8/18 Thunderstorms, Heavy Rain Obs

Rainshadow

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Baseball0618 said:

2:00 tee time for first round of two man scramble not looking so good today.  However not so sure playing with these dew points would be much fun anyway.  

I'd be lighting candles this morning for a 130 pm torrential downpour and a rescheduling to next Thursday.

2 hours ago, Baseball0618 said:

2:00 tee time for first round of two man scramble not looking so good today.  However not so sure playing with these dew points would be much fun anyway.  

The key word is "scramble", and if the HRRR is correct, you will be doing just that, scrambling for cover. :blink:

I'm not surprised we're getting rain at at least some point this weekend.

I think I mentioned it last year, but this weekend is another race weekend at Pocono, which is almost guaranteed to attract rain to the area it seems. 

The good news is Sunday looks clear this year, although I suppose they lose out on being able to race during a solar eclipse then. 

4 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

Don't let the marine layer fool you, already over 1,000 J/KG mixed cape. However, shear and instability are displaced with very underwhelming lapse rates. So heavy rain first today. 

Ok, I'll get the popcorn out and wait by my rain gauge. ;) 

Question on the marine layer. How far inland can a marine layer be defined? I'm just over 100 miles from any major body of water and yet the clouds overhead are considered a marine layer? Just looking for clarification on that.

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

Don't let the marine layer fool you, already over 1,000 J/KG mixed cape. However, shear and instability are displaced with very underwhelming lapse rates. So heavy rain first today. 

Yup, I'd be betting the house on a deluge for many of us. 

bv.png

bvv.png

bvvv.png

bvvvv.png

19 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

Agreed, heavy rain threat still very much in play. But without sunshine for a couple hours I would think svr threat would go down some.