Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

10 hours ago, Parsley said:

I think?

BBD6C891-DB88-451E-A287-2825DFA61346.png

Yep,

the male is the little one on the left.   the big one is the female.  They're scary looking but harmless.  Pretty cool.  With any luck, they'll take out a few lantern flies.

• Like 2
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, jec6 said:

Yep,

the male is the little one on the left.   the big one is the female.  They're scary looking but harmless.  Pretty cool.  With any luck, they'll take out a few lantern flies.

I was reading that the male mates and then dies.  I suppose it is a better fate than having your head taken off while you are in the middle of it if you are a praying mantis. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Spotted a blue winged wasp in the yard yesterday. Yes... That's my lawn 🤫

20200817_170316.jpg

Looks like my lawn.   I have a ton of green kyllinga growing in our backyard now.  Makes for a very thick mower cutting, but on the plus side it chokes out the creeping charlie.

• Like 1

While pulling weeds under my Japanese Maple on Saturday, I was stung on the hand. It was hard to tell at the time, but I'm actually wondering if I was stung multiple times. Almost 48 hours later my hand is still swollen like crazy, to the point where it is difficult to make a fist. Pretty miserable. 

28 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

While pulling weeds under my Japanese Maple on Saturday, I was stung on the hand. It was hard to tell at the time, but I'm actually wondering if I was stung multiple times. Almost 48 hours later my hand is still swollen like crazy, to the point where it is difficult to make a fist. Pretty miserable. 

Brutal.

Do you know what stung you? I got stung a few summers back on my calf by a honey bee and it hurt like hell for days. 

4 hours ago, Parsley said:

Brutal.

Do you know what stung you? I got stung a few summers back on my calf by a honey bee and it hurt like hell for days. 

No clue.  My first guess was yellow jacket with how close to the ground it was.  Yeah I don't ever remember a sting being this miserable.

2 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

No clue.  My first guess was yellow jacket with how close to the ground it was.  Yeah I don't ever remember a sting being this miserable.

Next time make a saliva poultice out of plantain leaves, a common yard plant. It will take the sting right out. Don’t know if it will work this late into the situation but can’t hurt to try

questions:

How much would an inground irrigation system cost me? Only looking to cover about 5000 sqft of “yard”. 

Best time to have one installed...fall vs spring? Can installs be done right through the end of fall?

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

questions:

How much would an inground irrigation system cost me? Only looking to cover about 5000 sqft of “yard”. 

Best time to have one installed...fall vs spring? Can installs be done right through the end of fall?

I'd do fall, but you can do one yourself. My friend put on in by himself. Just maybe rent a trencher but you're def going to have to get utilities out and see where lines are so you don't hit anything. You want to go about 1.5-2' deep

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

I'd do fall, but you can do one yourself. My friend put on in by himself. Just maybe rent a trencher but you're def going to have to get utilities out and see where lines are so you don't hit anything. You want to go about 1.5-2' deep

Yeah for the size of the yard it can be done BUUUUUUT I’m lazy. I’m thinking a few grand if I want one installed. I do think late fall vs spring would be better as the ground will be more stable and dry vs a potential muddy mess. 

By the way, drove by your house the other day and the yard is looking good. 👍 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Yeah for the size of the yard it can be done BUUUUUUT I’m lazy. I’m thinking a few grand if I want one installed. I do think late fall vs spring would be better as the ground will be more stable and dry vs a potential muddy mess. 

By the way, drove by your house the other day and the yard is looking good. 👍 

Yea it;s definitely labor intensive but can be done if you wanted to save money. I would do fall because then you don't have weed issue and risk of ruining grass as you would be going into summer. Would give the grass that is dug up and then replaced plenty of time to root.

Thanks, the recent rains have kicked into full gear growing wise. 

• Like 1