*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

tombo82685

Winter 2019/20 Melt/implode thread

Perfection on GFS.  Big beautiful HP in between LP's.  We'll just let that HP slide offshore, go to waste, then let the next LP cut to our west.  A Yawnter 2019/20 highlight.  Yes!!!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh162-210.gif

58 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

Phillywx.com shutdown in t-10 days per Euro...nice knowing you guys:

Borrowing one from the other thread - We have the day 10 euro just where we want it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, susqushawn said:

Screenshot_20200213-051918_Chrome.jpg

Euro tells GFS to hold its beer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Euro tells GFS to hold its beer.

has support from eps 

5 hours ago, susqushawn said:

Screenshot_20200213-051918_Chrome.jpg

Georgia >>> PHL 😫

2 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

Yawnter 2020 is at it again that little stinker!

lakes low ftl

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

lakes low ftl

It's magical how many ways we've been screwed this winter.  I'm running out weenie-isms to maintain hope

3 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

It's magical how many ways we've been screwed this winter.  I'm running out weenie-isms to maintain hope

I'm over it, i've taken it for what it is, crap. Sure I'm still searching for one snow event and will continue to do so till spring but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't happen. 

It's official.  That was the most atrocious mid February 0z model run in the history of mid February 0z model runs.  I can find zero glimmers of hope in a sea of meh.  The Yawnter stranglehold is real and relentless.  The phantom ridge bridging nonsense, PNA spike, AK vortek retreat, east coast troughing, Barney attacks, -NAO (lol) and even deep South snow has completely vanished.  All of this emphasizes how important it is to enjoy the bone chilling 2-day stretch of below normal temps.  Light the fire, even if you dont have a fireplace.  Sleep with the windows open.  Imbibe heavily as if an epic nor'easter was building precip to our south and pivoting due north up the coast as we await the first flakes while a massive HP funnels cold arctic air down the  coastal plain.  Turn on the snowblower, just to imagine actually needing it (and it's good for the engine anyway with all that stale gasoline).  The ship is sinking.  The band is playing.  Captain Smith (Tombo) is the last weenie standing.  I'm done (well, we know that's not true).  Peace.

23198382.gif

frowny-face-in-snow-600w.jpg

download.jpeg

giphy.gif

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ACwx said:

Accurate

3p78ur.jpg

That’s great. 

I’m just happy about a week without much precipitation in the middle of February, dire times. Looks like February 2002 was our last snowless one. This month makes it now five straight bad February’s. 

• Sad 1

It just takes one. Just like the hurricane season the produced Andrew. So far the rubber band has been holding firm. Window is starting to close.

5 hours ago, NEchestercountydude said:

Looks like February 2002 was our last snowless one. This month makes it now five straight bad February’s. 

Wow. That sucks. I’ll have to take a look at seasonal snow totals the past 5 years removing Smarch snows from the equation. 

I know it made a major impact last season up here. 

28 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Wow. That sucks. I’ll have to take a look at seasonal snow totals the past 5 years removing Smarch snows from the equation. 

I know it made a major impact last season up here. 

14-15 late jan things picked up. Feb was above normal snowfall. 15-16 Jan storm then feb had like 1 storm I believe, below normal for feb. 16-17 March saved it. 17-18 one storm in mid feb, below norm. Last year below norm. That’s just going off my weenie memory 

• Like 1

Just now, tombo82685 said:

14-15 late jan things picked up. Feb was above normal snowfall. 15-16 Jan storm then feb had like 1 storm I believe, below normal for feb. 16-17 March saved it. 17-18 one storm in mid feb, below norm. Last year below norm. That’s just going off my weenie memory 

You are clearly younger than me because I don't remember 1/2 of that. All I remember are the past 2 Marches, both with a good deal of cold and snow.

5 minutes ago, Parsley said:

You are clearly younger than me because I don't remember 1/2 of that. All I remember are the past 2 Marches, both with a good deal of cold and snow.

Yup, they had that. 14-15 started right after Nemo missed us to the east and burried sne. That was the storm that the euro was the only mode to show it hitting us really. Nyc has blizzard warnings up and 2’ of snow. Needless to say that didn’t happen. That feb was like -10 I believe temp departures. One of the coldest February’s. 15-16 was borderline strong niño. So we had pac jet on roids most of the time. We got the blizzard in Jan. Then pulled another system I believe in mid feb. could be another later in February or early March that is escaping my memory. I don’t remember to much about 16/17 except March carried the load again. 17/18 we had an above norm snowy dec and it was darn cold. Christmas through New Years had like 6-7 straight days with highs below freezing. We had another snow event first week of Jan that really nailed coastal sections, not much back here. Then winter went on vacation till March. We had one snow in feb. that feb was one of warmest on record. Temps hit 80 almost. Ssw occurred that month and then March went to town 

Last year it was nov storm. Then we had some smaller events in Jan, nothing over 4” in philly for one single storm. The storm that gave DC a foot it Wilmington area and south jersey through southern de decent. Feb favored nw of the city as it was a -pna/se ridge combo again. We had a big time cold shot last day of Jan into start of feb. that’s where I got to -6 with 5” on the ground. That feb finished below norm. Then March last year went to town nw of the city specifically. Had 14-18” of snow in 3 days 

• Like 1