*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

tombo82685

8/10-8/16 Prolonged high dews, heat, and thunderstorm obs.

We are under a Heat Advisory down here in the Outer Banks of NC, heat indices should be close to what is forecast back home. Stay cool, everyone!

It is already 86/80 HI 101 right now.

17 hours ago, dryslotted said:

That's overhead here. Pretty awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The storm that came over Downingtown was really intense in Upper Uwchlan.   Probably the strongest we've had since the February storm.  We had a lightening strike within a couple hundred yards of our house.  I was watching out my screen door at the time and jumped backwards and screamed like a little girl.  The winds were strong.  It switched directions West -> East then East-> West and back again.  Interesting to watch.  

19 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

euro has 93 at phl for today, yea I don't think so. Might be 93 at noon

Srsly. 86/80 HI 100. Surprisingly pleasant tending to the garden in the shade, and conversely murderous in the full-blast sun...No go on mow today...:smiley_emoticons_hot:

21 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

Meanwhile, in LA, MS:

Some incredible flooding going on. 

image.png

The sit and spin continues this morning...

I suppose marginal risk today goes without saying in these conditions, but here's the SPC update for our area (sorry Tony)...

...LOWER GREAT LAKES/NORTHEAST STATES...
   THE EASTWARD SHIFT OF A MID/UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED OVER THE
   UPPER MS RIVER VALLEY EARLY TODAY WILL CONTRIBUTE TO WEAK DOWNSTREAM
   HEIGHT FALLS AND MODESTLY STRENGTHENING MID-TROPOSPHERIC
   WEST-SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS THROUGH TONIGHT...PARTICULARLY ACROSS THE
   UPPER OH VALLEY/LOWER GREAT LAKES INTO NEW ENGLAND. A VERY MOIST AIR
   MASS EXISTS ALONG/SOUTH OF A ROUGHLY WEST/EAST-ORIENTED FRONT...AND
   THIS BOUNDARY SHOULD GENERALLY REMAIN SEMI-STATIONARY WITH SOME
   NORTHWARD SHIFT POSSIBLE LATER TODAY/TONIGHT IN RESPONSE TO THE
   UPSTREAM TROUGH AND AN EAST/NORTHEASTWARD-SHIFTING LOW ACROSS
   ONTARIO/QUEBEC. 

GIVEN THE DEGREE OF MOISTURE ACROSS THE REGION...POCKETS OF STRONG
   INSOLATION/DESTABILIZATION WILL QUICKLY ERODE CONVECTIVE INHIBITION
   WITH A LIKELY INCREASE IN THUNDERSTORM COVERAGE/INTENSITY THROUGH
   THE AFTERNOON. SOMEWHAT STRONGER VERTICAL SHEAR /25-30 KT EFFECTIVE/
   IS EXPECTED NEAR AND JUST SOUTH OF THE FRONT...WITH MODERATELY
   STRONGER MID-LEVEL WINDS /3-6 KM AGL/ NOTED IN THE 12Z BUFFALO NY
   OBSERVED SOUNDING. ACCORDINGLY...A FEW SOMEWHAT MORE
   SUSTAINED/ORGANIZED MULTICELLULAR CLUSTERS MAY ULTIMATELY EVOLVE
   PARTICULARLY ACROSS PARTS OF NY INTO WESTERN NEW ENGLAND THIS
   AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING. 

day1otlk_1300.gif?1471099082828

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jec6 said:

The storm that came over Downingtown was really intense in Upper Uwchlan.   Probably the strongest we've had since the February storm.  We had a lightening strike within a couple hundred yards of our house.  I was watching out my screen door at the time and jumped backwards and screamed like a little girl.  The winds were strong.  It switched directions West -> East then East-> West and back again.  Interesting to watch.  

Agreed. No severe winds (at least where I was), but definitely the most compelling storm in this area for what feels like quite a while...One close-by strike made me yelp a bit as well, had to laugh at myself...

just retreated to the friendly confines of AC after being outside since 7:30, which included a 17.5 bike ride, appropriate word is obscene out

PHL looks to have tied the all time AUG high min with the low of 82 this morning, heat index didn't get below 90

Trenton checking in with a 105 heat index at 11:00am :heat miser:

Gee, 4500 SBCAPE/3000 MLCAPE spot over my area on the SPC mesoanalysis website. While it's very unstable, I'm worried for yet another day of storms just going to the north but nothing here again. Just have to see how it plays out.

3 minutes ago, Treckasec said:

Gee, 4500 SBCAPE/3000 MLCAPE spot over my area on the SPC mesoanalysis website. While it's very unstable, I'm worried for yet another day of storms just going to the north but nothing here again. Just have to see how it plays out.

problem is you're a little to deep into the high pressure and the ridge. Thats why areas north and west have been getting it, further displaced. Once they get close to phl, closer to the ridge they fall apart. 

91/80 at the course, HI 109. Not going to feel good when I go back at 2pm to check on the greens. 

27 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

problem is you're a little to deep into the high pressure and the ridge. Thats why areas north and west have been getting it, further displaced. Once they get close to phl, closer to the ridge they fall apart. 

Mmhm, I've seen. I've been watching the pressure and it is dropping little by little, so I'm thinking even if no today, eventually we'll be less in the grasp of the high and maybe I could get some storms for once haha