Phillies and 76ers are getting busy, and now it's the Eagles turn

One key thing that may address the concerns around the length of the deal is the potential advent of the DH in the NL.

Idk, I guess I was wrong, looks like he does want to play here after all. $25mm/yr is way more tolerable than where I though this was going to land if it went down. We'll see. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fightin Phils are now right they with LA as favorites to win the NL, Dodgers are 4-1 & Phils are 9-2. quite a formidable lineup on paper, Hoskins might have the biggest upside with those bats

Birds acquired Jordan Howard for 6th rd pick, we like

Just an awesome deal for a future Hall of Famer!! Amazed they did not have to overspend. His agreement to go for years over annual value will leave the Phils with plenty of room to add more pieces thi

Posted Images

5 hours ago, cbelke said:

$330 million over 13 years. I'm sorry, not worth it. I'm a Phillies fan but its not worth it.

As a few years pass, his yearly cost will actually be way under other players.  And, he's a Philly now. Not some rental like 99% of deals now.  13y no.opt out no trade?  That's a good deal.

• Like 1

There's no question he will put butts in seats.  The one thing I can see is the Phils desperately hoping the NL adopts the DH rule in about 3-4 years.  His glove is one of the worst in the league, to the point where it has a fairly significant effect on his WAR.  

That said, as a Pirates fan that has dealt with notoriously cheap ownership for decades...I'm jelly. 

I have to admit I became a casualty of the Scott Boris misinformation. This is great deal for the Phillies - no opt out. Bryce Harper has ingratiated himself to the fan base by allowing the Phillies to have money to spend in the future to obtain any missing pieces. Mike Trout is next.

Finally got a chance to read posts here and digest the Harper signing. Some thoughts:

-in 5 yrs., his ~$25 mil /yr will be a bargain in comparison to other future mega deals (if he stays productive)

-MLB will likely adopt DH for NL soon. That should extend his career and productivity (plus you remove his glove form the outfield for those worried about his defense)

-He is a much need lefty bat for that lineup which has been rally lacking since Ryan Howard years. CBP is a lefty power hitter's park

Pay breakdown: Does not include bonuses (for MLB awards)

775332372_ScreenShot2019-03-02at7_06_31AM.png.e8e21190975f8c2379cade8fc0c55c3f.png

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Harbourton said:

I have to admit I became a casualty of the Scott Boris misinformation. This is great deal for the Phillies - no opt out. Bryce Harper has ingratiated himself to the fan base by allowing the Phillies to have money to spend in the future to obtain any missing pieces. Mike Trout is next.

Yup me too. Going to completely tune-out during the next free-agent media circus.

• Like 2

Trout could  def resign with Angels, but Philly has Harper and could splurge 40 million a year for ten years to Trout and still be under luxury.  Damn fine work, they'll be in play for him for sure.  Mid season moves this year for pitching will be interesting. Pitchers like teams with punch to back them up. 

And Big Easy is a great starting pitcher.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TTNwatcher said:

Trout could  def resign with Angels, but Philly has Harper and could splurge 40 million a year for ten years to Trout and still be under luxury.  Damn fine work, they'll be in play for him for sure.  Mid season moves this year for pitching will be interesting. Pitchers like teams with punch to back them up. 

And Big Easy is a great starting pitcher.

Yea, have a feeling if Trout signs anywhere other than Angels, it's Philly

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

would like to see them get another good starting pitcher. 

Agreed Tom! While I think their young staff has up side - I would love to see them sign one of the remaining FAs like Dallas K to take some pressure off of the pitchers -  although if they stay healthy some pressure should be off if they score the kind of runs we think they can on paper

Interesting question on WIP today. Who is under the most pressure this year? Bryce Harper, Gabe Kaplar, Brett Brown, Ben Simmons. My choice is Carson Wentz. There is no Noles as a back up and many years with injury bug. Let's face it football is king in Philly.

6 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Interesting question on WIP today. Who is under the most pressure this year? Bryce Harper, Gabe Kaplar, Brett Brown, Ben Simmons. My choice is Carson Wentz. There is no Noles as a back up and many years with injury bug. Let's face it football is king in Philly.

I would say the coach(Sixers) and the manager(Phils). They now have talent on both, and if there is an early playoff exit, they could be gone.

As far as Wentz, true, he will be under extra scrutiny if there is not a deep playoff run this coming season for the Birds and he stays healthy thru the season. A potential big contract is looming for  him....

Well, the Mike Trout news this morning certainly felt like a dagger to the heart for this fan that was hoping to see him in a Phillies uniform one day. 

On the other hand, I would have thought he was out of his mind if he would have turned down $430 million. 

On 3/19/2019 at 1:05 PM, mweav067 said:

Well, the Mike Trout news this morning certainly felt like a dagger to the heart for this fan that was hoping to see him in a Phillies uniform one day. 

On the other hand, I would have thought he was out of his mind if he would have turned down $430 million. 

Mike Trout was afraid of the media scrutiny he'd face in Philly. Took the money and will play out his career in a place that has a minuscule chance of winning a WC in a backwater TV market My regard for Mike Trout has fallen to zero.I would have been happier if he went to the Yankees. At least I could watch him on TV.

19 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Mike Trout was afraid of the media scrutiny he'd face in Philly. Took the money and will play out his career in a place that has a minuscule chance of winning a WC in a backwater TV market My regard for Mike Trout has fallen to zero.I would have been happier if he went to the Yankees. At least I could watch him on TV.

Yeah I'm sure that was it and not the 400 million+ dollars

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

Yeah I'm sure that was it and not the 400 million+ dollars

Frank! So true. 

Plus, quality of life (weather, attractions, etc.)

Anaheim >>>>>>> Philly 

• Like 1
  • SalemCountyNJ changed the title to Phillies and 76ers are getting busy, and now it's the Eagles turn