Lawn/garden/golf thread

tombo82685

Last night was the first night it reliably stayed above 50 IMBY in recent weeks, with the potential for a consecutive string of 50+ nights. So, that is a milestone for the veggie garden, as I left the tomato seedlings out overnight for their first time. (Despite my fears, I slept just fine and did not feel the need to wake up at 3 AM to check the temps, lol).  The temps may be average for this time of year, but I realize that I am so used to the past several years, where tomatoes would be in the ground by now. With this prolonged spring, look for great bargains on cool season crops like salad greens, beets, peas and spinach at the local farm stand.

Hey Tom, do you have any recommendations on an herbicide to use on dandelions that have decided to take shelter around my azalea? I don't want to hurt the azalea but need to kill of the pesky dandelions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hey Tom, do you have any recommendations on an herbicide to use on dandelions that have decided to take shelter around my azalea? I don't want to hurt the azalea but need to kill of the pesky dandelions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just go to home depot and pick up a liquid fertilizer, most of them have a 3 way mixture of MCCP, Dicamaba, and 2-4-d. That should do the trick. If you are really careful, just get roundup, might be cheaper, but that will kill anything.

• Like 1

Heh! That pic looks like a big version of some of my backyard. (The brown part, not the green!)

Still trying to grow grass, though. We'll see how it goes.

Have you ever done a soil sample? 

Just go to home depot and pick up a liquid fertilizer, most of them have a 3 way mixture of MCCP, Dicamaba, and 2-4-d. That should do the trick. If you are really careful, just get roundup, might be cheaper, but that will kill anything.

Yeah not sure I trust myself enough with the Roundup...sometimes I feel like I have more of a black thumb than a green one. Not sure if you remember my pictures of the Irish Eyes Cypress but they are not doing so well. Dang deer got to them in the fall. Took one down all the way to the roots. Left only one untouched. The hubby thinks most of them will survive but I'm not so certain. They look pretty sad to me. He was talking about putting some fertilizer on them as well so maybe I'll just pick up enough for the azalea area and for our trees. Thanks for the help!

Yeah not sure I trust myself enough with the Roundup...sometimes I feel like I have more of a black thumb than a green one. Not sure if you remember my pictures of the Irish Eyes Cypress but they are not doing so well. Dang deer got to them in the fall. Took one down all the way to the roots. Left only one untouched. The hubby thinks most of them will survive but I'm not so certain. They look pretty sad to me. He was talking about putting some fertilizer on them as well so maybe I'll just pick up enough for the azalea area and for our trees. Thanks for the help!

Kim, I was looking on home depot's website, this product doesnt look bad. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advanced-24-oz-Concentrate-Season-Long-Weed-Control-for-Lawn-704050B/204687856?N=5yc1vZbx6f

this is the chemicals listed on the label which I was saying you should want. The top 3, is the 3 way mixture.

Hazardous Component Name 
2,4-D, dimethylamine salt  
Dicamba, potassium salt  
Mecoprop-P potassium salt  
Isoxaben 
Glycerine  
Potassium hydroxide  

Also, they make a deer resistant arbivitae

Kim, I was looking on home depot's website, this product doesnt look bad. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advanced-24-oz-Concentrate-Season-Long-Weed-Control-for-Lawn-704050B/204687856?N=5yc1vZbx6f

this is the chemicals listed on the label which I was saying you should want. The top 3, is the 3 way mixture.

Hazardous Component Name 
2,4-D, dimethylamine salt  
Dicamba, potassium salt  
Mecoprop-P potassium salt  
Isoxaben 
Glycerine  
Potassium hydroxide  

Also, they make a deer resistant arbivitae

Great thanks so much! Well the tag on the Irish Eyes Cypress said Deer Resistant...but apparently this was a very hungry and desperate deer...either that or the tag lied

Finally planted all of my vegetables yesterday. Our fig trees, my mother-in-law's fig trees took a big time hit from this winter.

I didn't know figs were native around here. How big do they get, are they like pear trees around here in terms of height?

Figs are not native. They are pretty cold sensitive, and they only fruit on old wood. If you leave them unprotected in zone 6, most winters they will die back to the roots, and you will not get fruit.  Most people elaborately cover them for winter - my folks in zone 7 stuff them full of fall leaf litter and grass clippings, wrap them in it with space blankets and put an upturned tin pail on the top. Its an Italian tradition from where I grew up, except the old folks there used black tar paper. They get a ton of figs every year. I planted one once. It died. Winters here are pretty brutal on figs!

I didn't know figs were native around here. How big do they get, are they like pear trees around here in terms of height?

What Affenage posted. Last couple of winters have been no problem and the trees got to be 10 to 15 feet tall, too tall to do the Italian tradition on them. I tried burying the trunk in leaves, but the wind kept on blowing them away. There are signs of life, but doubtful to get any figs this year.

• Like 1

Tony - 

An old Italian guy I know used to have a fig tree in his yard the size of his 3 story house (in Bronx, NY).  He built a scaffold so that he could pick the fruit and then covered the whole darn thing, scaffold and all, every winter. Sadly he has gotten too old to keep up with it anymore. But we used to go to his house with buckets and bring everyone I know buckets and buckets of figs every summer. Those were the days...Sue

• Like 1

Tombo I need your expertise.  I recently moved into a new house and all of the interior work I have been doing along with a new baby has forced me to neglect my new yard.   I don't believe the previous owner every did very much either and the weeds are driving me nuts!  See the attached pic representing the condition of the yard overall.  Am I too far gone this season to make improvements or can I apply some treatment and see improvements?  Basically if I treat now am I wasting my time and money?

Thanks in advance!

post-24-0-28796600-1400073917_thumb.jpg

Tombo I need your expertise.  I recently moved into a new house and all of the interior work I have been doing along with a new baby has forced me to neglect my new yard.   I don't believe the previous owner every did very much either and the weeds are driving me nuts!  See the attached pic representing the condition of the yard overall.  Am I too far gone this season to make improvements or can I apply some treatment and see improvements?  Basically if I treat now am I wasting my time and money?

Thanks in advance!

I'll get back to you around lunch just saw this, post and I have to head back to work. Do you just have a lot of broadleaf issues? How big of an area is your yard?

To answer your question, if you have weed issues you can make a big improvement right now. If you have bare areas that need seed, well then we may have some more issues. So describe to me whats going on.

I have about 2 acres that is generally like this.  There are few bare patches due to the way the water runs off b/c how the property is graded in certain areas, but generally it's all dandelions and broadleaf.  There is a lot of grass there it's just being overtaken by the weeds.  I have a grass cutting contractor that said he can do an application for me but I want to make sure it's the proper application and that it's even worth it at this point.  Thanks so much!

I have about 2 acres that is generally like this.  There are few bare patches due to the way the water runs off b/c how the property is graded in certain areas, but generally it's all dandelions and broadleaf.  There is a lot of grass there it's just being overtaken by the weeds.  I have a grass cutting contractor that said he can do an application for me but I want to make sure it's the proper application and that it's even worth it at this point.  Thanks so much!

The broadleaf weeds you can tackle and that would clear stuff up. You can put down a herbacide anytime when temps are less than 83. Ask him what product he is using, is he going liquid or granular?