tombo82685

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

Just now, cbelke said:

A 300 yard second shot with a 3 wood on to the back of the green after hitting the oak tree was amazing.

Some days its your day, when you get the breaks, you gotta capitalize. Being in the final group at the US Open and having a sideway round had to be a learning experience.

• Like 2

7iron to 221yrd par 3.... these guys are unreal. Glad to see JT get a major! Speith and him will be busting ricky's chops!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

Justin Thomas won it!  The 10th hole kick out from the oak tree into the fairway and then the putt that hung on the lip for 9.9 seconds before falling in.  He really won it on Saturday getting thru the green mile at par when everyone else were bogeying/double bogeying.

He was rock solid with the putter right from the start of the round today. Chip in on 13 was huge, tee shot & subsequent bird on 17 were fantastic.

Justin played to final 3 holes at even par the past 2 days.

Blow up holes are keeping Rickie from joining his party boat buddies with the heavy hardware. CBS put up a stat SAT that over his career he leads the tour in double bogeys.

9 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

He was rock solid with the putter right from the start of the round today. Chip in on 13 was huge, tee shot & subsequent bird on 17 were fantastic.

Justin played to final 3 holes at even par the past 2 days.

Blow up holes are keeping Rickie from joining his party boat buddies with the heavy hardware. CBS put up a stat SAT that over his career he leads the tour in double bogeys.

I bet you Rickie led the field in birdies this week. Vehemently agree Rickie has to turn "others" into salvaged bogeys especially in majors where "others" can come easy.  

Edit: Just looked up the stats Rickie was tied 4th in birdies which makes his 5th place finish this week seem logical. The one difference this tournament between Justin (who led in birdies) and Rickie is that Justin made no "others".

We'll give this thread another day or so for any PGA Tourney talk to keep it in one place and then we'll start a new grass/golf/garden thread.

Good idea. Maybe separate them?  Make a grass/garden thread and make a golf thread?

Just a thought.

11 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

I bet you Rickie led the field in birdies this week. Vehemently agree Rickie has to turn "others" into salvaged bogeys especially in majors where "others" can come easy.  

Edit: Just looked up the stats Rickie was tied 4th in birdies which makes his 5th place finish this week seem logical. The one difference this tournament between Justin (who led in birdies) and Rickie is that Justin made no "others".

I agree to a point.  I also think that Rickie was also too conservative at times, particularly in the earlier rounds, however that was his game plan.  He just baffles me at how he seems to always be around in the majors, but he just can't string 4 rounds together.  Once he gets up the leaderboard he always seems to find his way back down.    He should have a major in his pocket the way he putts, but I just think he gets in his own way.  IMO he lacks that killer instinct.  He had it when he was pissed off at the TPC a few years back when he was voted the most overrated by his peers the week prior and he played with a chip on his shoulder and it showed.  Haven't seen it since.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baseball0618 said:

I agree to a point.  I also think that Rickie was also too conservative at times, particularly in the earlier rounds, however that was his game plan.  He just baffles me at how he seems to always be around in the majors, but he just can't string 4 rounds together.  Once he gets up the leaderboard he always seems to find his way back down.    He should have a major in his pocket the way he putts, but I just think he gets in his own way.  IMO he lacks that killer instinct.  He had it when he was pissed off at the TPC a few years back when he was voted the most overrated by his peers the week prior and he played with a chip on his shoulder and it showed.  Haven't seen it since.   

I agree with this post 1000%.  He is my favorite player on tour and I am baffled too. Yesterday his whole approach (he was putting with a sense of urgency) was go for broke and paid off.  That tee shot on 17 on Saturday, dont know if that was a go for broke or just a mis-hit, but that "other" stung.  Maybe that is a Harmon thing to kind of lurk on Thu/Fri and then turn it on on the weekend. I dont remember Tiger getting off to scintillating Thursday starts, then again my memory fades.

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

I agree with this post 1000%.  He is my favorite player on tour and I am baffled too. Yesterday his whole approach (he was putting with a sense of urgency) was go for broke and paid off.  That tee shot on 17 on Saturday, dont know if that was a go for broke or just a mis-hit, but that "other" stung.  Maybe that is a Harmon thing to kind of lurk on Thu/Fri and then turn it on on the weekend. I dont remember Tiger getting off to scintillating Thursday starts, then again my memory fades.

You don't win majors by being timid.  There is a time and a place in a every round where being conservative is the correct call, but you can't just apply a conservative approach across an entire round(s) of a major and expect to win.