Sign in to follow this  
Mitchg

Winter banter Thread

It was the freezing rain.  Conditions were fine from Gap up to Leola.  As soon as I got north of Route 23, it was a skating rink.  I'm actually thinking it was the subtle temp differences that led to the drive getting so much worse. It's actually the worst icing conditions on roads I can remember in some time. When I got out to check on the bus driver, it was a solid 1/10" coating of ice on the road.  

Yikes. Thankfully that damn line fizzled when it got into the Philly metro. 

I hate to say this, but I have a "feeling" we won't see any more big snows in southern NJ. My reasoning is that I just upgraded my snowblower and bought a new one. My old one still runs OK, but I decided to go to a 2 stage. I have a big driveway and sidewalk, but it was more work getting rid of the snow/slush that the plows piled at the bottom of my driveway.

I hope I get to use the new blower, but we all know about a jinx when you buy a new one.

• Like 2

I hate to say this, but I have a "feeling" we won't see any more big snows in southern NJ. My reasoning is that I just upgraded my snowblower and bought a new one. My old one still runs OK, but I decided to go to a 2 stage. I have a big driveway and sidewalk, but it was more work getting rid of the snow/slush that the plows piled at the bottom of my driveway.

I hope I get to use the new blower, but we all know about a jinx when you buy a new one.

Now you did it. ;)

I just ordered a new (well, first) snowblower myself.  So between you and South Jersey and me in Lancaster County....I-95 jackpots forever?

I just ordered a new (well, first) snowblower myself.  So between you and South Jersey and me in Lancaster County....I-95 jackpots forever?

my new screen name?

I hope Frosty has already signed his last will and testament before tomorrow.

All he needs is some North Pole air and he's good as new.

Maybe it is too early to start a new thread for next sunday possible storm, but if it happens, my new snowblower jinx will still be in effect since I will be out of the country. However, I will be seeing my own deep snow storm in the French Alps (skiing). Can't call it a blizzard there since they don't usually get the wind with their storms.

Interesting progs on both the ECMWF and GFS for that area next Sunday Feb 7.

Nice day out there!

Nicer day today.  I am really enjoying this turn to brutally cold outlook, otherwise it would have been in the 80s today. 

Maybe it is too early to start a new thread for next sunday possible storm, but if it happens, my new snowblower jinx will still be in effect since I will be out of the country. However, I will be seeing my own deep snow storm in the French Alps (skiing). Can't call it a blizzard there since they don't usually get the wind with their storms.

Interesting progs on both the ECMWF and GFS for that area next Sunday Feb 7.

I wish I were in your place, would love to see the alps

The good thing is today's overperformer on temps will help ease the flood threat a bit on Wed.

Totally agree - very nice way to melt deep snowpack without a flood ala 1996.

My friend sent me this from his annual "man camp" trip from Sullivan County:

4652b64bd8a3e7bdbbef47951f32c284.jpg

Not a trace of snow anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I were in your place, would love to see the alps

They are beautiful and totally different vs N. America including the Rockies.

• Like 1

enjoy the trip!

Have they gotten a good amount of snow this year? I know europe has been pretty warm itself outside of a couple weeks in january.