1/8 Snow/Ice Obs.

Parsley

While minor in amounts, light snow, sleet and freezing rain will potentially cause issues this afternoon and evening for many. Looks like a 6-8 hour window for precipitation starting in western areas midday or early afternoon. 

zz.png

zzxx.png

zzzxxx.png

fz.gif

sl.gif

snn.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowlurker said:

School district (with lots of farmland/back roads) including Middletown and also school district in Cecil Cty already announced early dismissal.

Timing is awful and we basically have to go with the overly cautious route with an event like this and hope it somehow doesn't turn as ugly as it could. I advised my wife (who had a hellish commute home a few weeks ago from that minor snow event between 3-6pm) to work from home later today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimCaruso said:

Flying home from Key West today, supposed to land in PHL at 4:40, flight as well as drive from PHL to Newtown are both concerns at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stay in Key West for an extra day. I would if I were you. 

11 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

Just got a text from my daugther's day care, early dismissal at 12:30.  I am telling my manager I am leaving early and getting home...no good comes from driving in this.  

Same here. Early dismissals. Again, the event a few weeks ago where our district hesitated and then had kids stuck on buses over an hour likely taught them a lesson in being proactive. 

5 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

Got got text form sons school, Pennridge early dismissal , another short school week for kids after a 4 day weekend.

Yup, seems the Northern schools are doing early dismissals.  My wife is a teacher in Flourtown and she will have to come home through that mess at 3 PM and come all the way up Rt 309. I think her school district is too far South for them to think anything other than rain. 

With temperatures hovering around 20° right now, I’m glad I’m home today and not having to stress about a potential white-knuckle drive home from Plymouth Meeting to Collegeville after work. While it’s never fun to be sick, I guess today is as good of a day as any.

8 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Yup, seems the Northern schools are doing early dismissals.  My wife is a teacher in Flourtown and she will have to come home through that mess at 3 PM and come all the way up Rt 309. I think her school district is too far South for them to think anything other than rain. 

Plain rain? I dont think thats likely in flourtown or even Philly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Agreed,  won’t be plain rain for anyone imo from city nw. even if it’s 33 the road temps are so cold it will still freeze 

I agree as well. I'm just not seeing any schools around the Flourtown area that are closing/closing early. I think a lot of them are hoping for the best since they just had two snow days in a row last week. I'm hoping its not a dangerous ride home, and only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, cbelke said:

I agree as well. I'm just not seeing any schools around the Flourtown area that are closing/closing early. I think a lot of them are hoping for the best since they just had two snow days in a row last week. I'm hoping its not a dangerous ride home, and only time will tell.

Could be because of timing? Might not start there till closer to 3 and they are willing to risk 

I get done at 5, at which point I need to go from Green Hills to Mt. Penn to pick up my wife from where she works, and then from Mt. Penn to Sinking Spring to get home.

Driving in bad weather doesn't usually worry me, but I have a bad feeling about this afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Here is the 12z GFS sounding for PHL this evening...Nam is even colder at the surface.

Not pretty.

dfg.png

That’s close to a snow sounding there if you take the saturated level at 925. Hopefully we can verify it a little colder to keep it snow. I have my doubts though