Meteorological Winter Banter Thread

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boo the cat doesn’t care for this snow, it’s nap time !

I totally get what you are saying.  I'd add that fortunately, I'd classify this as one of the more level headed forums in a general sense.  Small quantity, high quality.  I regularly peg myself a

Well at least I saw my 1st plowable snow event this week.....but I had to go all the way to Seattle on business to see it. It was fascinating to see their approach to snow removal there....or lack the

Posted Images

I can't remember when I've been less invested in winter, 1997-98, 2011-12?? Even during 2001-2002 I had more interest than this season if for no other reason than JB claiming to get the forecast right at 500mb.

outside of the weather X's & O's which for the most part out kick my coverage one thing Tony said that has stuck with me is never verify a forecast with a forecast, over the past 2 seasons never have those words held as much water throughout the other WX boards & social media

again, winter 2019-20, beyond the point of yawning

giphy.gif.546094796b5ebfc3d02824108a9f33bb.gif

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

I can't remember when I've been less invested in winter, 1997-98, 2011-12?? Even during 2001-2002 I had more interest than this season if for no other reason than JB claiming to get the forecast right at 500mb.

outside of the weather X's & O's which for the most part out kick my coverage one thing Tony said that has stuck with me is never verify a forecast with a forecast, over the past 2 seasons never have those words held as much water throughout the other WX boards & social media

again, winter 2019-20, beyond the point of yawning

giphy.gif.546094796b5ebfc3d02824108a9f33bb.gif

Yeah. Feels like 2011-12. 

With that said, anytime I wrote off snow threats the past few years later in the season  it felt like March came through with multiple events. So it ain’t over til April in these parts even when I wish it gone by March 1. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

November & March, the two true winter months. Are they garbage or is there snowiest model hugging?

I’d be happy to see no snow maps posted on a threat outside of 36 hours. Problem is weather model sites realize those maps draw the weenies in for views and/or ad revenue. 

9 hours ago, Parsley said:

I’d be happy to see no snow maps posted on a threat outside of 36 hours. Problem is weather model sites realize those maps draw the weenies in for views and/or ad revenue. 

There is a certain someone that has made a career out of it.  He is not stupid.

Different story I lost that discussion at Mount Holly as our snowfall maps went out further in time which we started in 2014-15.  The irony of this in the middle of the 2013-14 season, the previous forecast I inherited (decided to post a snow map that just covered the very start of the event) went nearly 100% with the Euro on having a major snow.  For continuity of forecast I had to heavily weigh the Euro and pretty much went with the aggressive snow forecast for the entire event which turned out to be the last time the Euro pulled a pro-snow coup.  PHL had around a foot of snow.  I got recognition for that forecast, we started posting snowfall maps out to 84hrs the next season.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Parsley said:

This new GFS is then a major revenue generator.  The cold and snowy (kind of goes hand and hand) bias has not been eliminated.  

• Like 1

Hi All, I know its an "imby" question and apologize.  My family is driving from north of Scranton to here (Wayne, Pa) on Fri or Sat. I said it would be better if they drove  down Fri vs Sat. Does anyone have a better handle on timing at this point? Thanks.

Also, I don't want to take  away from Tom's trademark of this winter but, I have been calling this Winter ....Wimpter with my friends. So very disappointing. I so look forward to these few months every year. We suffer through heat for so long and then this. Waa, Waaa....  From a Diary of a Wimpter 50 yr old.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Squally said:

Hi All, I know its an "imby" question and apologize.  My family is driving from north of Scranton to here (Wayne, Pa) on Fri or Sat. I said it would be better if they drove  down Fri vs Sat. Does anyone have a better handle on timing at this point? Thanks.

Also, I don't want to take  away from Tom's trademark of this winter but, I have been calling this Winter ....Wimpter with my friends. So very disappointing. I so look forward to these few months every year. We suffer through heat for so long and then this. Waa, Waaa....  From a Diary of a Wimpter 50 yr old.

Hi. Friday seems like the better option as the models show wintry precip. overspreading Eastern PA during the morning/midday hours on Saturday. Still a few days out and onset of precipitation isn’t etched in stone but Friday seems like a good day for travel.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Squally said:

Not that I like a Wimpter, but that is pretty funny and imaginative.  I echo Parsley, Friday you'd have no weather concerns at all.  It would be a true Wimpter if somehow Scranton just traces from this.

