*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
chescopawxman

Most viewed live games on NBC Sports Philadelphia

If the MLB blows off this season, it will cause irreparable damage to the sport. There are those that haven't returned to the sport since the 1994 stoppage. Many will follow if there is no baseball this year. There is little interest in the sport from young people and this would relegate baseball to a minor sports interest. Billionaires against millionaires - in these times people don't want to hear it.

6 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

If the MLB blows off this season, it will cause irreparable damage to the sport. There are those that haven't returned to the sport since the 1994 stoppage. Many will follow if there is no baseball this year. There is little interest in the sport from young people and this would relegate baseball to a minor sports interest. Billionaires against millionaires - in these times people don't want to hear it.

Nah....I heard the same exact argument in the late 90's (after the 94 strike)  when the Phillies sucked and the WIP hosts like Glen Macnow and Howard Eskin were saying "no one is playing baseball anymore...young people don't play it like when I was a kid....baseball will never come back..every time I look at the obituary section another baseball fan dies" that was a Macnow classic."  Of course just 10 years later the Phillies were the top TV attendance team in baseball with 3 straight years of selling our 45k seats every night at the park. Baseball is unique among the sports as it is kind of as one friend of mine calls it "male soap opera" apologies to the ladies for that one....but his point is well taken. As much as we all love football it is 1x a week....hockey and basketball a few times  a week....baseball feeds our sports obsession almost every single night for 7 months! That is what distinguishes it from all other sports...there is a reason we call it our National Pastime!!....it has survived players throwing a series to gamblers in the 1919 Black Sox scandal....to the 1994 strike that ended a season....to the "steroid era".....it will not only survive the virus....it will continue to thrive!

1 hour ago, chescopawxman said:

Nah....I heard the same exact argument in the late 90's (after the 94 strike)  when the Phillies sucked and the WIP hosts like Glen Macnow and Howard Eskin were saying "no one is playing baseball anymore...young people don't play it like when I was a kid....baseball will never come back..every time I look at the obituary section another baseball fan dies" that was a Macnow classic."  Of course just 10 years later the Phillies were the top TV attendance team in baseball with 3 straight years of selling our 45k seats every night at the park. Baseball is unique among the sports as it is kind of as one friend of mine calls it "male soap opera" apologies to the ladies for that one....but his point is well taken. As much as we all love football it is 1x a week....hockey and basketball a few times  a week....baseball feeds our sports obsession almost every single night for 7 months! That is what distinguishes it from all other sports...there is a reason we call it our National Pastime!!....it has survived players throwing a series to gamblers in the 1919 Black Sox scandal....to the 1994 strike that ended a season....to the "steroid era".....it will not only survive the virus....it will continue to thrive!

Good points, Paul. While I agree with your points and absolutely crave baseball, at the same time they need to do something about the HR/K couplet that they're currently burdened with. 

• Like 1

The people that care about baseball are long in the tooth. What are kids playing in your area baseball or soccer? I can tell you what's happening here.

33 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

The people that care about baseball are long in the tooth. What are kids playing in your area baseball or soccer? I can tell you what's happening here.

Baseball is big in my current town.  But, my old town, it is on its last legs.  When I was little league age (28 years ago or so in my old town), there were 18 major league teams and 14 minor.  This year I heard that the town has 4 major and 4 minor.  Some kids are going to travel and club teams, but overall that is a ton of kids lost.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

There's good representation for both BB and soccer down here. Although soccer is pretty terrific, there's more variety to BB, speaking as a fan of course. But then again I'm somewhat long in the tooth myself.

• Like 1

Well I care for baseball and I suppose you could say I am long in the tooth. When I was ten I wanted to be the first female pitcher on the LA Dodgers. Go figure since zI grew up in Boston in the 60s. Tyler

• Like 1