Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestions for eradicating pokeweed? Did not know better and tried digging it up but did not get all of the tap root. Yeah, I know. This is how we learn. What I dug up bagged for disposal. Was wearing gloves during digging up. Was not wearing gloves for disposal. Washed hands both times. Tyler

• Like 1
On 10/17/2021 at 6:27 AM, Rainshadow23.0 said:

The winner today could be 28 under. Regardless it is nice to see Rickie back in this position. It’s been a long, long time.

Rickie went back to Butch Harmon (teaching pro) before this weeks tournament. I think that Butch was trying to get Rickie into more of an upright swing so the club stays on track longer which he did before and Rickie lapsed back to old swing plane. JMO

On 10/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, rramblings said:

Suggestions for eradicating pokeweed? Did not know better and tried digging it up but did not get all of the tap root. Yeah, I know. This is how we learn. What I dug up bagged for disposal. Was wearing gloves during digging up. Was not wearing gloves for disposal. Washed hands both times. Tyler

Ugh....sorry you are dealing with it.  When we first moved in and before we cleared out the brush in our yard, I had numerous ugly run-ins with pokeweed. Eight years later, it still comes up in a few of the usual suspect spots in our yard.  

It's a pain in the ass to get the whole taproot with the ones that are really grown out, but that's really the only way to do it. Also very important to get it before the berries (seeds) form, but you probably already know that.  Good luck.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Ugh....sorry you are dealing with it.  When we first moved in and before we cleared out the brush in our yard, I had numerous ugly run-ins with pokeweed. Eight years later, it still comes up in a few of the usual suspect spots in our yard.  

It's a pain in the ass to get the whole taproot with the ones that are really grown out, but that's really the only way to do it. Also very important to get it before the berries (seeds) form, but you probably already know that.  Good luck.

I learned the hard way about the berries. I know that that now. 🥴 Had never experienced it until now. Thanks @mshaffer526 for your response and commiserating with me. I did not get all the taproots so it will come back, hopefully better able yo deal with it when it does.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:06 PM, frankdp23 said:

Wife brought home a fig tree yesterday....I busted out laughing :)  

Figs trees have an infamous wrap on this site for some reason... 😉

• Like 2

It amazes me that Patrick Reed's wife is continuing her crusade with her burner Twitter account.  It looks like she's also been busy editing his Wikipedia article too.  🤣

• Like 1

After three weeks of constant watering after the aeration/overseeding, I finally went ahead and mowed the lawn last night.  Really happy with how it turned out, much more lush and a lot less weeds.  Still some bare patches but much more filled in than before, I can always spot seed those in the spring.

6RwXom0XKPfJet4VSroIDFZrfgH7DEfqGDXnDmYO

RbrMEs-wtF3h47-7-CHe57KwnEsRZ8BfthjCmy4M

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

After three weeks of constant watering after the aeration/overseeding, I finally went ahead and mowed the lawn last night.  Really happy with how it turned out, much more lush and a lot less weeds.  Still some bare patches but much more filled in than before, I can always spot seed those in the spring.

6RwXom0XKPfJet4VSroIDFZrfgH7DEfqGDXnDmYO

RbrMEs-wtF3h47-7-CHe57KwnEsRZ8BfthjCmy4M

It's a good feeling. This is the first fall since moving into this new house in 2019 that I don't need to aerate/overseed in the fall. 

• Like 1

Hey @tombo82685 what is your recommended time for the final  fert. app of the season for the lawn around here. Do you prefer a specific breakdown of NPK for the final app. for our lawns? I know the Nitrogen we want high levels of. 

18 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Hey @tombo82685 what is your recommended time for the final  fert. app of the season for the lawn around here. Do you prefer a specific breakdown of NPK for the final app. for our lawns? I know the Nitrogen we want high levels of. 

I usually put a slow release down right around last mowing. That way you build root growth and not top growth. get something with atleast 30% slow release. Analysis weise something like a 3-0-2 ratio, like 30-0-16

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I usually put a slow release down right around last mowing. That way you build root growth and not top growth. get something with atleast 30% slow release. Analysis weise something like a 3-0-2 ratio, like 30-0-16

Thank you!

45 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

I did a cut yesterday and expecting maybe  2 more?

Yeah, most likely. If we get a stretch of upper 20s mornings this week that should really slow things down as soil temps. drop below 50 in the weeks ahead.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Played yesterday in a Ryder Cup format - 9 holes better ball, 9 holes alternate shot, 9 holes singles (two man teams). When the squall line hit, it got nuts pretty quickly. I got the feeing that the golf gods were giving us a taste of what playing in Scotland weather is really all about.

• 2 weeks later...