Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

Tough to look good when you just had another back surgery.

all the more reason not to be driving, suppose he plowed into somebody head on when he crossed the other side of the road before crashing

he never has to get behind the wheel for the rest of life

19 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

I have lost control of  the car numerous times (ice and animals) which could have resulted is a collision in the opposing lane.

Don't pre judge. Done

let me know when you're on the road & I'll make sure I'm home

10 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Damn, he crossed over thru the opposing traffic lanes. 😟

over 476', a good part of that off road

at the very least speed is an issue here, again very fortunate a family of four wasn't coming the other direction

Reports from the area indicate he left the hotel "at a high rate of speed", and later lost control, hit and rode up the median/ barrier, then barrel-rolled across the opposite lanes and off the other side. Quite a trip but the constant motion (shedding energy) and the airbags probably kept him mostly in one piece. 
Side note: Use of "the Jaws" or similar tools is now VERY common at accident scenes. Good device to pop a door or sunroof to gain quick access.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, eastonwx said:

@Rainshadow6.6 thanks for the Burpees tip, ordered and already received my seeds (I had never bought Burpee seeds online before). Now we sit in gardening purgatory

I actually got thru to Johnny's today.  Of course the pole beans I wanted were already out of stock.  I ordered a couple of things from them.  Hopefully they arrive by June.  I ordered a second time from Burpees and already received the seeds from them.  I may start eggplants this week, yeah the rest will stay in packet hibernation.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

I actually got thru to Johnny's today.  😡 Of course the pole beans I wanted were already out of stock 😡  I ordered a couple of things from them.  Hopefully they arrive by June.  I ordered a second time from Burpees and already received the seeds from them.  I may start eggplants this week :happyyes:, yeah the rest will stay in packet hibernation.

I was thinking about starting some things indoors soon...do you use a heating pad? The only space I have for seed starting is my basement, which is about 60 degrees,  great for the early summer heat but not so great for starting seeds

4 hours ago, eastonwx said:

I was thinking about starting some things indoors soon...do you use a heating pad? The only space I have for seed starting is my basement, which is about 60 degrees,  great for the early summer heat but not so great for starting seeds

I violate many prime directives.  I start them by the southwest facing guest bedroom window.  Yeah they are spindly, but they do straighten out once planted.  I just have to net them so no bird decides they are great nesting material. A heating pad or an overhead light is the better way of doing it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

8 & 18? Amazing how wet they stay.

LOL, those are 2 of the whopping 4 holes that I hit the fairway

surprisingly #8 wasn't too bad, #18 is a different story, hit my best drive of the day only to have it completely plug

the par 5 14th hole was the worst by far, they had to move the tee boxes up to the other side of the pond because there were 2 huge mini ponds of standing water in the fairway

the large waste are on 7 was 3/4 full with water & #1 was canal along the length of the cart path on the right side

it's been very wet everywhere we've played this winter so that wasn't a big deal, real issue with WED was the wind down there, gusting over 30mph all afternoon & on that wide open course with holes on top of the landfill it was really tough, I hit a drive as good as I can hit it on 7 & it never cleared the waste area which is about 200yds, on the par 3 #13 which has the elevated tee box I normally hit 7 iron, WED I hit a solid 3 wood that barely made it past the water short of the green

with that wind probably would have been better playing Harbor Pines but hey any golf day is a good day in my book

This backyard is gonna be a project. Anyone have recommendations? I’m all ears!! Haha. (Buddy has an aerator that he’s bringing over in March, and plan on backfilling some of the lower divots. But  yea, need a way to to move this water out quicker. Im guessing draining to front of house? (My house is lowest point on block. Drains faster, I just think it hasn’t caught up since the august rainstorms). 

doesn’t look this bad usually, but the snowmelt hurts 

2C8E05B2-D8B8-444F-9814-C7A6E699FF2D.jpeg

On 3/1/2021 at 5:40 PM, lman said:

Can anyone recommend a good early spring lawn fertilizer/emergent weed killer that is safe for pets?  Is corn gluten the way to go?  Thanks in advance!

Well if you want effective, corn gluten isn't the way to go. You're going to have to go with a synthetic product. Do you have a lot of weeds or just spotty?

On 3/1/2021 at 8:23 PM, irishbri74 said:

This backyard is gonna be a project. Anyone have recommendations? I’m all ears!! Haha. (Buddy has an aerator that he’s bringing over in March, and plan on backfilling some of the lower divots. But  yea, need a way to to move this water out quicker. Im guessing draining to front of house? (My house is lowest point on block. Drains faster, I just think it hasn’t caught up since the august rainstorms). 

doesn’t look this bad usually, but the snowmelt hurts 

2C8E05B2-D8B8-444F-9814-C7A6E699FF2D.jpeg

Would be my recommendation. Get soil to raise areas I have circled to get surface runoff down into the middle. Looks like there is fall from middle of that area that runs off the property to wards fence? If not, funnel it into an area where the water will collect that put a surface daylight drain to catch standing water then run it off the property with pipe underground 

2C8E05B2-D8B8-444F-9814-C7A6E699FF2D.jpeg.8f49578deae467aa4732a8d876ec7fa5.jpeg.2b5442cd559d5417d6719c2785ec039e.jpeg

• Like 2