Jump to content

Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

Congrats DJ, keeps adding to his hall of fame resume. 5yrs ago you expected him to 3 putt on the 72nd at Chambers now you expect him to make every clutch shot / putt. Great story for a guy that put himself in bad situations & has been on the wrong end of some really unfortunate breaks that would have ruined many careers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Congrats DJ, keeps adding to his hall of fame resume. 5yrs ago you expected him to 3 putt on the 72nd at Chambers now you expect him to make every clutch shot / putt. Great story for a guy that put himself in bad situations & has been on the wrong end of some really unfortunate breaks that would have ruined many careers.

Yeah I think of that silly Oakmont penalty. He put on a clinic the past month.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Yeah I think of that silly Oakmont penalty. He put on a clinic the past month.

That & him being on fire heading into the 2017 Masters only to have to withdraw a day before the start because he hurt his back falling down the steps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I don't think I have ever played there without losing a ball on the first hole.

That hole is a bear! Actually, a couple holes there are. Really tough course. I played a Tournement there 2-3 years ago during a windy day (gusts to 40-50mph). That made it brutal scoring day!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

That hole is a bear! Actually, a couple holes there are. Really tough course. I played a Tournement there 2-3 years ago during a windy day (gusts to 40-50mph). That made it brutal scoring day!  

My cartner  & I have always scrambled, I think I would still be on the course if I was playing my own ball. There is one hole on the back 9 where I’d swear the fairway was 10 yards wide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone please give me advice on aeration and overseeding? Other than ripping a lawn completely up and seeding, I've read that it's the best way to make a weed-ridden lawn healthier (whether or not a broad-spectrum weedkiller is used).

If that is a given, is it necessary to water periodically afterwards? I've got 2.2 acres and cannot practically water my lawn so I'd have to rely upon Mother Nature.

If it's a waste to do it if you can't water afterwards, does anyone have any alternative suggestions? I'd like a better looking lawn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowlurker said:

Can anyone please give me advice on aeration and overseeding? Other than ripping a lawn completely up and seeding, I've read that it's the best way to make a weed-ridden lawn healthier (whether or not a broad-spectrum weedkiller is used).

If that is a given, is it necessary to water periodically afterwards? I've got 2.2 acres and cannot practically water my lawn so I'd have to rely upon Mother Nature.

If it's a waste to do it if you can't water afterwards, does anyone have any alternative suggestions? I'd like a better looking lawn.

I just had my (small) yard aerated and overseeded today. Watering is important and relying on mother nature could be risky (look how dry the next week looks). With that said, with cooler days and nights and likely periodic rain in autumn it may be worth a try later in September. It's up to you to decide whether spending several hundred dollars on seed is worth the risk. I definitely wouldn't throw down seed without aerating IF you are only going to rely on mother nature. If you do that seed will sit on the surface and do basically nothing without proper watering. Getting some seed in aerated holes and then waiting on mother nature will atleast give it a chance to germinate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fresh meat today, Rossmoor GC over in Monroe Twp, NJ

Nice private course, not overly long & you can get away with spraying it around on most tees. Greens were in great shape, best thing about these private courses is people have the consideration to fix their ball marks. 

20200911_140545.jpg.8f2c95b7d0724d18ec4dc15ee2776ef6.jpg

 

20200911_153336.jpg.736f623952a65701d2b1e1a5f0c33071.jpg

20200911_145619.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Annual poconos golf trip coming up Sunday-Wednesday! May be dealing with some frost delays  first few days !! 🥶 I think 2 years ago we went a week earlier and it was like 90° all week. September is a crazy month. 

Sunday- mountain laurel golf course

Monday- personal favorite- Jack Frost National

tuesday- blue ridge trails GC 

Wednesday- Great Bear Golf course 

 

 

 

36457A25-D19E-4395-85CC-3906BA326E95.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Annual poconos golf trip coming up Sunday-Wednesday! May be dealing with some frost delays  first few days !! 🥶 I think 2 years ago we went a week earlier and it was like 90° all week. September is a crazy month. 

Sunday- mountain laurel golf course

Monday- personal favorite- Jack Frost National

tuesday- blue ridge trails GC 

Wednesday- Great Bear Golf course 

 

 

 

36457A25-D19E-4395-85CC-3906BA326E95.png

I like Great Bear. Lol this June was the first time my approach to 18 did not end up in the hazard (front or back).  It is too bad about Buck Hill Falls being members only (hopefully for just) this year.  I don't know if we will or wont, might try a quick Mount Airy/Great Bear trip if the weather co-operates.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Winged foot really showing her teeth today. Little bit of wind and some drying out of the greens and poof! There go the under par rounds. Fun to watch though!

 

 

See???  They are human after all !!  😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reed has been a scrambling / putting machine the first 2 days, only 10 / 28 fairways, 21 / 36 greens in regulation however he's #1 in putting. Have to think that doesn't hold up for another 2 days unless he gets the driver working.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, colonel_kurtz said:

Reed has been a scrambling / putting machine the first 2 days, only 10 / 28 fairways, 21 / 36 greens in regulation however he's #1 in putting. Have to think that doesn't hold up for another 2 days unless he gets the driver working.

You were right and I am not crying.   DeChambeau is our champ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Harbourton said:

He may be our champion but he is totally unlikeable. No chance he will have the charisma to capture the fans. On the other hand Wolf may have it.

You know I am partial to Rickie.  I don't know how much of the swing coach change is still responsible for his inconsistencies.  He has missed some short putts.  Wolf has that unique waggle.  His tee shot and my three shots may be a contest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...