Rainshadow

2/25/17 Line Of Showers and Thunderstorms Observations

While I don't have any time-specific, NWS-approved descriptors for this storm, I'd say it was an unusually impressive t-storm considering it's FEBRUARY. Also, I saw one really terrific, close bolt of lightning.

I would estimate a wind gust to 40 mph with the line here. There may have been some small hail tossed in at times, but hard to see out during the wind driven rain. Decent lightning as well. 

31mph gust here in West Chester at 4:44pm.

Temp has dropped from high of 71F at 2:48pm to 48F now.

Back to reality for February!  It was great while it lasted.

the lack of 50+ winds I expected, but all the hail reports caught me by surprise honestly. 

9 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

the lack of 50+ winds I expected, but all the hail reports caught me by surprise honestly. 

That storm on steroids near Laplata was unexpected earlier. That is the severe hot spot :(

14 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Other way around for me! The lack of winds I was surprised by but the hail reports I wasn't.

27 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yeah I thought some small hail here and there, but it got warmer again which gave the instability a boost. Best signature in our area looked to be the bow from Lancaster to Berks counties (60-65 mph winds with that). Just think if the low-level jet was stronger or the mid level lapse rates were steeper. Still, not bad for late February. 

3 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Yeah I thought some small hail here and there, but it got warmer again which gave the instability a boost. Best signature in our area looked to be the bow from Lancaster to Berks counties (60-65 mph winds with that). Just think if the low-level jet was stronger or the mid level lapse rates were steeper. Still, not bad for late February. 

Yup that was what I was saying days prior to this, was the lack of LLJ.  It really didn't give me that big wind event feeling. The wind storm last Monday or the following Monday was much better than this which had a much stronger LLJ. If we would of had the LLJ, today would of rivaled last February as it seemed like instability was stronger today than last February. 

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

Yup that was what I was saying days prior to this, was the lack of LLJ.  It really didn't give me that big wind event feeling. The wind storm last Monday or the following Monday was much better than this which had a much stronger LLJ. If we would of had the LLJ, today would of rivaled last February as it seemed like instability was stronger today than last February. 

Yeah and I am glad I went several degrees above guidance for today, but in some areas that was still not warm enough. 

• Like 1

wasn't nearly as strong as last FEB's storm but to echo what has been said impressive for this time of year

0.41" , gusty storm, quite a bit of lightning, several nice CTG strikes

28 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Who would think that the only accumulation during the entire second half of February was caused by hail.

• Like 4

All we had was a wind-driven, heavy rain for about 20 minutes in my little corner of Delaware (soon-to-be-Chester) County.

Considering all of the hail reports, I was expecting at least a little. Some of the clouds in the western sky turned an eerie shade of deep turquoise right before the rain started. I wish I'd gotten a picture. :(

• Like 1

Here are the storm reports for today, about 50/50 wind and hail. The east coast outperformed the midwest with this system.

stormreports.gif

On 2/25/2017 at 3:58 PM, rafpsu said:

Some pea size hail in Sinking Spring area. I would estimate the winds around 40 mph. Weird though, definitely one the loudest storms I've ever experienced--that freight train sound. Could that be winds aloft not quite making it down?

My fiance and I just moved to the Sinking Spring area from Wyomissing (we actually turned in our keys to the old apartment that morning) and hadn't noticed the hail. I think the wind and rain drowned out the sound of it at our new apartment. Our power flickered at one point, enough to reset our cable box and modem.

Definitely one of the stronger storms I remember from recent years.

Six tornadoes have been confirmed - 3 in Pa              

1935   PLAINS LUZERNE PA 4127 7585

EF2 TORNADO CONFIRMED FROM PLAINS TO PITTSTON. MAXIMUM WINDS ESTIMATED AT 100 TO 120 MPH. DAMAGE TO 30 HOMES. OVER 1000 TREES KNOCKED DOWN. (BGM)

1935   PITTSTON LUZERNE PA 4133 7579 A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN CLOSE TO BALD MOUNTAIN ROAD IN PLAINS TOWNSHIP LUZERNE COUNTY ... PA AROUND 235 PM EST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 25TH ... 2017. THE TORNADO DID EXTENSIVE D (BGM)
2006   2 NNW LA PLATA CHARLES MD 3856 7698

CONFIRMED EF-1 TORNADO NEAR LA PLATA AND WALDORF MD. ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED 90 MPH. MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH 125 YARDS. PATH LENGTH 8.4 MILES. TOUCHDOWN AT 306 PM ... LIF (LWX)

2015   SE HALLAM YORK PA 4000 7660

AN EF1 TORNADO WAS CONFIRMED BETWEEN HALLAM AND WRIGHTSVILLE BY A NWS STORM SURVEY. MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS ARE ESTIMATED AT 90 MPH ... WITH A PATH LENGTH OF APPROXIMATELY T (CTP)

0018   GOSHEN HAMPSHIRE MA 4243 7280

AN EF-1 TORNADO TOCHED DOWN BRIEFLY IN GOSHEN. SEVERAL PINE TREES WERE SNAPPED MID-WAY AND TWO HOMES WERE DAMAGED BY TREES FALLING ONTO THEM ON PINE ROAD ... JUST TO THE (BOX)

0020   CONWAY FRANKLIN MA 4252 7268 *** 1 INJ *** AN EF-1 TORNADO TOUCHDOWN IN CONWAY WITH A PATH LENGTH OF 5 MILES. 12-14 HOMES WERE SEVERELY DAMAGED AND HUNDREDS OF TREES WERE KNOCKED DOWN. (BOX)