Sign in to follow this  
tombo82685

CFS, GGEM, JMA, and Euro Weeklies Thread

24 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I'll take the under on that +1 for next week

So would I, double to nothing on that.

week 1 -pna/-wpo/-ao/+nao/-epo. Below normal hgts

week 2 -wpo/neutral epo/-nao/neutral ao/+pna. Good meridonal flow, big Aleutian ridge, flow from Canada.

week 3 -wpo/neutral epo/neutral to slightly neg pna/+ao/neutral to pos nao/ rather zonal flow, mean trough just off the east coast, normal hgts

week 4 +pna/-epo/-ao/+nao/-wpo/ mean trough centered over lakes, abv normal hgts, some meridonal flow

week 5 +pna/-epo/-ao/+nao/-wpo/mean trough over the east coast, meridonal flow, normal hgts

week 6 -epo/+pna/-ao/+nao/-wpo/ some meridonal flow, normal hgts, mean trough looks to be over central lakes

Honestly, another pretty good run here. I don't expect the weeklies temps to be anything tundra like, but that  h5 look I would take. It at least doesn't have any sign of a huge se ridge or anything like that

week 5 into week 6 looks like a 2013/2014 with pv induced gradient as PV tries to make a run towards Hudson Bay

seriously this weeks weeklies almost looks nino like. Has a split flow look too. 

temps

week 1 -3

week 2 -2

week 3 -1

week 4 +1

week 5 -1

week 6 +1

precip slightly below normal

• Like 1

Snow holding steady at around 4 inches in Philly and close to a foot at MPO. Would like to see the numbers increase given the weeklies are going deeper into winter.  Weeklies looked like a normal month of December. However, I liked how that trough off the west coast goes away. Heights are to high across most of the east given the ridge shown in the west. I think this run had issues figuring out the trough in the 10-15 day which carried through later in the run. Our main goal should be not to have a torchmas this year :smileys-snowman-924988:

Biggest week 2 warm bust since the middle of March.  Neither the CFS2 nor the Euro saw the cold snap of last week (as nearby as week 2) coming.  Euro & CFS2 not cold enough week 1 either, but at least had the right sign.

• Like 1

week 1 -wpo/+epo/-nao/+pna/-ao. Aleutian ridge Normal hgts, some meridonal flow, still a little zonal. mean trough over pit

week 2 neutral nao/+epo/+pna/neutral ao/+wpo/ Aleutian low, mean trough in the east, normal hgts. Some meridonal still a little zonal. Mean trough over Atlantic ocean

week 3 +wpo/+epo/+pna/+nao/+ao. Aleutian low, normal hgts, mean trough in the east, some meridonal flow, still a little zonal. Mean trough over Cleveland

week 4 +wpo/-epo/+pna/neutral ao/+nao/ Aleutian low, normal hgts. Some meridonal flow, still a little zonal. Mean trough over Indianapolis

week 5 +wpo/-epo/neutral pna/+nao/-ao/ still a bit of an Aleutian low. Mean trough over Chicago. Bit of a se ridge with some lower hgts back in the west. Abv normal hgts Pretty zonal flow

week 6 -wpo/-epo/-ao/-nao/neutral pna. Looks like there is going to be a massive cold dump coming into the Plains. Abv normal hgts, still pretty zonal. Mean trough over Chicago

I don't really see any big cold or torch signal. Week 5 would be my guess with warmest anomalies.  Still nothing to alarming. I would definitely watch though for more cold into the US if these epo dumps occur.  Still not a bad weeklies run really. 

temps

week 1 -2

week 2 -1

week 3 +1

week 4 0

week 5 +1

week 6 +1

Canadian Weeklies

Temps near normal all four weeks.  Weeks 1 & 2 have cold south of us, weeks 3 & 4 have warmth west & east of us.

Pcpn below normal weeks 1 & 2; near normal weeks 3 & 4.

I'll just take the euro control which buries my car under feet of snow at the airport parking lot between Christmas and New Years. Seriously, these weeklies are flopping around a bit but this run just had a lot of transient things with it and a normal December. 

In general CFS2 weeklies undo the -nao pattern after week 2 and are fairly stoutly ninaish from week 3 beyond.  I'd say week 3 looks the torchiest, but anything beyond week 2 in either direction is for entertainment purposes only.  Not much skill past day 8 with the nao and it was already proven this month.

