Sign in to follow this  
chescopawxman

Private Professional MET Thoughts

JB sticking with his 3-6" forecast from DCA to NYC but understands he "might" be overdone.....also telling folks to not write off the Saturday night into Sunday AM event - 3" plus event possible....

Looks like JB while admitting he was a bit too far east with his forecast is talking up his being the only snow forecast in the 4 to 6" range that may verify in South Jersey

So what is up with NBC 10 and the weather team…

I had noticed since earlier in the winter a lot of switching around of time schedules with Glenn making many more 11pm appearances… Now today Sheena was on at 11 AM for the first time that I can recall and lo and behold Doug Kamerrer has shown his face again tonight at 6pm and I believe also at 11pm..

He's actually pretty good and nice to see him back at least for a short bit while it seems they're sorting out which direction they're heading!?

Anyone have any input on this?

So what is up with NBC 10 and the weather team…

I had noticed since earlier in the winter a lot of switching around of time schedules with Glenn making many more 11pm appearances… Now today Sheena was on at 11 AM for the first time that I can recall and lo and behold Doug Kamerrer has shown his face again tonight at 6pm and I believe also at 11pm..

He's actually pretty good and nice to see him back at least for a short bit while it seems they're sorting out which direction they're heading!?

Anyone have any input on this?

Reason Doug is back is because Hurricane is out with the flu

Well, I know that's the reason they gave but it seems to me that there is more behind it than bringing a chief meteorologist up from DC just to "fill in" for Glen (who rarely is on at 11pm anyway)...

Glen was on the night before at 11 pm and seemed just fine...

We'll see.

It seems a bit odd though because if it was just because Glenn is out due to an illness, then why not just have Sheena cover his slot? They moved her to the early morning newscast though for two weeks. Perhaps she is just covering for Bill Henley? Not sure since I do not work there.

It seems a bit odd though because if it was just because Glenn is out due to an illness, then why not just have Sheena cover his slot? They moved her to the early morning newscast though for two weeks. Perhaps she is just covering for Bill Henley? Not sure since I do not work there.

Exactly, plus they have a slew of others in-house that they could have gone to.

Time will tell...

Maybe nothing but we'll see.

I believe 10 is down one meteorologist (Brittany Shipp left a couple of months ago). Bill is on vacation so Sheena is covering for Bill and Glenn's got the flu. The others that are on (Karen Thomas, Michelle Grossman) are fill-in/freelancers...probably some sort of contractual thing there that limits the hours that they can work (Speculation on my part).

Doug works for NBC 4 in DC so having him come up to Philly makes sense since it's a sister station thing.

How 'bout Herb Clark, Gene Crane or Wally Kennan?

6m6 minutes ago
Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi
The pest shifts west on GFS,brings into play the chance of hurricane winds in every state Fla to Maine Has happened only once.. Donna 1960

From EPAWA

Montgomery:Snow starts 10P-mid Mon. night, heaviest 2AM-noon Tue, tapers off 3PM-5PM. Snow 18-24 in., locally higher. Winds to 45 mph with blizzard conditions.

Some updated Winter Forecast thoughts from this AM from the WeatherBell Team

"In terms of the past five winters for the nation as a whole, this should be a more widespread winter. I think there will be periods of shifting, as to where the worst of winter will be. The forecast balances out two dangers: (1) that the 1995-96 example tries to run the table and (2) if the MJO is amped-up and goes into the cold phases, it could get really ugly given there will be an opportunity to put snow down.

The other winters are when major warmups beat back the overall cold. My strategy from the get-go is to let you know this is not some ho-hum winter. A lot of forecasts issued after our first one back in summer seem to echo what we have been saying. That being said, I had my suspicions on the modeling having to shift eastward for the early winter, so I am jumping on that. I fear the threat of a mid-winter warm up. The analogs I showed you had the warm October, the cold trying to get into the East early, but also have a pull back. So the result is more cold farther to the east because of the early cold and then try to home in as we see some of the other things I just talked about. This winter has a lot of potential and certainly the way we get to the end is likely to be a heck of ride."