Jump to content

Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread


Recommended Posts

On 3/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, Chubbs said:

LOL, that isn't me in Pics 1 and 2. Wish it was he was crushing the ball -  the layoff helped him more than me. Yes looking forward to getting together and working on the summer outlook.

I295 Tour back this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Our lettuce in one pot survived the winter outdoors.  Our arugula bolted even before this past week.  Silly arugula. I am moving our potted section off to the side of the back yard. I am thinking about it.

Arugula from last fall? I had some that wintered over and it looks like it's trying to recover. How is the taste?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eastonwx said:

Arugula from last fall? I had some that wintered over and it looks like it's trying to recover. How is the taste?

Once I saw the heads I wouldn’t try it. This is butter lettuce that made it.

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

What in the hell is going on at Sawgrass?! 

Dude!!! Bryson looking like a weekend hacker here!!! Worm burner off the tee, and a dead shank on his drop...

 

westwood slicing soo hard too

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

3 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Dude!!! Bryson looking like a weekend hacker here!!! Worm burner off the tee, and a dead shank on his drop...

 

westwood slicing soo hard too

A weekend hacker would consider those horrible shots, for a top pro it's beyond embarrassing.

Lol, a short 382yd par 4

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Just saw the flag on 17 and how dialed in Rickie was in 2014?, 2015? to go after that flag.  Westwood feeling it. Could be Thomas’s.

Wasn’t a wild call, he knows how to close. Got a nice kick to the right along the water’s edge on 18. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

I'll be at Sawgrass in 2 weeks.  Visiting family there that have a house on one of the holes.  Love that whole area.  Would want to retire down there when it is time.  

We went down there late October a couple of years ago. Yeah the area was nice. I think about it or Williamsburg.  Jacksonville Intl was a nice airport to fly in/out of. We did play the course. It was hard to keep tee shots on the fairway. That island green is not that big. I was so happy my tee shot landed on it, I didn’t care it rolled off the back. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

We went down there late October a couple of years ago. Yeah the area was nice. I think about it or Williamsburg.  Jacksonville Intl was a nice airport to fly in/out of. We did play the course. It was hard to keep tee shots on the fairway. That island green is not that big. I was so happy my tee shot landed on it, I didn’t care it rolled off the back. 

I didn't play it even though my wife's aunt could have gotten me on.  She used to work at Sawgrass in the finance department.  She just told us today that one of her friends a few homes down had a neighbor that rented out their house for the weekend to Rory.  That is pretty awesome!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

I didn't play it even though my wife's aunt could have gotten me on.  She used to work at Sawgrass in the finance department.  She just told us today that one of her friends a few homes down had a neighbor that rented out their house for the weekend to Rory.  That is pretty awesome!

Pretty cool!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last fall I did a heavy reseeding of my lawn and it looked awesome.  We had about perfect weather for germination and the seed took very well.  I'm hoping to keep the progress growing this sping and would like some help. 

So as we're a month or so away from lawn growing / mowing season, can someone give me some recommendations on how I know if I need something, what the optimal application timing is, if they can be mixed  or what order to approach and what best products for applications of

1. Pre-emergent (as I understand it, this keeps any weed seeds from germinating)

2. Lime / PH adjuster (how much do you put down (is this a spring or fall thing, does it need to be done in tandem with or not at the same time as other applicants)

3. Aeration (I've done this once a year in the fall in the past)

4. Weed & Feed

5. any other steps 

A couple years ago Tom gave some really good feedback on seeding types and timing.  I'm trying to build a holistic guide for myself / others:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jec6 said:

Last fall I did a heavy reseeding of my lawn and it looked awesome.  We had about perfect weather for germination and the seed took very well.  I'm hoping to keep the progress growing this sping and would like some help. 

