COVID-19 check-in; Pfizer, Moderna, JNJ All Have Vaccines.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I think you're definitely right about chloroquine and it only helping some people. Im a RN in an ICU and in my experience so far with these COVID patients, it doesnt help everyone. It seems the ear

I've been desperately trying to keep politics out of my posts here, because this is a healthcare and people issue--NOT a political issue (or at least it shouldn't be).  Whoever or whatever chain

PINCH ME. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html

Posted Images

I remember way back when when Tom said I can moderate this thread, it is too depressing.  Well when I see these numbers now coming out of CA/TX/FL, I am getting pretty bummed.  Yeah they could be more about testing (I hope), but hospitalizations are going up (hopefully by a lesser percentage than new cases).  It is pretty :( when we have as many deaths in one day as Japan has had since day 1 and some European countries are 75% or more off their daily case highs and we can’t get below 50%.  We are failing the marshmallow test. Time for Jack.....

2 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I remember way back when when Tom said I can moderate this thread, it is too depressing.  Well when I see these numbers now coming out of CA/TX/FL, I am getting pretty bummed.  Yeah they could be more about testing (I hope), but hospitalizations are going up (hopefully by a lesser percentage than new cases).  It is pretty :( when we have as many deaths in one day as Japan has had since day 1 and some European countries are 75% or more off their daily case highs and we can’t get below 50%.  We are failing the marshmallow test. Time for Jack.....

I think a tiny little sliver of it is more testing, although I don't think the testing numbers have increased nearly as fast as the positive cases over the past 2 or so weeks.

Honestly I think more of it has to do with the protests that started happening late last month. This is not a debate of whether or not they should have happened and I'm not starting one - all I'm saying is that they did happen. In those initial weeks tens of thousands of people were standing shoulder to shoulder, some with masks but it seemed like the majority of them were without masks. The #1 piece of advice we've heard since the pandemic started was to social distance 6+ feet apart. Well, when thousands of people start breaking that rule day after day (while walking next to the same people much of the time - different than quickly jogging past someone in the opposite direction) what do you think is going to happen? The positive test count didn't really start jumping until 2-3 weeks after the protests started, pretty much in line with the time period for symptoms of the virus to show up. It's certainly possible that there are other factors at play like businesses re-opening but the timing is too much of a coincidence.

Frankly I'm not sure if it matters all that much why the numbers are going up, I'd just like to learn so we don't repeat those mistakes again before there's a vaccine. 

• Like 1

Congrats Phillies 😕

Good luck getting major sports back on track. I know NHL and NBA are pushing forward. It’s going to be a major challenge.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/phillies-have-major-coronavirus-outbreak-at-spring-training-facility/

edit: and now this...

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/tampa-bay-lightning-close-facility-after-positive-coronavirus-tests/

669F7D83-0257-4631-A2AA-C360917BEFF3.jpeg

2 hours ago, Parsley said:

Congrats Phillies 😕

Good luck getting major sports back on track. I know NHL and NBA are pushing forward. It’s going to be a major challenge.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/phillies-have-major-coronavirus-outbreak-at-spring-training-facility/

edit: and now this...

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/tampa-bay-lightning-close-facility-after-positive-coronavirus-tests/

669F7D83-0257-4631-A2AA-C360917BEFF3.jpeg

There may be relatively younger, but Florida Covid cases nonetheless are increasing rapidly.

3 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

https://www.islandpacket.com/sports/golf/rbc-heritage-tournament/article243665367.html

The Phillies situation, NBA setting up shop in FL & today a PGA pro testing positive, sports could be in jeopardy. At the very least fan participation could really be on thin ice.

I read some NHL players tested positive too.

14 hours ago, Harbourton said:

25% will do nothing to help big indoor restaurants. It's probably cost inefficient to open up unless they cheat.

If they can do indoor and take-out, maybe, just maybe.

