Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

14 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Fertilized yesterday with lime and fall mixture as I was getting a bit yellow 

Noticed some yellowing too. I think the grass has had it between the heavy frost here (around 30) last week and then basically no sun since. Overall still looks very good, but the signs are there that it's almost OVAH!

• Like 1
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Fertilized yesterday with lime and fall mixture as I was getting a bit yellow 

5 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Noticed some yellowing too. I think the grass has had it between the heavy frost here (around 30) last week and then basically no sun since. Overall still looks very good, but the signs are there that it's almost OVAH!

Could also be a common turf disease this time of year called rust. When you mow or walk through it leaves an orangish tinge to mower or shoes. 

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Could also be a common turf disease this time of year called rust. When you mow or walk through it leaves an orangish tinge to mower or shoes. 

Luckily, no rust on the blades I just checked. Still mowing every 3-4 days. Guess it will slow down....eventually. I don't mind mowing unless it's like today.

2 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Luckily, no rust on the blades I just checked. Still mowing every 3-4 days. Guess it will slow down....eventually. I don't mind mowing unless it's like today.

Thats good, that usually pops up in fall and a sign of low fertility. Yea I'm mowing every 3-4 days as well. I put down a lb of nitrogen back in mid sept then followed up 3 weeks later with .5-.75 lbs of slow release 3 month feed nitrogen. Will build some nice roots over the next couple months and help with a nice early spring green up

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

What's the cure for this?

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

Peppers survived another frosty night.

peppers.JPG

nice, 3 wks. ago I moved my potted peppers from the very minimal sunlight backyard to south facing front of the house, tried to shelter as best as possible however 1 plant was completely cooked & the other had the top half killed so that'll be it for my veggies this season

Last 2 years the peppers started really slow came on big time once we got to Sept.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Got my inground irrigation installed Monday and Tuesday. Perfect timing before the rain. 

Looking forward to next growing season and seeing how it all works. 

That is on my to do list one of these years.  I have an acre, but think that I only need enough to maybe cover half an acre with the landscaping and pool taking up a decent amount of space on the lawn.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

That is on my to do list one of these years.  I have an acre, but think that I only need enough to maybe cover half an acre with the landscaping and pool taking up a decent amount of space on the lawn.  

Yeah. Always wanted one. Can’t wait to use it. At least out here in PA it was quite affordable and that was with zones for grass and all my gardens. Granted, I have just under  a 1/4 acre, so not big. Excited to use Hydrawise app. to control it all too. 

• Like 1

All this bulls$t about De Cambleau bringing Augusta to it's knees has evaporated to use a weather term. 

Nicklaus and Player demanded that there should be golf ball restrictions. I think the grand old laddy is holding its own even though the greens are soft and may be offset by the unusually thick rough.

Great to have something to watch other than news.

3 hours ago, Harbourton said:

All this bulls$t about De Cambleau bringing Augusta to it's knees has evaporated to use a weather term. 

Nicklaus and Player demanded that there should be golf ball restrictions. I think the grand old laddy is holding its own even though the greens are soft and may be offset by the unusually thick rough.

#1 - Up to this point the lack of fans at golf tournaments doesn't seem to have really impacted the game however the Masters without fans is not the Masters.

#2 - If the only thing your watching is news then God bless you for not slicing your wrists by now. There is no bigger steaming pile of dung than the vast majority of local, network & cable news outlets.

It was only natural the Bryson would garner quite a bit of pre tourney hype after winning the US Open but that 67 is par for me at Augusta comment really raised some eyebrows. He was part of the early opening round streaming coverage & never looked comfortable from his 1st tee shot. He appears to have righted the ship today at 12 and has an eagle putt on 13 to start tomorrow so with 15 & 16 still to play he has a solid chance of making the cut. It's amazing what pressure & the spotlight can do to some golfers that's why Tiger performing at enormously high level while always the focal point of every tournament he plays is such an achievement. 

Wolff also rec'd quite a bit of hype coming in & he's definitely missing the cut.

Tomorrow looks light another green light day weather wise with little wind. Could be some 20 mph gusts SUN so maybe the course as we normally know it show up for the final round.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Looks like the I295 crew last week at Ramblewood, should have factored no patrons into calcs.

bryson-dechambeua-lost-ball-new2.jpg

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

-16 tied the 54 hole record with Jordan & the final -20 broke Jordan's & Tiger's previous mark of -18

DJ might be the only person who doesn't want 2020 to end.

Really happy for DJ.  He was choking up during the award presentation, you can tell how much this meant to him.

Echo the previous sentiments, it was glorious to see Bryson suffer. Probably the easiest player besides Patrick Reed to root against, and he might be passing him in those rankings.