Winter 2018/2019 vent/meltdown thread

For my area of NJ, so far this winter is a D.  Temps overall above average.  Barely any snowcover days.  Snowfall so far in the bottom 5 of the past 40 years.  Highlights have been the November snow, one night barely below zero (-0.6) and the blinding snow squall. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

winter 2018-19   March will Rock!!!!  

Three years ago today.

Better than the past 2 snow events here...

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

For my area of NJ, so far this winter is a D.  Temps overall above average.  Barely any snowcover days.  Snowfall so far in the bottom 5 of the past 40 years.  Highlights have been the November snow, one night barely below zero (-0.6) and the blinding snow squall. 

Yea from like TTN on northeast has had it rough, no doubt about it 

• Like 1

A little over 10" of snow away from normal IMBY with a few weeks to go. Grading is always subjective. In my mind an A- or A winter would probably need seasonal snow totals over 40" IMBY...maybe closer to 50" (close to double average). 30" or so would probably earn a solid B. 

This slow......slow climb toward average is one I don't remember in any of my years here since 05'. With all the paltry event totals atleast it has snowed several/many times this season. All in all, no where near as bad as some of the stinkers in the past. 

4 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

it's winter, you're not suppose to golf. Ifw e are golfing a lot in winter, we have issues  

If you told me my seasonal total to date was 13" and you'd have the least amount of golfing rounds for a winter since you'd retire, I'd think this winter averaged -7.5F,  not above.

9 minutes ago, NEchestercountydude said:

Tombo, I know winter grades are subjective but do mind explaining this a little more for me lol.

9DD1BFCA-2986-434C-8960-16033F5F42BB.gif

Well I would be a B or B+ if we get a good storm in march that would get me to avg. Right now I'm a C+ or B-

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Well I would be a B or B+ if we get a good storm in march that would get me to avg. Right now I'm a C+ or B-

Your average is around 34" or so? A good storm would definitely help improve my grade too, but for the moment we're below normal snowfall, above average temps and above average precip, that's an 0 for 3. Was just surprised your above a C at this point. Like I said though its all subjective!

1 hour ago, NEchestercountydude said:

Your average is around 34" or so? A good storm would definitely help improve my grade too, but for the moment we're below normal snowfall, above average temps and above average precip, that's an 0 for 3. Was just surprised your above a C at this point. Like I said though its all subjective!

I go with 30”. Allentown avgs 32 and I don’t think I get more than them. This is how I grade a winter with the percent of importance. 

Total snowfall (40%)b-

number of snow events (25%) c+\b-

temperatures ( 20%) b

snow cover (10%) c-

were the figs annihilated (5%) A

temperatures I went higher despite overall warmer winter  having 2 below zero nights one of which was coldest I ever had recorded. 6 nights of single digit cold, with 4 of them having a snow pack carried some weight to me 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

If you told me my seasonal total to date was 13" and you'd have the least amount of golfing rounds for a winter since you'd retire, I'd think this winter averaged -7.5F,  not above.

true, but in general, if you're golfing alot it usually means no snow cover and mild days, which makes me sad. If you aren't golfing it's usually because it's snow covered or to cold, which makes me happy. Plus, I'm paying you to keep the forum in tip top shape and to post at least 100 times a day, not out side golfing in winter. 

• Like 1

I've had double the snow my parents have had, and we're running a smidge above normal for the whole season already, so this winter gets a good grade down here.  I'm thinking in the B range.  Things could certainly change in the next month and a half, but certainly way better than the last two years, when total snowfall here was a third of what my parents got.   Total running snowfall since I moved here:  Me 72.2", parents 93.6".

Well, I posted a few weeks ago never count out March. It will clearly have a big impact on final grade but I won’t forget the ugly stretch for most the winter. A solid event Sunday night would bring things up to a B for me. 

I'm at C+ as well due to the ugly muddy stretches, but I'm happy to raise it to a B with 6" and maybe even a B+ if we can top 8" tomorrow night. All I'm asking for is a chance to cross-country ski on the Perkiomen Trail on Monday!

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I'm an infrequent poster but probably would put Heisy to shame for my love of Winter. I'm 50yrs old and basically 8 when it comes to Winter/snowstorms. My wife is tired of me bitching about this winter so I need/will vent here since this was created for such a thing. I grew up in upper susq. county PA until I moved here in Spring 96. Winters were long, cold and nickle and dimed to 40+ in. a year. But, I have had the best winters of my life since moving here. Yes, I know I have been spoiled with a good run. This winter however has been a steaming pile from what was guessed from the different teleconnections in early winter. I have never shoveled more sleet (which isnt easy to get ....virtually every single time we have a "storm"!) in my life (today included). I HATE Summer and the ridiculous heat and humidity but I'm done with this pile of crap. I know I am speaking from my back yard, but thats what this thread is about. Thanks for letting me vent. Is the NAO like the Loch Ness monster? Even though I've had about 25 in of "stuff", i rate this a D from my expectations.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Squally said:

Hi Guys, I'm an infrequent poster but probably would put Heisy to shame for my love of Winter. I'm 50yrs old and basically 8 when it comes to Winter/snowstorms. My wife is tired of me bitching about this winter so I need/will vent here since this was created for such a thing. I grew up in upper susq. county PA until I moved here in Spring 96. Winters were long, cold and nickle and dimed to 40+ in. a year. But, I have had the best winters of my life since moving here. Yes, I know I have been spoiled with a good run. This winter however has been a steaming pile from what was guessed from the different teleconnections in early winter. I have never shoveled more sleet (which isnt easy to get ....virtually every single time we have a "storm"!) in my life (today included). I HATE Summer and the ridiculous heat and humidity but I'm done with this pile of crap. I know I am speaking from my back yard, but thats what this thread is about. Thanks for letting me vent. Is the NAO like the Loch Ness monster? Even though I've had about 25 in of "stuff", i rate this a D from my expectations.

Nothing like 25" of disappointment! There was certainly a lot of hype surrounding this winter, and even though we managed to get snow, the lack of warning-level snows definitely made this winter feel less impressive.

For MBY, I think I'll go with a C-

There have been a fair number of snow events this year, but the majority of them have mixed with sleet/rain during some point in the event. In addition, no snow events have reached Winter Storm Warning criteria MBY. There have also been some close brushes with snowstorms that could have been fun, such as the miss in December, as well as a snowstorm in January that hit D.C., but not so much our area.