*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Rainshadow

Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Run Of The Mill Weather Discussion

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

PHL temperatures over the past year. Torchy, particularly the past 2 months. Note temps in C, 1C=1.8F

phl_1yr.gif

Amazing, my two most hated times of the year (weather wise) perfectly marked on that middle graph, in blue. 

Smarch and the dark doldrums of Novembore. 

• Like 1

old school man cold for Utqiagvik (Barrow), could be the coldest start to FEB since 1984, quite a change of pace from the recent +20 monthly departures during winter, for year 2019 was over 10 degrees warmer than the long tern annual mean - remarkable

1891057621_barrowfeb2020.png.d038e89547812716914c2ca97dc9b986.png

15 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

old school man cold for Utqiagvik (Barrow), could be the coldest start to FEB since 1984, quite a change of pace from the recent +20 monthly departures during winter, for year 2019 was over 10 degrees warmer than the long tern annual mean - remarkable

Last year at Barrow - yes, remarkable

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/temperature/global_temp_accum.shtml

Barrow_1yr.gif

Absolutely beautiful morning out there. Nice sunrise, biting wind, temps dropping. Life is good even if it’s for 2 days

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 7:49 PM, snowlurker said:

Guess what my wife saw in our front yard? Tulips emerging! 

Ours are coming up too and they don't get much afternoon sun.

29 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Absolutely beautiful morning out there. Nice sunrise, biting wind, temps dropping. Life is good even if it’s for 2 days

On the plus side, we got mention again (lol groundhog, probably Gus):

https://www.inquirer.com/weather/snow-philadelphia-weather-warm-record-groundhog-20200213.html

11 hours ago, Parsley said:

Amazing, my two most hated times of the year (weather wise) perfectly marked on that middle graph, in blue. 

Smarch and the dark doldrums of Novembore. 

So true.  Late March into most of April and Nov I cant stand. 

Some flurries this morning.  I think with those we had some sort of precip 13 out of the first 14 days now.  It's been pretty April like this month.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

So true.  Late March into most of April and Nov I cant stand. 

Some flurries this morning.  I think with those we had some sort of precip 13 out of the first 14 days now.  It's been pretty April like this month.

Though Aprils have been better of late.  I can't stand the weather in December.  It snows less than people think and when it is not snowing it is almost always cloudy and those near 430 pm sunsets....

• Like 2

March hands down then June through August to round off my months I hate. I’ll take sept through feb as months I love 

23 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Though Aprils have been better of late.  I can't stand the weather in December.  It snows less than people think and when it is not snowing it is almost always cloudy and those near 430 pm sunsets....

While the festive December mood ordinarily dulls the blahs associated with the lack of sun, this season has had so little sun it seems. I truly cannot wait for the huge amount of evening sunlight that we'll accumulate in the next 30 days.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this year I'd take abundant sunshine over any late season snow storm (snow weenies gasp).

• Like 1

Oct thru March rocks and I'll throw in only low humidity 70 degrees day April thru September for golfing days :). The rest sucks, IMO.

Carry on :)

• Like 3

I feel for those of you who don’t enjoy the weather year round at our location. We are in a good spot for the full range. Sure I hate a cold March and a dark, boring November but if they don’t turn out that bad I’m happy year round just about. 

17 minutes ago, snowlurker said:

While the festive December mood ordinarily dulls the blahs associated with the lack of sun, this season has had so little sun it seems. I truly cannot wait for the huge amount of evening sunlight that we'll accumulate in the next 30 days.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this year I'd take abundant sunshine over any late season snow storm (snow weenies gasp).

Our daughter is in Australia and they don't have that distraction during June.  That would be worse.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parsley said:

I feel for those of you who don’t enjoy the weather year round at our location. We are in a good spot for the full range. Sure I hate a cold March and a dark, boring November but if they don’t turn out that bad I’m happy year round just about. 

The summers are getting uglier.  It is a reason when discussing about if we do move, where, the first words out of my mouth are not south.

11 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

The summers are getting uglier.  It is a reason when discussing about if we do move, where, the first words out of my mouth are not south.

Thatta boy

My goal is within next 5 years to be out of here. I'm looking either cortland NY area or somewhere between jamestown and buffalo

9 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

My goal is within next 5 years to be out of here. I'm looking either cortland NY area or somewhere between jamestown and buffalo

3 more years of kid's college left on my end then it's wagon's north or even west to Colorado

Yeah, seems like a fair amount of people here have lived in this area for a good portion of their life. I could see why you’d want to go elsewhere and I recommend it. Obviously, I’m a huge advocate of upstate NY. If you love summers with barely any temps. over 90 and then a solid 5-6 months of true winter you got it. And you aren’t far from Philly.

People are nicer people there too ;)

• Like 1

Usually its copious amounts of snow that make people flee the area for greener pastures.  Nope...not for the snow weenies of PhillyWx.  Like a Goose flies south instinctively in the winter, snow weenies flock north for deeper snow packs.  Then once you arrive in bumblesticks NY, you'll miss a slow crawling stacked nor'easter that dumps 35" in your old stomping grounds.  You'll ask Heisi to crash on his couch to chase the storm you'd be missing.  This lack of snow is going to alter the population count of greater Philly

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

Usually its copious amounts of snow that make people flee the area for greener pastures.  Nope...not for the snow weenies of PhillyWx.  Like a Goose flies south instinctively in the winter, snow weenies flock north for deeper snow packs.  Then once you arrive in bumblesticks NY, you'll miss a slow crawling stacked nor'easter that dumps 35" in your old stomping grounds.  You'll ask Heisi to crash on his couch to chase the storm you'd be missing.  This lack of snow is going to alter the population count of greater Philly

Lol. No way. If you are getting 100”+ of snow in upstate NY you don’t cry over a missed SECS or MECS and getting those in ONE of those in a winter is a crapshoot. 

Tombo sleeping on Heisi couch would be awesome though. 😂 

• Like 1

I like hot summers but then again maybe it's nostalgia.  If anything, I'd like the seasons to be a bit more pronounced.  Something like SLC Utah where it's guaranteed hot in the summer, guaranteed to get snow in the winter, and otherwise generally sunny. 

• Like 2

Vermont,  Ogden Valley Utah, interior BC, Banff AB, my picks for retirement or closer if possible.

• Like 1