January 2018 Warm Up 1/11 - 1/13ish

cbelke

Who's worried about road buckles, pipes bursting (extreme I know, but possible) later this week?  Also thinking fog may be an issue given the cold ground and warm air. 

P.S.

Tom,

Tony hacked my account so he could start this thread on the warm up this week.   ;)

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

Who's worried about road buckles, pipes bursting (extreme I know, but possible) later this week?  Also thinking fog may be an issue given the cold ground and warm air. 

P.S.

Tom,

Tony hacked my account so he could start this thread on the warm up this week.   ;)

Shhhhh.    I just want a rain to wash away all of this salt.

• Like 1

Pipes freeze in the extreme cold - especially in the windy cold.  They don't burst till the ice in the pipe melts and the water flows.  The break or crack in the pipe happens when the freeze takes place. Only after it melts does the flow happen.

I would expect some after today as it warms.  Sometimes people think setting a thermostat at 55 is warm enough and they go away.  My fd had one last week with the thermostat at 70, but the pipe was on an outside wall on the nw side. Just dumb/ poor thinking on the builders part.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FDFriendly said:

Pipes freeze in the extreme cold - especially in the windy cold.  They don't burst till the ice in the pipe melts and the water flows.  The break or crack in the pipe happens when the freeze takes place. Only after it melts does the flow happen.

I would expect some after today as it warms.  Sometimes people think setting a thermostat at 55 is warm enough and they go away.  My fd had one last week with the thermostat at 70, but the pipe was on an outside wall on the nw side. Just dumb/ poor thinking on the builders part.

In my first winter as a homeowner, I committed two cardinal sins.  I ran out of propane during a cold snap, and I failed to turn the water off to the outside spigot.  Regarding the latter, thank God my wife was home, in the basement, and heard the water coming down and landing on the unfinished part of the basement (another blessing) through our kitchen.  An even bigger miracle was that when they came to check for moisture, they did not detect any the next day...we basically just got a new wood laminate kitchen floor out of it, and homeowner's covered that.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

potholes here we come

Just came back from Tannersville, PA. Rt 611 and Rt 33 up there are mess. Potholes galore. Throw the rain on the roads this week and and that will only make them worse.

21 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Saturday being the best chance?  Not liking the over. So far, I would say maybe 54, but the rain may keep the temps down as well.

I’d say Friday best chance. Euro seems a bit over amped and I’d bank on a quicker advection or colder air. 

39 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I’d say Friday best chance. Euro seems a bit over amped and I’d bank on a quicker advection or colder air. 

Pennsylvania sometimes really struggles to scour cold air.  Haven't paid close enough attention,  but have seen ABE in particular get stuck in the cold before.

• Like 1