NWS Mid-Atlantic River Forecast Center Job openings

rramblings

Hello everyone,

I follow the NWS Mid-Atlantic River Forecast Center on Facebook, as well as our own Mt. Holly WFO. Anyway, when I went to Facebook this morning, I noted that the MARFC has 2 openings for hydrologists, and they are asking for help in spreading the word about these openings. If you click on the link, you will notice that applications are only being taken for two weeks, from June 19 through July 3rd. They posted this on FB yesterday. Tyler

We had two candidates for the administrative assistant have interviews on Monday. The Meteorologist in Charge spot will likely have to re-advertised since no action was taken within 90 days within after the job closing. Still down 5. The number of vacancies overall continues to increase and is back up to where it was last summer within the NWS. Each office average is down 2.6 people or 10% of total staff. 

• Like 1

:( Thanks for keeping us updated Mitch. I am saddened by the number of vacancies within the NWS. Wishing my friends at Mt Holly WFO the best as you try to fill your vacancies. Tyler

31 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

We had two candidates for the administrative assistant have interviews on Monday. The Meteorologist in Charge spot will likely have to re-advertised since no action was taken within 90 days within after the job closing. Still down 5. The number of vacancies overall continues to increase and is back up to where it was last summer within the NWS. Each office average is down 2.6 people or 10% of total staff. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 8:47 PM, rramblings said:

Mitch, before I pass this on to a friend who may know people who might be interested in applying, is there an application deadline? Tyler

Deadline is 7/19 at 11:59 pm. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The office hired an administrative assistant, the security clearance takes about six months to complete. So that should reduce the number of openings from 5 to 4 by years end assuming no promotions or retirements. We have three potential retirements next year. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 2:10 PM, Mitchg said:

The office hired an administrative assistant, the security clearance takes about six months to complete. So that should reduce the number of openings from 5 to 4 by years end assuming no promotions or retirements. We have three potential retirements next year. 

Wow, did not realize security clearance takes six months.

• Like 1

Please pardon my ignorance here -- is this an extremely specialized position? Not many meteorologists or specialized hydrologists/biologists out there even for admin stuff (know that is filled now)? I am not immersed in the field but obviously interested since I am here. Wish I had seen sooner, have a couple friends who I would pass on to.