*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow5.8

4/9/20 Thunderstorm, Wind Obs

2 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Thunder...thunder....thunder

Wait. What???  Thunder??? Where???

Yeah, I heard what I thought was thunder just before 8:00. I haven't been following the weather hahaha so it surprised me. Looks like it was isolated to the Delmarva peninsula. 

There was 1-2 low rumbles of thunder as this moved through, but other than that just some downpours, nothing crazy. Taking on a mesolow appearance now as it moves offshore.

us_radarus-en-087-0_2020_04_09_477_KDIX_357_133005.png

A line of showers from Reading to Lancaster will produce gusts of 50 to 60 mph as moves into

Southern Berks, Northern Chester and Western Montgomery counties.

Getting small hail. Weird, the higher returns on radar yielded very little rain but small hail for a minute or so. Gusts ahead of the precip. 30-40 mph. Barely 0.10” rain. 

Heard a tree snap up the street at the very beginning. Some pea size hail briefly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Getting small hail. Weird, the higher returns on radar yielded very little rain but small hail for a minute or so. Gusts ahead of the precip. 30-40 mph. Barely 0.10” rain. 

Never got a wall of rain like radar indicated, seemed to be more wind than anything then some steady rain came in. Only got 0.08" out of this round.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbelke said:

Never got a wall of rain like radar indicated, seemed to be more wind than anything then some steady rain came in. Only got 0.08" out of this round.

Yeah, those higher radar returns were clearly catching the hail. Interesting seeing the lack of rain as oranges and reds rolled over. Winds out front were decent. Lawn furniture and cushions launched, as usual. 

• Like 1

WOW--line just passed through out here and that was wind unlike anything I have seen since I moved here.  The weather station picked up a max of 35.3 MPH, which shatters the previous record.  It is only about eight feet off the ground and isn't totally exposed so I'm sure the actual wind was much higher than that.  Yard is a mess.

• Like 2

Getting power flickers now with this mini-second band of wind. 

The wind had an incredible roar. Very nice show here on Towamencin. Primarily a wind and drama cloud event. Vultures were loving it. We had a nice burst of rain. We had a covid scare in the house and I'm trying to avoid running in and out, so I had to take a picture from the window. 😒

0409201300.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty much a snoozefest here in Media. Few gust maybe 25mph max? Spit rain for a few minutes and that was it.