On 2/28/2016 at 0:14 PM, tombo82685 said:

here it be, mounted it today

12596264_774295055141_1271403901_n.jpg?o

No pics, but another family of screech owls fledged from our yard this week.  They'e been very vocal at dusk.  I think I counted 2 parents + 3 little ones.  This is a good time of year to hear them.

1 hour ago, jec6 said:

No pics, but another family of screech owls fledged from our yard this week.  They'e been very vocal at dusk.  I think I counted 2 parents + 3 little ones.  This is a good time of year to hear them.

I haven't had one in there lol. I do get Starlings in it every spring though. 

Walking around Peddlers Village yesterday afternoon and admiring the flowers they have there. Saw these guys floating around.

20170812_150557.jpg

20170812_150548.jpg

• Like 2

According to the Interwebs, that's the caterpillar or larval form of the White-marked Tussock Moth. 

A good description is in this link: https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=White-Marked-Tussock-Moth  as well as many other web sites.

Do note that this critter has chemical defenses that may cause skin irritation or itching, particularly in little kids. 

The adult moth is one of these:

Image result for white marked tussock moth

Yeah that's definitely it. Thanks for finding this we had no idea what it was. That said I did terminate it, I figured it was people friendly much less kid friendly. 

Cool mantid shots.

Not a pic, but if you are all interested in hummingbirds, this webcam from West Texas is mesmerizing.  We're at the height of the Hummingbird migration and this house has a huge feeder set up (about 20 of the feeders seen on the camera) with a constant interaction of multiple hummingbird species.  You'll also see an occasional Acorn Woodpecker stop by for a drink.   The embedded video below will be the live feed. 

Hummers left my area probably a good 3 weeks ago at least on there migration south

same, hummers be gone!

weird, my feeders have not had a lot of activity last few weeks.

peckers,  cardinals, finches have abandoned me. 

guess they will be back once ground freezes and we get snow but  

Driving down route 1 in Upper Darby by Llanarch Country Club, when all of a sudden a YUUUGE Bald Eagle flies overhead just above power line height. Awesome sight to see, even had a snack in his talons. 

Managed to grab this quick pick via cell. Doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. IMG_7180.PNG.ca0af71c6e0a1c408970617da9924373.PNG

IMG_7179.PNG

47 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Driving down route 1 in Upper Darby by Llanarch Country Club, when all of a sudden a YUUUGE Bald Eagle flies overhead just above power line height. Awesome sight to see, even had a snack in his talons. 

Managed to grab this quick pick via cell. Doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. 

You positive it was a bald eagle and not a turkey volture?

Yep, its an adult Bald Eagle, you can see the fully white tail pretty well in the first pic.  

If you ever want an awesome Bald Eagle show, go to Conowingo Dam around Thanksgiving.  The migrating eagles hang out at the base of the dam and pick off the shad that have gone over and get knocked out.  It is pretty routine to see 50+ on the trees at the parking lot, the rocks in the river and fighting over the fish.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

You positive it was a bald eagle and not a turkey volture?

Absolutely 100% bald eagle. 

Not it the first time I've seen one in delco. Seen (either same ones, or different ones) by upland playing softball, and by Paxon Hollow CC. White tail is very distinct, as well as size. Turkey vultures have those red necks and distinct beaks. Just the first time I've seen one that close to Drexel Hill. 

Some people say there is a pair that nest by Springton Resovoir.