Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

On 7/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, Harbourton said:

Probably the number of players and ties at 60th were at/or over 70 players. The tally sheet before was trying to account for players that hadn't finished due to rain delay?

I just saw they mentioned it is top 65 and ties now with no additional Saturday cut.

Played Southmoore Golf Course today. Oppressive humidity even without the sun, which came out a few times, but clouds were dominant. 

A really nice course with challenging terrain. Played there last year and saw a mountain lion. There is a flooded stone quarry along the back of the course where he apparently lives around the cliffs.

20200724_135829.jpg

20200724_135823.jpg

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

Our neighbor's yard is infested with cicada killers and they are starting to drift over here. These things are extremely annoying. 

20200723_145446.jpg

20200726_080255.jpg

They are super annoying. There's at least a dozen swarming my front lawn everyday, nearly all day. Every time I walk out of the house I'm dodging them.

They dig these holes in the lawn which (at least I'm told) is where they bring cicadas to eat. I spray a hole in the evening when they take a break, and then there's another the following day 2' away.

I guess the one positive is that they aren't notorious for going after or stinging humans.

Going to look into putting down an insecticide. Anyone else have any luck in this situation?

We golfed at Renault on Saturday afternoon.  We should get a membership.  Can't beat a three hour round on a Saturday and ending par/par/par.   It is too bad about Covid as they just bought the place from the bank last year and have been putting in alot of work off the course.  The grapes/vineyards even look better than last year.  The majority of their bunkering still stinks.  They have restored the ones on the par 3(s). Rest of the course is in typical summer shape.

55.JPG.6ce1fa73e6062f527d43faa6e7dcc1ef.JPG

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Don't go to Mays Landing Golf Course. It's a dog track.

I can confirm, might actually be a disservice to dog tracks.

They did an emgency aeration on all greens Thursday & are asking for another aeration this week.

1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

I can confirm, might actually be a disservice to dog tracks.

They did an emgency aeration on all greens Thursday & are asking for another aeration this week.

I should have prefaced that remark with an observation that the basic layout is good. It would be a prime candidate for someone like Jaworski to come in and do his thing.

5 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

Revisited Jack Frost yesterday. Only lost 2 balls this time. Lot of woods off the fairways so staying in fairway is key.

20200731_110721.jpg

It is a nice course. Played there last year on a Group Golfer certificate for $25.  Hoping they do that again.

• Like 1

More signs of corporate greed dictating our lives. If you want to see the PGA tournament before 4:00 PM you must sign up for ESPn+ for $4.00 a month. It's not like we haven't been through enough this year but Disney has found a new way to squeeze the consumer. I could say more about Disney but I don't want to get political.

35 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

More signs of corporate greed dictating our lives. If you want to see the PGA tournament before 4:00 PM you must sign up for ESPn+ for $4.00 a month. It's not like we haven't been through enough this year but Disney has found a new way to squeeze the consumer. I could say more about Disney but I don't want to get political.

I heard on the radio that over 100,000,000 consumers have signed up for Disney+.  Do the math on that revenue stream wowzers

Quick question, anyone want to throw some guesses at what a fire pit, with surrounding paver patio and one seating wall (with back wall) would cost me? Starting some estimates with landscape companies in the area and expecting pricing back next week. I have no interest in doing the project myself.

in terms of dimensions, would be a 4’ wide diameter for the Pit + 3’ for the walkway around the pit then roughly another 3’ for seating and extra pavers on the front side.
Probably would prefer Techo-bloc for the pavers.   

Would like something similar to this...

8874DF85-3950-4315-B5AC-DB4B1C8BCA7E.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Quick question, anyone want to throw some guesses at what a fire pit, with surrounding paver patio and one seating wall (with back wall) would cost me? Starting some estimates with landscape companies in the area and expecting pricing back next week. I have no interest in doing the project myself.

in terms of dimensions, would be a 4’ wide diameter for the Pit + 3’ for the walkway around the pit then roughly another 3’ for seating and extra pavers on the front side.
Probably would prefer Techo-bloc for the pavers.   

Would like something similar to this...

8874DF85-3950-4315-B5AC-DB4B1C8BCA7E.jpeg

IMO Techo-bloc is the best. I would say around 4-5k. The fire pit is around 1500 and then depending how much seating and patio you want etc. The fire pits are easy to put together now because it’s a Kit that comes pre cut. Back in the day (can’t believe I said that lol) you had to make all the cuts yourself. 

You’re going to definitely want lighting and music back there. So have them run electric before they start laying pavers 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

IMO Techo-bloc is the best. I would say around 4-5k. The fire pit is around 1500 and then depending how much seating and patio you want etc. The fire pits are easy to put together now because it’s a Kit that comes pre cut. Back in the day (can’t believe I said that lol) you had to make all the cuts yourself. 

You’re going to definitely want lighting and music back there. So have them run electric before they start laying pavers 

Thanks for your insight. Electric is definitely a smart idea. How much do you think privacy shrubs....perhaps a 25-30 feet wide swath in my yard would cost? Not looking for cheapest plants either. Some nicer, more established (6'-8' tall to start) evergreens. That'd be plants + install (digging/planting)