Summer Banter Thread

Rainshadow

Well I just returned from my 20th annual Plains storm chasing trip, and it was the most inactive and disappointing since 2006. I was scheduled to be out there for two weeks, from Friday 5/26 until Saturday 6/10. We had some activity on 5/26 and 5/27, then nothing for the next four days as I used the time to work remotely from a hotel room in Oklahoma City. After four days of that and seeing nothing on the horizon for (at the time) at least 4-5 more days, I came back home but with every intention of returning if the second week looked good, which at the time it did starting with Tuesday 6/6. However, that disappeared from the models as the Plains stays under northwest flow the entire work week, which may be good for severe weather when it's in our region but not worth a trip out there. Looks like there could be some activity in the northern Plains next Saturday, dropping down into the southern Plains Sunday and Monday, but not the best setup and conditional upon the ability to break a strong cap. So I don't think I will be heading back out. Profoundly disappointing to love something so much, look forward to it all year, and have it end this way, and to have to wait a whole year before the next opportunity.

Anyway I know this is not Philly stuff but it's the banter thread after all, and if I can't turn to my fellow weather enthusiasts who else can I turn to? [emoji52] The other main connection to this forum is that I have to say, I sure do hope we have a relatively active severe season, not that it can ever be like the Plains but it would at least be some consolation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was laying for a couple of weeks as I recuperated from some minor surgery. All is well and I am back, although perhaps sporadically through the end of August as I take in the last that summer has to offer. Including perhaps a chance to view the solar eclipse in its totality (safely) if the weather holds.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rramblings said:

I was laying for a couple of weeks as I recuperated from some minor surgery. All is well and I am back, although perhaps sporadically through the end of August as I take in the last that summer has to offer. Including perhaps a chance to view the solar eclipse in its totality (safely) if the weather holds.

Hope you're feeling better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rramblings said:

Welcome back! Hopefully your recovery is smooth and as quick as possible.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Welcome back! Hopefully your recovery is smooth and as quick as possible.  

8 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Hope you're feeling better.

Yes, I am finally starting to get back to normal.  :)  While a minor surgery, it was done under an anesthetic with all that goes with it so I was tired for several days. Fortunately the small growth was benign with minimal post surgical pain requiring only Acetaminophen. I started to feel more or less normal a couple of days ago. Not quite back to full strength but getting there for sure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rramblings said:

Glad to hear that you're doing well! Having had quite a lot of surgery over the past couple of years, I know that resting is essential your recovery. Wishing you well! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rramblings said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

I like this new "LLV" abbreviation, need to lock it in and copyright it ;) 

I just imagine people reading and saying where is that low level vorticity, I don't see it.  This could become bigger than the hula tour or crush job. :o

• Like 1