So as we're a month or so away from lawn growing / mowing season, can someone give me some recommendations on how I know if I need something, what the optimal application timing is, if they can be mixed  or what order to approach and what best products for applications of

1. Pre-emergent (as I understand it, this keeps any weed seeds from germinating)

2. Lime / PH adjuster (how much do you put down (is this a spring or fall thing, does it need to be done in tandem with or not at the same time as other applicants)

3. Aeration (I've done this once a year in the fall in the past)

4. Weed & Feed

5. any other steps 

A couple years ago Tom gave some really good feedback on seeding types and timing.  I'm trying to build a holistic guide for myself / others:

 

Definitely wait for @tombo82685 to chime in. He'll have all the good info.  Speaking on the first thing on your list, pre-emergent is best applied when soil temps are closing in on 50 degrees (just before crabgrass becomes able to sprout). We are still a ways from that being the case and I know Tombo always lets people know here when the time is right to put it down. Remember, if you put down most types of pre-emergents you won't be able to do any spring reseeding as it would stunt/inhibit it's growth. That's why reseeding is better off being done in late summer and early fall.

Aeration I think is best done late summer/early fall too, muddy spring soil could make a real mess of things and again throwing down grass seed is best done late summer/early fall in tandem with aeration. 

I'll wait for tombo to chime in on your other questions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, jec6 said:

Last fall I did a heavy reseeding of my lawn and it looked awesome.  We had about perfect weather for germination and the seed took very well.  I'm hoping to keep the progress growing this sping and would like some help. 

So as we're a month or so away from lawn growing / mowing season, can someone give me some recommendations on how I know if I need something, what the optimal application timing is, if they can be mixed  or what order to approach and what best products for applications of

1. Pre-emergent (as I understand it, this keeps any weed seeds from germinating)

2. Lime / PH adjuster (how much do you put down (is this a spring or fall thing, does it need to be done in tandem with or not at the same time as other applicants)

3. Aeration (I've done this once a year in the fall in the past)

4. Weed & Feed

5. any other steps 

A couple years ago Tom gave some really good feedback on seeding types and timing.  I'm trying to build a holistic guide for myself / others:

 

I’ll get to this in the evening 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, jec6 said:

Last fall I did a heavy reseeding of my lawn and it looked awesome.  We had about perfect weather for germination and the seed took very well.  I'm hoping to keep the progress growing this sping and would like some help. 

So as we're a month or so away from lawn growing / mowing season, can someone give me some recommendations on how I know if I need something, what the optimal application timing is, if they can be mixed  or what order to approach and what best products for applications of

1. Pre-emergent (as I understand it, this keeps any weed seeds from germinating)

2. Lime / PH adjuster (how much do you put down (is this a spring or fall thing, does it need to be done in tandem with or not at the same time as other applicants)

3. Aeration (I've done this once a year in the fall in the past)

4. Weed & Feed

5. any other steps 

A couple years ago Tom gave some really good feedback on seeding types and timing.  I'm trying to build a holistic guide for myself / others:

 

1. Pre emergent will keep crabgrass and maybe a few other grassy weeds from germinating, not broadleaf weeds. When you put this down, you can't seed because it will restrict seed growth as Parsley stated. For this area I usually put mine down early to mid May. That way if you wanted to seed in spring it gives you a month for seeds to germinate. I don't do spring seeding, waste of money and time as most of the time that new seed just gets smoked with the summer stress and or diseases and never makes it as it's not fully mature yet before going into the summer. Best time to seed is September and early October

2. How much PH to put down depends on how off your soil PH is. Best range for nutrients to be freely available in soil and not bound up is between 6.5-7. I would get a soil test to determine your Ph level. Some soil reports tell you how many lbs of lime to put down to bring your soil PH up to par. In general though, don't put more than 50lbs of lime/k at one time. If soil analysis calls for 100 or 200lbs of lime do split apps throughout the season. Wouldn't do it in summer, but any other time is fine. 

3. Soil aeration is always a good thing as it removes thatch build up, helps relive compaction, improves drainage, incorporates oxygen into root zone which helps push root growth further down. If you want to do this in spring, do it before you put pre emerge down and make sure holes have been filled once you put pre emerge down. Ideally, September into October is the best time.

