Real Deal Man Heat Wave OPS 7/16 - x/xx, melting of the NW Chesco glacier is imminent

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few pics from 5pm range 

Incoming...cool down. 

My video from earlier 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

High so far in Mount Laurel 98F.  Instrument is getting shaded by trees now.  I don't know what happened between 7 am and 8 am this morning.  My drop after that was because the sprinklers were on for the vegetable garden.

Unacceptable 

15 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Looks like it was 98

I don't know exactly how it works because it is reverse engineering.  It is converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit, not taking the Fahrenheit reading and converting it to Celsius.  So it is better to assume the lower of the two potential Celsius conversions unless it is the official ob (the one ending in :54).  That one is approved by the observer or tower personnel.

1 hour ago, iceman56 said:

95.7 in my part of E. Nantmeal Twp. after morning low of 75.0.    DP is 79 yielding a toasty 115 HI.    I am not aspirated, nor is my unit on a rooftop.   Situated on 2 meter PVC post in shaded yard.

Makes sense - had friends over yesterday and they said the temp dropped 4 degrees from Font Rd and 100 up to my place on their car thermometer. No doubt if you had a station with solar fan aspiration you would likely cut your temp - most folks that report here I would imagine do not have fan aspiration -  and this add on feature has been proven to be statistically significant in reducing reported temp errors due to solar heating - no doubt that along with the topography are part of the reason my reading are lower although I could argue more accurate than those without fan aspiration. That said it is a more expensive option and not sure how many really care for a temp error of a couple of degrees or so on a hot day....easy for me to spend other folks money! I am a weather geek and strive for accuracy!

For those interested attached is an article that highlights the potential benefit to temperature accuracy by employing a thermometer with fan aspiration capabilities. The study attached found the error correction to be 2.3 degrees f or 1.3 celsius - may not be critical to most but for those really looking for accurate obs might be worth the added $

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264172143_Effects_of_Fan-Aspirated_Radiation_Shield_for_Temperature_Measurement_in_Greenhouse_Environment

OK don’t laugh at me because it’s just the standard iPhone weather app but I was on the road and quickly checked it, for “Philadelphia” it said 100 at around 3:30 but I don’t see evidence for that elsewhere. Philadelphia did not actually hit 100 correct? If not, what is the source of the data for that iPhone app and what location do they actually use for “Philadelphia,” not the airport??

Very nice Bonito, enjoy!  Great eating and fighting!

Not sure where the 102 near KACY came from on that graphic posted above...the NWS hourlies had KACY (Pomona) at 98 at 1 pm, 100 at 2 pm and 99 at 3 pm...I suppose there could have been a 102 measurement somewhere in between?

4 hours ago, chescopawxman said:

Makes sense - had friends over yesterday and they said the temp dropped 4 degrees from Font Rd and 100 up to my place on their car thermometer. No doubt if you had a station with solar fan aspiration you would likely cut your temp - most folks that report here I would imagine do not have fan aspiration -  and this add on feature has been proven to be statistically significant in reducing reported temp errors due to solar heating - no doubt that along with the topography are part of the reason my reading are lower although I could argue more accurate than those without fan aspiration. That said it is a more expensive option and not sure how many really care for a temp error of a couple of degrees or so on a hot day....easy for me to spend other folks money! I am a weather geek and strive for accuracy!

It has nothing to do with fan aspirated shield. I have one at my house and at work and the temp readings are generally right in line. The fact is your temp readings are very sketchy. Either you have a bad temperature sensor or the area you have your station at is a bad spot. So I gave the forest breeze some merit that May keep your temp down but then I saw a pattern. This is the current heatwave Wednesday then Friday through today at your station

wesnesday 02D6033B-2B8A-438C-9CB5-95DF78DB4104.png.f14167379542071f62743186f4cf5e71.png

friday 7DCA20F2-6801-4673-8381-6F5A919040E1.png.61b75376237c286b4e33a443877b3d69.png

saturday 6158FE3E-260C-4967-A91D-B8783E97EA78.png.a1431334bbbd3dbbb134102fd30a7ece.png

sunday 

A68AEB01-E5DF-4E6E-96AD-ED74D3505037.png.191ed732c35aa56cab7bcfb21ed84fd3.png

heck I’ll go back to last year 1B43D8C9-4175-4ADE-A32B-239D020CC04C.png.ba25e0b8159e76ffd70c44a60dac6839.png

its the same exact pattern. Your temp peaks right at noon and then just stops and goes down.  Mother Nature is not that predictable so we can discount the forest breeze aspect. So something everyday at that point in time is causing your temp to malfunction. That is just way to calculated every time right at noon and then the temperature just doesn’t move. On days like today where it’s mostly sunny that’s basically impossible during the strongest heat of the day and your temp goes down?  Heck even Bradford and mt pocono temp continues to go up. So if you were to discount that silly regression of temp and just draw out a normal progression, your temps would match all the stations around you. I mean this isn’t brain surgery here, the evidence backs it well on those graphs and that your temp is coldest out of every station around you at the same elevation or even higher than you. I hope this doesn’t come off as rude, but you gotta look into that Paul  something is not right there if you want to keep all these historical facts  

This is what a normal temp graph should look like E70A60DD-DCD9-4E3F-8CE2-E0EDDBA140B1.png.77703412491bd01a73d5ab3215db0362.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

OK don’t laugh at me because it’s just the standard iPhone weather app but I was on the road and quickly checked it, for “Philadelphia” it said 100 at around 3:30 but I don’t see evidence for that elsewhere. Philadelphia did not actually hit 100 correct? If not, what is the source of the data for that iPhone app and what location do they actually use for “Philadelphia,” not the airport??

Maybe they use PNE?  I think they hit 100F again.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, anowal01 said:

Very nice Bonito, enjoy!  Great eating and fighting!

Not sure where the 102 near KACY came from on that graphic posted above...the NWS hourlies had KACY (Pomona) at 98 at 1 pm, 100 at 2 pm and 99 at 3 pm...I suppose there could have been a 102 measurement somewhere in between?

Gotta ask @Qtown Snow about the source of that map.  It (102F) could be a personal weather station.  We'll know in an hour, but chances are ACY Intl Airport's high was truly 100F and the Rutgers maintained NJWXNET has a high of 98F for the Atlantic City Marina.

100.JPG

24 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Gotta ask @Qtown Snow about the source of that map.  It (102F) could be a personal weather station.  We'll know in an hour, but chances are ACY Intl Airport's high was truly 100F and the Rutgers maintained NJWXNET has a high of 98F for the Atlantic City Marina.

2019-07-21_19-38-26.png

97 / 78 split today, locally the 10th 90 degree day of the year

Outside of the Jersey coast blast furnace today the biggest story for the immediate metro area were the ridiculous overnight lows.

Only record I see at the official stations from Richmond to Boston was 100 degrees at ACY.

Since 1991 the average July max temp at PHL is 97 degrees. 

The legacy of July 21st only continues to grow, today marks the 11th time on this date that temp has been 98 degrees or higher

Official stations that recorded 100 degrees today:

Pomona, NJ - 100

BWI - 100

Dulles, VA -100

Richmond, VA - 100

Norfolk, VA - 100

Windsor Locks, CT - 100