Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

Jon Rahm just had the punch bowl pulled away from him. After getting a hole in one this morning and had a six stroke lead going into Sunday he found out he tested positive for Covid and has to withdraw.

A Holmdel Lady is on the leaderboard at the US Women’s Open. She is 17 years old (Ganne I think is her last name) and is going to Stanford in the fall. 

Large turtle on its way to a pond on the 7th green at Golden Pheasant yesterday.AF1ACE96-11CF-41DB-879A-A5EEC8C1A7B4.jpeg.37585af896865bdc47fda20b2a5492ff.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

On 5/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, rramblings said:

We ate outside at our local diner. A lot of very tiny black things with white spots. Nymph Lantern Flies? Killed them.

Crush them crush them crush them. They hop like mad. I just bought mantis eggs.

• Like 4
On 5/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, frankdp23 said:

My one tree in the back of my property was loaded with them a few days ago.   Unfortunately it is a tree of heaven, their favorite tree.   It may have to come down this year.

Just FYI, Tree of Heaven can be invasive and difficult to cut down.  It also has toxins in the bark that are poisionous to dogs and can be harmful to some people that are sensitive to it.  If you take it down, wear gloves and break out the mask (if you've put it away already)

https://extension.psu.edu/tree-of-heaven

3 hours ago, jec6 said:

Just FYI, Tree of Heaven can be invasive and difficult to cut down.  It also has toxins in the bark that are poisionous to dogs and can be harmful to some people that are sensitive to it.  If you take it down, wear gloves and break out the mask (if you've put it away already)

Thank you,  I didn't know this.  I think I will have a company take it down if needed.  It is close to a neighbors fence so I wouldn't want to risk doing it myself.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Crush them crush them crush them. They hop like mad. I just bought mantis eggs.

As unappealing and disgusting as it may be, putting tape traps around the tree trunks work best. You can get them from Home Depot or Lowes. The tape catches the nymphs and is more effective than the sprays or powders.

12 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Jon Rahm just had the punch bowl pulled away from him. After getting a hole in one this morning and had a six stroke lead going into Sunday he found out he tested positive for Covid and has to withdraw.

A Holmdel Lady is on the leaderboard at the US Women’s Open. She is 17 years old (Ganne I think is her last name) and is going to Stanford in the fall. 

Large turtle on its way to a pond on the 7th green at Golden Pheasant yesterday.AF1ACE96-11CF-41DB-879A-A5EEC8C1A7B4.jpeg.37585af896865bdc47fda20b2a5492ff.jpeg

Snapper..

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

As unappealing and disgusting as it may be, putting tape traps around the tree trunks work best. You can get them from Home Depot or Lowes. The tape catches the nymphs and is more effective than the sprays or powders.

Much to Tom's delight I see the most in our fig trees. There is not one single trunk, one of them has about 15-20 shoots because of die back.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Escar-go by Gardens Alive or slug and snail bait at Lowe’s.

My wife researched on the internet and used old coffee grounds. Lo and behold it worked. They don't like caffeine.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, jec6 said:

@frankdp23On the ranch we band them in a sense by cutting about a 6” section of bark away from the tree all of the way around it. Tree will die. 

14 minutes ago, White_Mtn_Wx said:

@frankdp23On the ranch we band them in a sense by cutting about a 6” section of bark away from the tree all of the way around it. Tree will die. 

Thank you!  I didn't even know what kind of tree it was until I saw them on it last year and looked it up.  I have one, and my neighbor has one as well.  

15 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Lexi Thompson gave the US Open away. I don’t know how you leave the putt on 18 short.

Her putter has just killed her over the last few years.

2 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Her putter has just killed her over the last few years.

True. Would not have thought at this point in her career she would have just one major. Then again what happened to her in the middle of her final round at the ANA was just cruel.

Anyone one here with a green thumb who has some suggestions for how I can help this two year old Pin Oak seedling. I posted a few weeks ago and I don’t think anyone could help. Am trying again because I am getting desperate. Will contact the local ag extension and take her to a garden center that has a nursery. 

She had these leaf spots last fall. After the recent rains, noticed more spots. She is in sun. Treat her with Noom oil. I put her under the soffit in heavy rain. My arborist thought problems last year was a fungus. Thanks for any help. 

Tyler

C1A4A08C-19E0-465A-8402-76C344A4CD77.jpeg

9D3ECFD0-23C9-4185-A138-D1E55DECF352.jpeg

1 hour ago, PRINCETON ANGLER said:

I’ve had bacterial leaf scorch take out two oak trees in my yard and I have a third treated every year. Perhaps that’s what you are dealing with?

https://extension.psu.edu/bacterial-leaf-scorch

Hmm, thanks. Read the info on the link you sent. Mama Pin looks ok on preliminary examination. I know she was parent cause seedling started in some soil under my porch near by. Have a Red Oak on the other side of my property and will take a look later. Many years had a Norway maple that had verticillium wilt ( if I recall) spread thru soil. So am familiar with these types of diseases. Something to talk to arborist about later. Tyler 

On 6/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, rramblings said:

Anyone one here with a green thumb who has some suggestions for how I can help this two year old Pin Oak seedling. I posted a few weeks ago and I don’t think anyone could help. Am trying again because I am getting desperate. Will contact the local ag extension and take her to a garden center that has a nursery. 

She had these leaf spots last fall. After the recent rains, noticed more spots. She is in sun. Treat her with Noom oil. I put her under the soffit in heavy rain. My arborist thought problems last year was a fungus. Thanks for any help. 

Tyler

C1A4A08C-19E0-465A-8402-76C344A4CD77.jpeg

9D3ECFD0-23C9-4185-A138-D1E55DECF352.jpeg

Tyler,

I don’t know.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Any bets today on the winner of the Us Open? I'll go with McCllroy, but I'm rooting for Oosthuizen. It took forever to get the spellings of those names;)

I can give you a name and be wrong. I just marveled that DeChambeau, I mean Brooksie, just hit a pitching wedge 174 yards and 33 inches to the 175 yard par 3 eighth.