Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

31 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Liquid, I never use granular efficiency of it is far less than liquid. Liquids get nearly 100% uptake, while granular is much less. You can hit clover from spring to fall, needs to be growing.

Nice. I’ll hit you up in the spring when the time comes.

I’ll have a 12 pack ready for ya. Just let me know what you prefer ;)

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Nice. I’ll hit you up in the spring when the time comes.

I’ll have a 12 pack ready for ya. Just let me know what you prefer ;)

Sounds good man. Just shoot me a message on here 

• Like 1

Tombo, I want your expert opinion....

What is your feeling on those who put hay down over top of a recently renovated and overseeded property? I notice it's pretty common practice around here for larger areas. I'm not a fan, but was wondering what you were taught and told over the years. (Obviously, golf course don't use that method).

15 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Tombo, I want your expert opinion....

What is your feeling on those who put hay down over top of a recently renovated and overseeded property? I notice it's pretty common practice around here for larger areas. I'm not a fan, but was wondering what you were taught and told over the years. (Obviously, golf course don't use that method).

I hate the hay look, just looks sloppy IMO. It's not like it doesn't do the job, it just looks to messy for my liking. The best is penn mulch, stuff works great, but expensive. I either get some of that from work or I use very fine mulch. Mulch just looks neater and it holds moisture in and keeps the soil warm underneath for seed to germinate, 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I hate the hay look, just looks sloppy IMO. It's not like it doesn't do the job, it just looks to messy for my liking. The best is penn mulch, stuff works great, but expensive. I either get some of that from work or I use very fine mulch. Mulch just looks neater and it holds moisture in and keeps the soil warm underneath for seed to germinate, 

Thanks for the info.

They (home building company) just seeded the open space (about an acre) behind my property and threw down a ton of hay. What a mess. If this crap blows into my yard in the week ahead I'm going to be pissed. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Thanks for the info.

They (home building company) just seeded the open space (about an acre) behind my property and threw down a ton of hay. What a mess. If this crap blows into my yard in the week ahead I'm going to be pissed. 

I did a complete overhaul of my lawn a few years back and used the hay (straw?) and apparently it was contaminated with some nutsedge seed.

It definitely helped retain moisture and speed up the new grass germination, but it was a huge headache dealing with the nutsedge for the next 2 years.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, JSchwake28 said:

I did a complete overhaul of my lawn a few years back and used the hay (straw?) and apparently it was contaminated with some nutsedge seed.

Yikes.

6 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Tee shot on 3 at Cape May National. If only if it was snowfall...

In a weak el nino, that shot would be delayed 2 weeks. Make the putt?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Chubbs said:

In a weak el nino, that shot would be delayed 2 weeks. Make the putt?

No. It ended about 12 feet from the hole. The course was surprisingly wet for 0.25"-0.33" rain. I was so excited about where it landed (I'd like to think --->) I forgot to clean the mud off the ball.

Somebody was smiling down on us last week when setup a round at Roxiticus yesterday. Actually got a couple hours of sun in before the clouds setup shop. 

Outside of Pine Valley the course was in the best shape of any course I've seen. It doesn't kill you with distance, we played the 6300 tournament length which is a combo of the blue & white tees, however you rarely get a flat lie in the fairway & the greens are fast, undulating with tiers and several have false fronts. LOL, 40 putts yesterday & I'm usually a pretty good putter.

#1 tee from the white, we were 30 yds. back from the blue

20201027_110638.jpg.ef74ae671320b2de7f33ef22d8ab9c07.jpg

#2 par 5 look back from the green

20201027_115038.jpg.d35da1b8af9e1c1df2f1d12412cfb540.jpg

#4 & #5 fairways

20201027_120848.jpg.90bae632ef257baf941fa86075d6101c.jpg

favorite hole, #12 par 3 with the big elevation drop, 205 yds. from the blue

20201027_142140.jpg.94b59cb368be287db96c53facbec952e.jpg

20201027_143430.jpg.3c3a0eff5df4e81a6d86457107e18bed.jpg

#13 tee

20201027_143718.jpg.04aca19e177c78aa5b2b860264a2bb41.jpg

#14 green

20201027_150538.jpg.b3e297a9b0eb04e837b24873ca23853e.jpg

#15 approach look

20201027_151947.jpg.004f8f2fa8b752654b00b4aa58a8924e.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

Haven’t played there in a bit. Can’t imagine it’s closed though. 

I am going way back about  I think she lost her husband and someone said the kids were not interested.  The PA Turnpike just stinks, I would take the drive to there or Bella Vista if it was not a parking lot.

50 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I am going way back about  I think she lost her husband and someone said the kids were not interested.  The PA Turnpike just stinks, I would take the drive to there or Bella Vista if it was not a parking lot.

Its open, I played there a few weeks ago.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Saw you mowing this evening. Grass ain’t going to be happy. 

I snuck a mow in too. 

I had to get a mow in, my grass was way to high and with 1-3" of rain coming I couldn't afford another 3 days of no mow. 

16 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I had to get a mow in, my grass was way to high and with 1-3" of rain coming I couldn't afford another 3 days of no mow. 

Same here. It was not a pleasant mow.