Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My boys and I competed in the Philadelphia Disc Golf open this past weekend.  All three of us "cashed" and took home some prizes.   So cool to share a new sport with the juniors.   Looking forwar

Back from the Azores. Tom may want to relocate. Temps in the 70s. A brief shower or two most days.Thick, weed-free Bermuda grass on lawns and golf course.  Looked bullet-proof.

My 8 yr. daughter’s school project (planting sunflower seeds after shutdown) has umm....been a success. She is ecstatic, 10-12 feet later.   

Posted Images

Played The Bucks Club in Jamison yesterday, many tough holes either directly into the wind or a hard cross wind. As opposed to Morgan Hill last weekend this course pretty left the virus precautions up to the golfers, no starters & they allowed 2 players per cart.

20200510_140135.jpg.73fe0e9a15ead455228432f511bd46e5.jpg

20200510_144228.jpg.534c626bbab86a26334f932025aae684.jpg

• Like 4

I don’t understand the whole “no flag stick/rakes” approach. I barely touch my face on golf courses anyway given the chemicals on the course lol. 

but if people can touch Walmart/acme/food stores/hole depot  door handles, I think it’s safe if people can grab flagsticks lol. Again, just my .02c

playing broad run in WC tomorrow, and then Honey Brook on Thursday. Stay safe out there everyone!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

I don’t understand the whole “no flag stick/rakes” approach. I barely touch my face on golf courses anyway given the chemicals on the course lol. 

but if people can touch Walmart/acme/food stores/hole depot  door handles, I think it’s safe if people can grab flagsticks lol. Again, just my .02c

playing broad run in WC tomorrow, and then Honey Brook on Thursday. Stay safe out there everyone!

I guess one could bring some hand sanitizer on the course, but most of the stores have hand sanitizer, wipes.  It may be based on the virus surviving on metal for three days. I missed the conference about the effect of sunlight on these objects.

Anyway we are going to one of your faves, Town & Country later this week.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Parsley said:

More “typical” May weather would be a huge improvement for sure. That does still include occasional crap out, cool, wet days. I’ll take whatever will help grass seed grow best the next few weeks as I’m about to throw down a boat load. 

Ever think about putting down sod? Not sure how big the area you want to patch up is, but sod is quicker and easier in some cases.  This cool and rainy period will help it.

5 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Ever think about putting down sod? Not sure how big the area you want to patch up is, but sod is quicker and easier in some cases.  This cool and rainy period will help it.

True, but also 5 times more expensive so how big of an area is key. One roll of sod is like 7$ ridiculous markup. We get our sod for 2.5$ a roll

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

True, but also 5 times more expensive so how big of an area is key. One roll of sod is like 7$ ridiculous markup. We get our sod for 2.5$ a roll

Exactly, putting down sod may not be the cheapest route to take, but quicker results if its a bunch of small patches. If its a larger area, then seeding in the fall would be best.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

We get are sod from the farm for .25 cents  a square. You get about 500 sq feet on one pallet 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cbelke said:

Thought about it, especially in the front yard which is small but with my development in an ongoing building mode still it’s not the right time (for example my sidewalk and driveway apron were just ripped out and replaced.) so I’ll have fun with grass seed and topsoil the next year or two and see how it turns out. I focused on the front yard last fall and now the backyard this spring. The best with be the fall aeration and overseeding again. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Thought about it, especially in the front yard which is small but with my development in an ongoing building mode still it’s not the right time (for example my sidewalk and driveway apron were just ripped out and replaced.) so I’ll have fun with grass seed and topsoil the next year or two and see how it turns out. I focused on the front yard last fall and now the backyard this spring. The best with be the fall aeration and overseeding again. 

Sod is expensive but worth it IMO. It does become a part time job with the watering and fertilizer treatments it demands. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

We get are sod from the farm for .25 cents  a square. You get about 500 sq feet on one pallet 

Yup, exactly. When you get it from lowes or home depot huge markup

2 hours ago, NEchestercountydude said:

So I had some major plumbing/sewer issues the last couple weeks, which ended in me having to replace the whole pipe from my house to the street.. My back yard looks like a WW1 battlefield. Is it too late to try and planet seed this weekend? 

Getting close. Once we get to June I worry about fungus with dews 70+ and also weed germination...especially crab grass. Could always give it a try and see what happens, then aeriate and overseed in September. 

3 hours ago, Parsley said:

Getting close. Once we get to June I worry about fungus with dews 70+ and also weed germination...especially crab grass. Could always give it a try and see what happens, then aeriate and overseed in September. 

Thanks, I think that's what i'm going to try. Cant hurt other than a few dollars lost! Then overseed in the fall like you said. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, NEchestercountydude said:

So I had some major plumbing/sewer issues the last couple weeks, which ended in me having to replace the whole pipe from my house to the street.. My back yard looks like a WW1 battlefield. Is it too late to try and planet seed this weekend? 

You’re doomed either way with weeds. Might as well try. 

2 hours ago, NEchestercountydude said:

Thanks, I think that's what i'm going to try. Cant hurt other than a few dollars lost! Then overseed in the fall like you said. 

Yup. I’ve been overspending on topsoil and peat moss from a local nursery (instead of going to a big box store). I just write is off as part of my stimulus spending cash. ;) 

13 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Yup, exactly. When you get it from lowes or home depot huge markup

Plus it’s cut early with netting in it to keep it from falling apart. Then just sits on the pallet and bakes in the sun at  Lowe’s. I would never buy sod from them.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Plus it’s cut early with netting in it to keep it from falling apart. Then just sits on the pallet and bakes in the sun at  Lowe’s. I would never buy sod from them.

Well even sod farmers use netting. If they don't incorporate bluegrass into the tall fescue they have to use netting

I got smashed between the eyes with a golf ball Tuesday.  A late fore call and I, like a moron, look up instead of away.   9 iron from 150 yards out.  Ambulance, hospital, and I'll just count my blessings it wasn't lost teeth or an eye.  Just a slip in judgment, we all had individual carts, and I simply forgot one guy had been searching for his ball when I was already pin high.  I'll save the photos so you can avoid throwing up your Quaker Oats.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, susqushawn said:

I got smashed between the eyes with a golf ball Tuesday.  A late fore call and I, like a moron, look up instead of away.   9 iron from 150 yards out.  Ambulance, hospital, and I'll just count my blessings it wasn't lost teeth or an eye.  Just a slip in judgment, we all had individual carts, and I simply forgot one guy had been searching for his ball when I was already pin high.  I'll save the photos so you can avoid throwing up your Quaker Oats.

Oh no! Never look up! You should cringe and cover your head with your hands when you hear "Fore"!! You need the Masters helmet!!!

Sorry to hear of the injury, I've been hit by golf balls in the back, ribs, and arms over the years but never sustained a head injury. Hoping you have a speedy recovery!!

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRN6sPx3qHLUjUJjdaFbkCCVBDqjpdRFz-R6rYmtXF1hhpkdzFK&usqp=CAU

• Like 1
1 hour ago, susqushawn said:

Heal well and quickly

• Like 1
8 hours ago, susqushawn said:

That can’t be fun!! Hope you heal up quickly!

• Like 1