I am showing by Facebook Certified Epidemiologist degree on display: the virus spreads much more efficiently indoors than outdoors.  With all the protests and Ozark pool parties every major city by now should be showing a spike of new cases and they are not.  Meanwhile a  large group of women go to a bar in Jacksonville and they all get it.

The cities of San Diego and Dallas had more confirmed coronavirus cases yesterday than New Jersey.  Houston's county had twice the confirmed cases of coronavirus that New York state had yesterday.

8 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

By far one of the more optimistic videos on treating coronavirus patients that require hospitalization (He talks about other subjects too):

Optimistic indeed. I'll have to start following that channel, guy seems about as reasonable as you can get.

I wonder what the reaction will be if, in 1-2 months from now, U.S. deaths continue to decline or hold steady even as positive cases are rising. I'm sure the best medical practices will continue to be used and we may even discover new treatments within that time frame. But sometimes I get this vibe like the media wants cases / hospitalizations / deaths to keep rising. No one wants to be sick of course, but isn't the ultimate goal to stop people from dying?

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, ACwx said:

Optimistic indeed. I'll have to start following that channel, guy seems about as reasonable as you can get.

I wonder what the reaction will be if, in 1-2 months from now, U.S. deaths continue to decline or hold steady even as positive cases are rising. I'm sure the best medical practices will continue to be used and we may even discover new treatments within that time frame. But sometimes I get this vibe like the media wants cases / hospitalizations / deaths to keep rising. No one wants to be sick of course, but isn't the ultimate goal to stop people from dying?

Yeah this web/you tube site is great. Totally apolitical.  Reminds me of my cousin who is an MD up in Hartford, very calm talking.

1 hour ago, ACwx said:

I see big rises in cases in many states that the media is feasting with almost giddiness.   But deaths continue to decline.    As we continue to increase testing, shouldn't we expect to see otherwise undetected cases being added to the tallies?   In other words, is increased counts all that alarming and be taken as a "look, look, it's spreading!".

8 minutes ago, iceman56 said:

I see big rises in cases in many states that the media is feasting with almost giddiness.   But deaths continue to decline.    As we continue to increase testing, shouldn't we expect to see otherwise undetected cases being added to the tallies?   In other words, is increased counts all that alarming and be taken as a "look, look, it's spreading!".

There's a correlation between increased testing and an increase in the number of cases, but correlation is not necessarily causation.  Strawman: an asymptomatic person is required to take at test to return to work and tests positive.  Such a case would not have been previously counted before testing was more available.  However, I would think (dangerous, I know) a "reasonable" person would only seek a test if they were exhibiting symptoms.  If there are more symptomatic people being tested, this would be evidence of community spread.  There is a host of epidemiological data being collected to trace origins, but the data is not consistent and therefore not readily compiled across broad geographic areas.  Someone smarter and more well read than me would be able to parse the statistical difference between increased transmission and increased testing and whether it's significant.

With regard to the decrease in deaths, I refer to what AC wrote earlier this afternoon.  The medical community is learning more about the virus, how if effects different people, and what treatments to employ at different times during its course.  In my mind this is resulting in fewer deaths.  But there is still much that remains unknown about why so many remain asymptomatic, some previously healthy people are struck severely, and others who have seemingly recovered have lingering and unusual complications. With community spread, the goal remains to maintain adequate surge capacity in hospital ICUs, keep healthcare professionals healthy, and encourage physical distancing to reduce community spread.  It's likely the virus will spread to up to 70% of the population, before herd immunity kicks in, unless a vaccine is developed in the short term. (Source: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/from-our-experts/early-herd-immunity-against-covid-19-a-dangerous-misconception).    For the foreseeable future, keep your contact bubble as small as possible.  Outside is better than inside, mask is better than no mask, distance is better than close proximity.  I think we all understand that some are more risk tolerant than others.  But be mindful of those with compromised or suppressed immune systems, as they are inherently more vulnerable to catching the virus and less able to fight it off.