4. I'm not a fan of the weed and feed products, granular herbicides don't have nearly the efficacy as liquid herbicides. But if you have a yard that is loaded with weeds, might be your best route to take. Just be careful you don't overdose it because you can kill grass. Also need to apply this when there is a heavy dew because the product has to stick to the leaf blade or it won't do anything. I love liquid herbicides, they get full 100% uptake by the plant and environment friendly as there is less risk of product washing off into other water sources. Fertilizer wise, I like to throw some food on the grass right after the plant has gone wild producing its seedheads. They use a lot of carbohydrates in that photosynthesis process which leaves the plant a bit depleted headed into summer. So I like to give it some food then to help it through. Then you can spoon feed maybe .1/.2lbs of slow release fertilizer every 2 weeks, or when you fertilizer after seedhead production you can just put down a slow release fertilizer that feeds for 3 months. Then come back in September and hit the lawn good with a lb/k of nitrogen, then early in oct, then go with .5 or so /k in nov when turf growth slows or stops, this will help build root depth and not top growth as soil temps are still warm.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok the Masters is on the radar and unlike last year will be played at the normal date and time. Tony let me know the weather so I can make an uneducated wager.

 

ODDS TO WIN 2021 MASTERS (4/8/21 - 4/11/21)
Golfer American Fractional
Dustin Johnson +850 17/2
Bryson Dechambeau +900 9/1
Justin Thomas +1000 10/1
Jon Rahm +1100 11/1
Brooks Koepka +1200 12/1
Jordan Spieth +1200 12/1
Rory McIlroy +1400 14/1
Xander Schauffele +2000 20/1
Collin Morikawa +2200 22/1
Patrick Cantlay +2200 22/1
Patrick Reed +2700 27/1
Tony Finau +2700 27/1
Viktor Hovland +2700 27/1
Lee Westwood +2900 29/1
Tyrrell Hatton +2900 29/1
Daniel Berger +3300 33/1
Hideki Matsuyama +3400 34/1
Cameron Smith +3700 37/1
Sungjae Im +3700 37/1
Webb Simpson +3700 37/1
Jason Day +4100 41/1
Paul Casey +4100 41/1
Matthew Fitzpatrick +4200 42/1
Sergio Garcia +4200 42/1
Adam Scott +4500 45/1
Bubba Watson +4500 45/1
Justin Rose +4500 45/1
JoaquIn Niemann +4800 48/1
Harris English +5000 50/1
Matthew Wolff +5000 50/1
Scottie Scheffler +5000 50/1
Tommy Fleetwood +5000 50/1
Francesco Molinari +6000 60/1
Abraham Ancer +6500 65/1
Cameron Champ +6500 65/1
Louis Oosthuizen +6500 65/1
Max Homa +6500 65/1
Shane Lowry +6500 65/1
Will Zalatoris +6500 65/1
Corey Conners +8000 80/1
Gary Woodland +8000 80/1
Phil Mickelson +8000 80/1
Rickie Fowler +8000 80/1
Robert MacIntyre +8000 80/1
Jason Kokrak +9000 90/1
Carlos Ortiz +10000 100/1
Christiaan Bezuidenhout +10000 100/1
Danny Willett +10000 100/1
Dylan Frittelli +10000 100/1
Kevin Kisner +10000 100/1
Marc Leishman +10000 100/1
Matt Kuchar +10000 100/1
Si Woo Kim +10000 100/1
Henrik Stenson +12000 120/1
Matt Wallace +12000 120/1
Sebastian Munoz +13000 130/1
Byeong Hun An +15000 150/1
Erik Van Rooyen +15000 150/1
Ian Poulter +15000 150/1
Lanto Griffin +15000 150/1
Rasmus Hojgaard +15000 150/1
Ryan Palmer +15000 150/1
Victor Perez +15000 150/1
Zach Johnson +15000 150/1
Bernd Wiesberger +18000 180/1
Billy Horschel +18000 180/1
Brendon Todd +18000 180/1
Kevin Na +18000 180/1
CT Pan +21000 210/1
Hudson Swafford +21000 210/1
Charl Schwartzel +27000 270/1
Chez Reavie +27000 270/1
Graeme McDowell +27000 270/1
Jimmy Walker +27000 270/1
Mackenzie Hughes +27000 270/1
Martin Laird +27000 270/1
Michael Thompson +27000 270/1
Brian Gay +32000 320/1
Jim Herman +42000 420/1
Bernhard Langer +50000 500/1
Fred Couples +50000 500/1
Tyler Strafaci +50000 500/1
Vijay Singh +50000 500/1
Charles Obsorne +100000 1000/1
Joe Long +100000 1000/1
Jose Maria Olazabal +100000 1000/1
Larry Mize +100000 1000/1
Mike Weir +100000 1000/1
Sandy Lyle +100000 1000/1

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

Ok the Masters is on the radar and unlike last year will be played at the normal date and time. Tony let me know the weather so I can make an uneducated wager.