• Like 1

Winter of 77-78 is my favorite all-time. I was 16, and growing up in Quakertown we had an excellent lit ice skating area in the center of town that the fire company would flood water into from a small creek next to it. I think we started skating something like the second weekend after Thanksgiving and had few breaks through the entire Winter. When not skating, we would go out at night and take our toboggans to go down the old roads that went into Lake  Nockamixon which was created by the state a few years earlier. Sometimes if you took the right line and there wasn’t too much snow on the lake, you would just keep going...We’d eventually bail out while we were still moving because the walk back was getting out of hand. 

Sorry for the banter, but if I can’t have snow in reality, at least I can relive some sweet snowy memories. Thanks Colonel!!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PRINCETON ANGLER said:

Winter of 77-78 is my favorite all-time. I was 16, and growing up in Quakertown we had an excellent lit ice skating area in the center of town that the fire company would flood water into from a small creek next to it. I think we started skating something like the second weekend after Thanksgiving and had few breaks through the entire Winter. When not skating, we would go out at night and take our toboggans to go down the old roads that went into Lake  Nockamixon which was created by the state a few years earlier. Sometimes if you took the right line and there wasn’t too much snow on the lake, you would just keep going...We’d eventually bail out while we were still moving because the walk back was getting out of hand. 

Sorry for the banter, but if I can’t have snow in reality, at least I can relive some sweet snowy memories. Thanks Colonel!!

Had several snow days back then. Listening for our school number on KYW 1060 in the morning was always filled with excitement. Man I miss toboggans! Squeezing on several kids and go!

• Like 1

Trying to keep the memory lane stuff of the real threads, pathetic winter naturally means waxing nostalgic for the days of long duration man cold with lasting snow pack.

I officially entered weenidom on the morning of Jan 20th 1978. Snowing before we went to bed however the forecast was for 1-3/2-4 then rain. My dad woke me up early that morning before it was even light & told me to look out the window. Opened up the shade only to find you couldn't see out the window, it was completely covered by snow drifting off the top roof. What an amazing day, heavy snow continued for several more hours, changed to heavy wind driven sleet & finally tapered off to drizzle later in the afternoon. Our development did not get plowed for (4) days.

Heavy morning snow & a young 12 yr. old weenie fine tuning his craft

1161121686_jan201978am.jpg.46e708f87a0e11c586d79f571bf85ee7.jpg

img058.jpg.e1386e2cb874ba7e33fdab8eaa8dd7f8.jpg

Less than 3 wks later another classic that would lay the foundation for a very long period of cold & snow cover into the middle of March

92480841_feb1978.jpg.c365502dd5f14e560c15e85a8332338c.jpg

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Trying to keep the memory lane stuff of the real threads, pathetic winter naturally means waxing nostalgic for the days of long duration man cold with lasting snow pack.

I officially entered weenidom on the morning of Jan 20th 1978. Snowing before we went to bed however the forecast was for 1-3/2-4 then rain. My dad woke me up early that morning before it was even light & told me to look out the window. Opened up the shade only to find you couldn't see out the window, it was completely covered by snow drifting off the top roof. What an amazing day, heavy snow continued for several more hours, changed to heavy wind driven sleet & finally tapered off to drizzle later in the afternoon. Our development did not get plowed for (4) days.

Heavy morning snow & a young 12 yr. old weenie fine tuning his craft

1161121686_jan201978am.jpg.46e708f87a0e11c586d79f571bf85ee7.jpg

img058.jpg.e1386e2cb874ba7e33fdab8eaa8dd7f8.jpg

Less than 3 wks later another classic that would lay the foundation for a very long period of cold & snow cover into the middle of March

92480841_feb1978.jpg.c365502dd5f14e560c15e85a8332338c.jpg

I can't tell you just how much I love that photo of snow drifts. Back in Michigan, we too had a blizzard and very cold weather. I remember hanging outside for hours in a sub-zero winter wonderland of snow. 

Yawnter Wonderland just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Like 2