*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow5.8

Hurricane Sally Makes Landfall Near Gulf Shores Alabama

14 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Hurricane warning already up.  What a lousy track angle for New Orleans.

Yea, track doesn't look good.  Per below, still impacted by shear, but supposed to relax today.  Tough intensity forecast with a lot riding on outcome.

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

Yea, track doesn't look good.  Per below, still impacted by shear, but supposed to relax today.  Tough intensity forecast with a lot riding on outcome.

To some extent (caveat surveying still going on about the peak surge) we saw that with Laura, any slowing of the intensification can only help with the surge.

My mom and sister live just SW of Mobile, they are watching this one closely. Forecasting 10-15" of rain for their part of Alabama. 

Fortunately, slow to improve organization yesterday. With slow movement, still time for some intensification today. 

NHC calling for 15-20" at my mom's now. Looks like over 48 hours of tropical storm conditions... Going to be a long week. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

NHC calling for 15-20" at my mom's now. Looks like over 48 hours of tropical storm conditions... Going to be a long week. 

While the modeling has been shakier as to where, they unfortunately have been more consistent about it being slow. I hope your family is in a less flood prone area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

OT. But can we get the front to slow enough for some rains from sally up her next weekend? @tombo82685

The euro was hinting at that earlier, but thats a big man high associated with that trough and it's going to want to press south.Could see some light rain fire up along the cold front as it converges with some of the outflow from the tropical system. But the tropical system type rains I'm betting against coming up here. 

• Like 1

Track shifted further east. My mom isn't in a very flood prone area thankfully, but they have horses and chickens which always complicates things. Wind forecast has gotten considerably worse there. 

5 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Track shifted further east. My mom isn't in a very flood prone area thankfully, but they have horses and chickens which always complicates things. Wind forecast has gotten considerably worse there. 

Hopefully the drifting motion, bad for rain, will plump bob up well cooler water and help the intensity decrease as the eye makes landfall.

• Like 1

The intensity forecast has not increased and Stacy Stewart mentioned the start of the churning/upwelling on reducing SST(s).   Anyway, because of the slow drift, this is a ton of rainfall.  What has been good for New Orleans, has not been good for Mobile.

095758WPCQPF_sm.gif.0590016132b455f41e505408963f959c.gif

095758_peak_surge.png

r.JPG

My mom and sister lost power around 9 last night, no surprise there. Said they heard snapping of branches all night. What an incredibly long duration event this is. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

My mom and sister lost power around 9 last night, no surprise there. Said they heard snapping of branches all night. What an incredibly long duration event this is. 

Unfortunately it did well to maintain its strength in spite of the slow motion and some predicted shear.