32 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

In general CFS2 weeklies undo the -nao pattern after week 2 and are fairly stoutly ninaish from week 3 beyond.  I'd say week 3 looks the torchiest, but anything beyond week 2 in either direction is for entertainment purposes only.  Not much skill past day 8 with the nao and it was already proven this month.

Another winter cancel run?

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Another winter cancel run?

The dollar cost average 500mb pattern looks especially on TTidbits are so zonalish I never know how much to increase the amplitude.  The temps after week 2 are above, again its after week 2.

week 1 -nao/-epo/+pna/-ao. Flow from Canada, below normal hgts. Trough centered over Philly

week 2 -nao/neutral epo/-ao/neutral pna. Split flow nino look. Below normal hgts, flow from US/Canada border. Trough centered over Long Island

week 3 -epo/-ao/neutral nao/neutral pna. split flow look. Above normal hgts, flow from PAC NW. Trough centered over lake Mich. Little bit of a se ridge

week 4 -epo/-ao/-enao/neutral pna. Split flow look. Normal hgts, flow from PAC NW. Trough centered over Detroit.

week 5 -epo/-ao/-enao/neutral pna. above normal hgts, flow from PAC NW. Trough centered over Detroit. Little bit of  a se ridge look 

week 6 -epo/-ao/-enao/neutral pna. Normal hgts, flow from PAC NW. Trough centered over Detroit. Big cold signal spreading into N plains and OH valley and comes east

Again, not a bad weekly run at all. Nothing torch-like nor brutal cold showing up. Pretty seasonable looking. A lot of high lat blocking continues on the weeklies. Not so much nao region but in Alaska and across the pole. 

CFS2 run continues to bring a milder pattern in the LLLLLLLLV section. On the plus side IMO anything beyond week 2 (and sometimes week 2) is for entertainment purposes only.   I'd say weeks 3 & 5 pattern look the warmest for us, week 6 has a colder look, of course all of this is in the entertainment section.

Week 1 has the -nao/+pna pattern at its strongest, which starts to unwind in week 2.

Weeks 3 to 6 have an outlooked +nao pattern with the highest height departures over the lower Mississippi week 3, over us week 4, off the east coast week 5 and in the central Atlantic week 6. The greast hints at Aleutian troffing are weeks 4 & 6.

Previous Monday outlook anomaly for same week in parenthesis.

Week 1.....-4F  (+1F)  taking the under seemed wise 

Week 2.....-1F  (+2F)

Week 3.....+3F (+2F)

Week 4......+2F  (+2F)  

Week 5......+2F  (+2F) (TTidbits)

Week 6.....+1F (TTidbits)

Pcpn

Week 1...below

Week 2...below

Week 3...normal

Week 4...wet

Week 5....wet (TTidbits)

Week 6....normal (TTidbits)

Week just concluded in PHL average -1F and both the Euro & CFS2 returned to their normal bias and were too cold, this time in a cold week.

Running total for year:

weeklies.JPG.14d51e5161b2884d0712f088a34f9d67.JPG

4 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Week just concluded in PHL average -1F and both the Euro & CFS2 returned to their normal bias and were too cold, this time in a cold week.

Running total for year:

weeklies.JPG.14d51e5161b2884d0712f088a34f9d67.JPG

Whats funny, the overall bias of the weeklies in general is warm. Not talking here, but just nationally. It has  very hard time seeing cold past week 2

37 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Whats funny, the overall bias of the weeklies in general is warm. Not talking here, but just nationally. It has  very hard time seeing cold past week 2

True. The Euro ensembles weeks 3 or 4 in particular rarely deviate much from + / -  1 so they lose in warm years for not recognizing warm weeks either.  This also could be a case that the weeklies don't know Philly is an urban site.

3 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Temps

week 1 -2

week 2 -3

week 3 +1

week 4 0

week 5 +1

week 6 0

precip below normal

These 850 temps?

I wouldn't trust much past week 2 now. Only thing I take away is the blocking looks more legit than the past couple of years in general. The week 5-6 period on Monday's weeklies would be several degrees below normal given the 500 but Thursday's weeklies likely will be different. CFS 2 performance is not good in recent weeks as well, modeled blowtorch for this month has not worked out.