Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

Backyard is a work in progress with way more clover but we have a major project in the months ahead so a lot will get torn up and removed with a paver patio/fire pit going in. Notice the difference at the back of my property where the open space is. No watering or fert. happening back there. 

BC8FF434-16E1-4748-B477-FB265148D5DC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Here’s my front yard after overseed. 2 years in a row. Prior to that is a a barren wasteland from new construction.

Battling some clover still but I’ll try and kill the rest of in spring.

looking good

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

looking good

Thanks. Drive by your place weekly on my way to Boyertown for my daughters violin lessons. Your yard is looking nice. New flag pole too?

17 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Thanks. Drive by your place weekly on my way to Boyertown for my daughters violin lessons. Your yard is looking nice. New flag pole too?

Yea I just hammered it with a pound of nitrogen last week before all the rain. So it has been growing good. Yea I got that back in May I believe. My brother in law got one, I liked it, so decided what the heck lol

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Parsley said:

Backyard is a work in progress with way more clover but we have a major project in the months ahead so a lot will get torn up and removed with a paver patio/fire pit going in. Notice the difference at the back of my property where the open space is. No watering or fert. happening back there. 

BC8FF434-16E1-4748-B477-FB265148D5DC.jpeg

Nice job!  I'm in the process of getting a new deck put in and also a paver patio.  Looks like they will finish in about 2 weeks, so lots of work to do in the spring.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

Nice job!  I'm in the process of getting a new deck put in and also a paver patio.  Looks like they will finish in about 2 weeks, so lots of work to do in the spring.  

Something to look forward to after another snowless winter ;)

• Sad 2

Shark River in Neptune City, NJ yesterday, added one to our foursome for a hole, fox literally followed a few feet behind us for the entire hole

20201007_143126.jpg.16c7a684b6e893f926b2eb5e542aa4da.jpg

20201007_144039.jpg.f755d1aa067ae38c6a53ebbc7da40cd9.jpg

Pine Barrens in Jackson, NJ today, awesome course & quite a workout from the 6700 yd blue tees in the wind, relative to my skill level was doing pretty well thru 10 holes then the proverbial doo doo hit the fan. 

20201008_122558.jpg.87ecc35c9b822374a7c52141d802cf81.jpg

20201008_150314.jpg.d8ba770f97df8a169809f75b13d0f68f.jpg

20201008_130102.jpg.185abc9fcf7b82c19a366d30103c2317.jpg

• Like 5
22 hours ago, eastonwx said:

Is there still time to get in some grass seeding? This upcoming rain looks not too heavy to wash seed away.

Probably can seed it up till Feb 2021 with the warm winter on the way. 😆 You'll be fine, probably a week or two left.

• Like 3

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.  

Looking forward to playing Manufacturers CC next week for a long awaited round of regular golf since my golf ball to the face hospital incident this past May.  All healed and ready to tear it up

Resized_20201011_083230_9372.jpg

Resized_Screenshot_20201012-072426_Video_Player_9657.jpg

Resized_20201011_103517(1)_433.jpg

• Like 11
On 10/13/2020 at 7:16 PM, susqushawn said:

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.  

Looking forward to playing Manufacturers CC next week for a long awaited round of regular golf since my golf ball to the face hospital incident this past May.  All healed and ready to tear it up

Resized_20201011_083230_9372.jpg

Resized_Screenshot_20201012-072426_Video_Player_9657.jpg

Resized_20201011_103517(1)_433.jpg

Nice!

Couldn’t be happier with this year’s aerate and overseed. The weather the past 4 weeks has been perfect for it. (Just had to water a lot the first 10 or so days). Mowing every 3 days now. 

49CFFC43-321E-48F0-B65C-0225E04BD246.jpeg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Parsley said:

Couldn’t be happier with this year’s aerate and overseed. The weather the past 4 weeks has been perfect for it. (Just had to water a lot the first 10 or so days). Mowing every 3 days now. 

49CFFC43-321E-48F0-B65C-0225E04BD246.jpeg

looks great.  I had really similar luck and am also very happy with the base I'll have to work with in the spring.  I have a lot of clover and some invasives to get rid of, but at least now if I kill that off I'll have some grass left behind and not just a barren weed free pile of dirt.

Sunday I put down a few last handfuls of seed in the areas that didn't take as well with overseeding.  I hope we have decent warmth next week so that new seed can germinate too.  I'm looking forward to how it returns in the spring.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jec6 said:

looks great.  I had really similar luck and am also very happy with the base I'll have to work with in the spring.  I have a lot of clover and some invasives to get rid of, but at least now if I kill that off I'll have some grass left behind and not just a barren weed free pile of dirt.

Sunday I put down a few last handfuls of seed in the areas that didn't take as well with overseeding.  I hope we have decent warmth next week so that new seed can germinate too.  I'm looking forward to how it returns in the spring.  

Yeah, I'm fighting clover as well. I sprayed it a few times weeks before the overseed but now I'll just wait til spring to readdress the issue as it takes multiple applications to really knock it out. Weather is looking good next week too (mild, limited rain) so yards should continue to thrive.

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Yeah, I'm fighting clover as well. I sprayed it a few times weeks before the overseed but now I'll just wait til spring to readdress the issue as it takes multiple applications to really knock it out. Weather is looking good next week too (mild, limited rain) so yards should continue to thrive.

Yep, only thing that works on clover is spraying it. It’s hard to control as it comes from neighbors lawns or the lawnmower spreads it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Parsley said:

I'll give you a herbicide that is 1 and done for clover and well everything else. I use it on my yard and it smokes clover

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I'll give you a herbicide that is 1 and done for clover and well everything else. I use it on my yard and it smokes clover

Nice. Spray or granular? 

if there a particular time of year to best hit it? Like late spring when it comes out of dormancy?

6 hours ago, Parsley said:

Nice. Spray or granular? 

if there a particular time of year to best hit it? Like late spring when it comes out of dormancy?

Liquid, I never use granular efficiency of it is far less than liquid. Liquids get nearly 100% uptake, while granular is much less. You can hit clover from spring to fall, needs to be growing.