*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow5.8

Barney X, Ending Feb In Style? Results Are In, Better Than Average.

Well trying to figure out a pattern with the GFS and cold.  End of month Barney Blast comes with a Negative NAM. Will it like Valentines Day Barney not be a GFS cold blanket?  I already saw some 50_ thicknesses by it, so Barney has some work ahead. 

There is a bit of a can kick going on too on the GFS.  Barney X is going to be a long list. I plan on summarizing all the Barneys into one thread.  I wish I could have noticed wave 1, 2 or -NAM(s), maybe next season.  There was a wave 2 peak around this time with Barney IX.

Bottom PHL 1000-500mb thickness was 514 with 15 hours of Barney thicknesses (AOB 516).  Have to wait til tomorrow morning to make sure of min.

35 for the high in philly, nice 12 below normal. Barney ftw

On 2/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, Rainshadow said:

If the past two Barney performances on mins are any indication, PHL's bottom with this Barney will be 24F.

Off by 1F, PHL bottom was 25F this morning.

Probably our last Barney.  GFS got the timing right (bottom) 5 days out, in general the correct thickness about 4 days out (runs before that were too cold overall.  Hours of Barney I generally wanted to see at least 15 consecutive hours before including it.   So yeah there was some too prolonged cold back in there.  It looks like a good rule of thumb to lower the 2m min temps by 3F as we get within three days.  This cold shot was preceded by a wave 2 hit and a miniscule -nam. Those attempted Barneys for March 5th & 7th appear destined to not work.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Where the heck did the rest of the Barney threads go? None for April, none for May, what about this one in June? 

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

@cbelke why do you think Tony discriminates against Barney?

Good question. Could it be he is afraid of his fig trees looking like the walking dead year round? 

image.jpeg.08c595ecab8a9bb822a5e632172ad9fa.jpeg

But, Barney LOVES frozen figs!!!

frozen figs.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbelke said:

Good question. Could it be he is afraid of his fig trees looking like the walking dead year round?  But, Barney LOVES frozen figs!!!

He came out guns blazing in winter and then the guns transformed into little water pistols 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

He came out guns blazing in winter and then the guns transformed into little water pistols 

Its hard for beans to climb a frosty bean pole as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbelke said:

Its hard for beans to climb a frosty bean pole as well. 

Or pulverized by CAA winds in June 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Or pulverized by CAA winds in June 

Some nice CAA backing winds in June to bring down some hail to help finish off the veggies is always fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Some nice CAA backing winds in June to bring down some hail to help finish off the veggies is always fun.

Until Barney gets a fair shake I’m boycotting the qpf thread in fall and winter. Someone needs to take a stance and stand up for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, tombo82685 said:

Until Barney gets a fair shake I’m boycotting the qpf thread in fall and winter. Someone needs to take a stance and stand up for him. 

Count me in!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Count me in!

Good! Knew I could count on you 

On 5/27/2020 at 5:58 AM, tombo82685 said:

Where the heck did the rest of the Barney threads go? None for April, none for May, what about this one in June? 

You can do the Barney threads.  I am too busy hiding from that Facebook stalking woman.