As for the media, if it bleeds it leads.  We come here for a-hysterical information about the weather.  It's sometimes harder to be an a-hysterical consumer of news.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

The cities of San Diego and Dallas had more confirmed coronavirus cases yesterday than New Jersey.  Houston's county had twice the confirmed cases of coronavirus that New York state had yesterday.

I think that is partially due to proximity to Mexico, much as the earlier NY-area outbreak was partially due to "proximity" to Europe.  In Mexico, COVID daily death rates are still rising, unlike the USA where they have been falling since April 16.  Mexico's daily death-per-million is almost at the USA's peak number from April.

1 hour ago, PreserveJon said:

There's a correlation between increased testing and an increase in the number of cases, but correlation is not necessarily causation.  Strawman: an asymptomatic person is required to take at test to return to work and tests positive.  Such a case would not have been previously counted before testing was more available.  However, I would think (dangerous, I know) a "reasonable" person would only seek a test if they were exhibiting symptoms.  If there are more symptomatic people being tested, this would be evidence of community spread.  There is a host of epidemiological data being collected to trace origins, but the data is not consistent and therefore not readily compiled across broad geographic areas.  Someone smarter and more well read than me would be able to parse the statistical difference between increased transmission and increased testing and whether it's significant.

With regard to the decrease in deaths, I refer to what AC wrote earlier this afternoon.  The medical community is learning more about the virus, how if effects different people, and what treatments to employ at different times during its course.  In my mind this is resulting in fewer deaths.  But there is still much that remains unknown about why so many remain asymptomatic, some previously healthy people are struck severely, and others who have seemingly recovered have lingering and unusual complications. With community spread, the goal remains to maintain adequate surge capacity in hospital ICUs, keep healthcare professionals healthy, and encourage physical distancing to reduce community spread.  It's likely the virus will spread to up to 70% of the population, before herd immunity kicks in, unless a vaccine is developed in the short term. (Source: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/from-our-experts/early-herd-immunity-against-covid-19-a-dangerous-misconception).    For the foreseeable future, keep your contact bubble as small as possible.  Outside is better than inside, mask is better than no mask, distance is better than close proximity.  I think we all understand that some are more risk tolerant than others.  But be mindful of those with compromised or suppressed immune systems, as they are inherently more vulnerable to catching the virus and less able to fight it off.

As for the media, if it bleeds it leads.  We come here for a-hysterical information about the weather.  It's sometimes harder to be an a-hysterical consumer of news.

agreed...nice summary 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Very curious to hear from people who have a Jersey shore rental this year and what they are going to do. I have second week of August rental and I am still on the fence since I am age susceptible.

We're going to Wildwood for the last week of July and we can hardly wait! There'll be 10 of us (my wife, her parents, her sister and her son, and her brother and his wife & 2 kids). We will abide by whatever masking and social distancing requirements are in place, but I don't they're required on the beach or boardwalk. I'll obviously carry one if I enter a place to order food or drink.

2 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Very curious to hear from people who have a Jersey shore rental this year and what they are going to do. I have second week of August rental and I am still on the fence since I am age susceptible.

We had a rental in OCMD for this week and canceled it out of an abundance of caution  My wife is immune suppressed.  Even though the owner was not required to refund our money they obliged and returned our payment in full.  A mercy for which I'm grateful.  It seems there are no easy decisions these days.

3 hours ago, Harbourton said:

I've been down the CNJ coast quite a bit over the past 2 months & it keeps getting better every week. Very crowded for this time of year as everyone had cabin fever & I don't think many people are traveling far so the Jersey Shore should do well this summer. If you're apprehensive about being around people who don't wear masks outdoors then the shore is not the place for you. At this point people wearing masks outside are few & far between down the shore. As for myself I'll adhere the indoor guidelines but outdoors on the beach, boardwalk, golf course, exercising.....I'm not wearing a mask & it's pretty close to business as usual.

Looking forward to week in N. Wildwood 7/11-18, good timing as the water parks & boardwalk amusements will be reopening 7/2.

• Like 1