*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow5.8

GFS Barney IV, The Revenge Of The Dinosaur. The Verification Is In.

Details at 11. 

It is interesting that the thickness forecasts are increasing, but the predicted lowest temperatures are decreasing, all about where the cold air is.  We will see....

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

@cbelke why do you think @Rainshadow is so reluctant to do these Barney readings? Yet in summer he is right on top of every 90 degree the gfs has?

I think we can "Fig"ure out why without a problem. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cbelke said:

I think we can "Fig"ure out why without a problem. 

I see what you did there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

I liked the episode about never talking to strangers better.

Animated GIF

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbelke said:

After hearing that song...

barney headshot.gif

Our daughter was Barney age.  I lived thru it.  At least our son was Teletubbys, that was like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

A better job by the GFS, much better than the Teletubby from the first week. 

Rationalizing 101:  I didn't follow the angle of the cold as closely with this one as we had wintry weather threats ongoing before.  It does help to have not only the correct angle of the cold (maps above), but also have the thermal trof come thru at night as it did with this one.

I Can't Help Finding Fault With GFS Cold 101:  The other model tendency I want to point, it took nearly 48 hours for the GFS to flush out the extremely low thicknesses forecast by this model.  Granted the cold had to be more aloft than below 850mb as somehow its predicted lowest mins were too high.  This is why once the GFS looks like it is going against the grain in the medium range to la la land times, its best to give it two days to see if that pattern is still there.  If you want to see a cold GFS run, it looks like the 18z run was designed especially for you. 

1.JPG.8c778f98dcdaa3bc5c422dc0962a233b.JPG