 

ODDS TO WIN 2021 MASTERS (4/8/21 - 4/11/21)
Golfer American Fractional
Dustin Johnson +850 17/2
Bryson Dechambeau +900 9/1
Justin Thomas +1000 10/1
Jon Rahm +1100 11/1
Brooks Koepka +1200 12/1
Jordan Spieth +1200 12/1
Rory McIlroy +1400 14/1
Xander Schauffele +2000 20/1
Collin Morikawa +2200 22/1
Patrick Cantlay +2200 22/1
Patrick Reed +2700 27/1
Tony Finau +2700 27/1
Viktor Hovland +2700 27/1
Lee Westwood +2900 29/1
Tyrrell Hatton +2900 29/1
Daniel Berger +3300 33/1
Hideki Matsuyama +3400 34/1
Cameron Smith +3700 37/1
Sungjae Im +3700 37/1
Webb Simpson +3700 37/1
Jason Day +4100 41/1
Paul Casey +4100 41/1
Matthew Fitzpatrick +4200 42/1
Sergio Garcia +4200 42/1
Adam Scott +4500 45/1
Bubba Watson +4500 45/1
Justin Rose +4500 45/1
JoaquIn Niemann +4800 48/1
Harris English +5000 50/1
Matthew Wolff +5000 50/1
Scottie Scheffler +5000 50/1
Tommy Fleetwood +5000 50/1
Francesco Molinari +6000 60/1
Abraham Ancer +6500 65/1
Cameron Champ +6500 65/1
Louis Oosthuizen +6500 65/1
Max Homa +6500 65/1
Shane Lowry +6500 65/1
Will Zalatoris +6500 65/1
Corey Conners +8000 80/1
Gary Woodland +8000 80/1
Phil Mickelson +8000 80/1
Rickie Fowler +8000 80/1
Robert MacIntyre +8000 80/1
Jason Kokrak +9000 90/1
Carlos Ortiz +10000 100/1
Christiaan Bezuidenhout +10000 100/1
Danny Willett +10000 100/1
Dylan Frittelli +10000 100/1
Kevin Kisner +10000 100/1
Marc Leishman +10000 100/1
Matt Kuchar +10000 100/1
Si Woo Kim +10000 100/1
Henrik Stenson +12000 120/1
Matt Wallace +12000 120/1
Sebastian Munoz +13000 130/1
Byeong Hun An +15000 150/1
Erik Van Rooyen +15000 150/1
Ian Poulter +15000 150/1
Lanto Griffin +15000 150/1
Rasmus Hojgaard +15000 150/1
Ryan Palmer +15000 150/1
Victor Perez +15000 150/1
Zach Johnson +15000 150/1
Bernd Wiesberger +18000 180/1
Billy Horschel +18000 180/1
Brendon Todd +18000 180/1
Kevin Na +18000 180/1
CT Pan +21000 210/1
Hudson Swafford +21000 210/1
Charl Schwartzel +27000 270/1
Chez Reavie +27000 270/1
Graeme McDowell +27000 270/1
Jimmy Walker +27000 270/1
Mackenzie Hughes +27000 270/1
Martin Laird +27000 270/1
Michael Thompson +27000 270/1
Brian Gay +32000 320/1
Jim Herman +42000 420/1
Bernhard Langer +50000 500/1
Fred Couples +50000 500/1
Tyler Strafaci +50000 500/1
Vijay Singh +50000 500/1
Charles Obsorne +100000 1000/1
Joe Long +100000 1000/1
Jose Maria Olazabal +100000 1000/1
Larry Mize +100000 1000/1
Mike Weir +100000 1000/1
Sandy Lyle +100000 1000/1

 

Such pressure. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...