*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
susqushawn

11/12 Snow Sightings, 11/13-11/14 Barney II Cold OBS.

When I was out and about before 10 AM yesterday Nov 12th, it appeared to be rain on my windshield. However, later n the morning n my home office, I may have seen some light snow out my window. As I was busy with a project at the time, I do not trust my observation. 😉

Low of 19.7 this morning, Wednesday Nov 13th. 

• Like 1

Philly won't break the earliest 32F or below day ever for a max temp today.  Temp just nudged up to 1C, so that is either 33F (most likely) or 34F.

23 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

meanwhile down around richmond they are getting 1" per hr rates

Hey, how cold were you this morning (Wednesday)? Just curious. I didn’t get lower than 21. 

13 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Local record lows the past 2 days:

11/12

Mount Pocono - 13, old record 15 (1976)

Trenton - 23, old record 24 (2017, 2001, 1926)

Reading - 22, ties record (1973)

Philadelphia - 26, ties record (1976)

11/13

Allentown - 18, ties record (1996)

Reading - 19, old record 21 (1976)

Philadelphia - 23, old record 24 (1996)

11/13 update

Mount Pocono - 12, ties record (1911)

Record low max list for today:

Philadelphia - 35, ties record (1911)

Allentown - 35, old record 36 (1995)

Pomona - 37, old record 39 (1968)

Trenton - 35, old record 36 (1986) 

Mount Pocono - 23, old record 26 (1942/1934)

A very impressive November cold outbreak!

Today's high of just 32.0 exactly makes this the 2nd earliest sub freezing day in the Chester County PA 126 years of local records dating back to 1894.

The previous earliest sub 32 day was the 30 degree high back on November 11. 1987. Additionally this morning's low of 19.1 broke the old elevation record (1983-Present) of 20.0 set in 1996. This also marked our 3rd record low in the last 5 days. Looking ahead another cold shot this weekend and no real warmups to above normal that may last through the end of November. We have a good chance to record our 1st below normal month since last November 2018. That month we ended up averaging out at 3.1 degrees below normal - through today we are at 3.8 degrees below normal.

7 hours ago, Parsley said:

Hey, how cold were you this morning (Wednesday)? Just curious. I didn’t get lower than 21. 

21 as well. I don’t drop that well when there is a wind. My spot is a radiation area 

13 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Local record lows the past 2 days:

11/12

Mount Pocono - 13, old record 15 (1976)

Trenton - 23, old record 24 (2017, 2001, 1926)

Reading - 22, ties record (1973)

Philadelphia - 26, ties record (1976)

11/13

Allentown - 18, ties record (1996)

Reading - 19, old record 21 (1976)

Philadelphia - 23, old record 24 (1996)

I'm surprised that Wilmington didn't break a record. I think they hit 20.

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

21 as well. I don’t drop that well when there is a wind. My spot is a radiation area 

Gotcha. Thanks. Still trying to figure out my spot. Definitely doesn’t seem to get as cold as my old location which was at a lower, more protected spot. 

1 hour ago, snowlurker said:

I'm surprised that Wilmington didn't break a record. I think they hit 20.

The 11/13 record is 18F in 1911.  Tomorrow's record is 20F.

2.JPG.4283153f3e199bf6edc27a04e7a79abc.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Parsley said:

Gotcha. Thanks. Still trying to figure out my spot. Definitely doesn’t seem to get as cold as my old location which was at a lower, more protected spot. 

Your probably like me, we are only 40' difference from each other. Probably radiate well but not during CAA

20 minutes ago, Chubbs said:

Coldest night so far - 20.0 digital, 17 analog

That's a big difference between thermometers. I don't have an analog but my 3 digital readings are almost always within 1 degree of each other. Example right now main unit 22.7. Digital 1 - 23.0 and Digital 3 - 22.3

Are they sited near each other?....is one lower? - on morning's like today it makes a difference -  for comparison down at Marsh Creek 1.5 miles south of me at lake level 459 ft asl - 200 feet below me they are at 18.1.

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Your probably like me, we are only 40' difference from each other. Probably radiate well but not during CAA

19 this morning. 

9 minutes ago, chescopawxman said:

That's a big difference between thermometers. I don't have an analog but my 3 digital readings are almost always within 1 degree of each other. Example right now main unit 22.7. Digital 1 - 23.0 and Digital 3 - 22.3

Are they sited near each other?....is one lower? - on morning's like today it makes a difference -  for comparison down at Marsh Creek 1.5 miles south of me at lake level 459 ft asl - 200 feet below me they are at 18.1.

They are right on top of each other, Analog 6" lower, so difference is mainly due to instrument. On a still night like last night, my lower section which is 20+ feet lower could be 5-10F colder.

• Like 1

Too much cirrus last night.  Mins overall similar to previous morning in spite of a more ideal radiational cooling set-up (no wind).

1114.JPG.05565347acecda7ef24a5d0efaa93881.JPG

Unable to sneak into the 10's club here in NW Chesco.    19.8 yesterday morning and 20.7 this morning.   33.0 for a high yesterday.   Beautiful weather indeed....   

BTW, nice to see the 1911 records showing up.    That 1911/12 winter was a classic.    Wall to wall blue for November to March.

• Like 2