*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
colonel_kurtz

Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

1 hour ago, Harbourton said:

They must have a mutation in NY state. Accounts for more than half of the infections in the US. 70,000 in US and 37,200 in NY state. Computer model predicted peak in NJ June 1 with 140,000 infected. I think that is a lowball. 2500 reported in NJ today.

140K in NJ?  Active cases?

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

Its only the beginning too.

I hope everything being shut down starts slowing this acceleration next week.

19 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

140K in NJ?  Active cases?

No the total. Not sure of the reinfection rate or the people who are deemed cured.

2 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I hope everything being shut down starts slowing this acceleration next week.

I'm a realist. It won't slow down for a few weeks. People are not taking it seriously enough. 

The company I work for is a global reseller of conferencing products, like Cisco Webex, Adobe Connect, Microsoft Teams, and a few others. The customers I am working with are planning for isolation times of weeks and months, and planning all the way till July. We saw a 620% increase, yes, 620%,  in our products and network usage over the past 7 days. Its unbelievable the panic and urgency that is hitting. There are people who are taking it seriously and others who are shrugging their shoulders at it and saying "whatever".

Its a depressing time, but we will get through it. We always do. Wash your hands, don't rub your eyes, don't pick your nose, and keep away from people as much as possible.  I try and follow these rules no matter what. 😁

Most importantly, laugh. It helps.

Stay safe!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I wonder how long before they join all the states around them.

Definitely a day-to-day fluid situation

https://www.whiteclaycreek.com/golf/

I was looking at White Clay Creek, here's their virus stipulations, one of these we talked about was spreading out tee times & they're going with 20 min. spreads. Surprised they haven't gone to walking only.

White Clay Creek Country Club
Members and Guests

Please read below the different procedures that we have put in place, to help with COVID-19,
and a few details about the course.

1.  We want all golfers to tee off in 20 minute intervals

2.  Please keep at least 6’-8’ from each other, to assist with social distancing

3.  We are cart path only for all 18 holes

4.  There are no rakes in the bunkers

5.  There are no ball washers on the course

6.  Credit card transactions only

7.  Please leave the flag sticks in the cups on both the main putting green, and the course.

8.  Hole # 10 & 11 will be playing as a par 3. Please read the signs located at each hole, and proceed forward to our temporary tee box.

9.  We have no food and beverage options, except for what we have in the fridge located in the golf shop.

10.  The restrooms located on the course are not in operation, and closed

11.  Pace of play should be maintained at 4.5 hours for 18 holes. Do not hold up the course for any reason. Be respectful of everyone, and courteous of your playing partners.

12.  We will not be offering any kind of bag service

13.  Our practice facility will remain closed, except our putting green

• Like 1

So many flowering trees just bursting.  Very pretty out there.  The past 2 years we put in 7 kinds of flowering trees. I'm looking forward to a few years from now when they are larger and all flowering.   

• Like 1

Finally get a pretty awesome March and Covid hits... Mother Nature is a real B...ch sometimes. Stay safe everyone!! 

i believe Loch Nairn is doing the whole 20 min tee time/1 per cart rule as well, pay over the phone. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

Finally get a pretty awesome March and Covid hits... Mother Nature is a real B...ch sometimes. Stay safe everyone!! 

i believe Loch Nairn is doing the whole 20 min tee time/1 per cart rule as well, pay over the phone. 

So you could have a foursome, just everyone takes their own cart?

23 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

Looks like Lock Nairn screwed up. Played there 2 weeks ago - saw the news about the Masters as I walked into the tee shop - seems like an eternity

http://ireader.olivesoftware.com/Olive/iReader/PhiladelphiaInquirer/SharedArticle.ashx?document=PHQP\2020\03\28&article=Ar00702

1 hour ago, irishbri74 said:

Yes. Or if you walk. 

I guess it is moot at this point anyway.  The whole handling of this pandemic just feels like (not that you would complain in this example) a busted winter storm (let's say January 2000) in which you are updating every hour and never getting ahead of the curve.  Now rumors about quarantining NY/NJ/CT (don't even know what that means), the virus is everywhere. 

Too much rain on the weekends!

My wife informed me with a sigh that we were the last ones in the neighborhood to mow our 2.2 acre lawn, but now I have to wait until Monday for this bog to dry out.

13 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Well the governor of NJ specifically said today at his press conference that golf courses are going to remain closed.

Yup. I think that will be the same here in PA eventually. All the schools are closed indefinitely until further notice. 

Delaware has ordered all out of state visitors quarantined for 14 days so you can scratch those open courses off the list. Clubs will be collecting dust for another month.

8 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Yup. I think that will be the same here in PA eventually. All the schools are closed indefinitely until further notice. 

I am not an unbiased person.  But I really think you could keep social distancing guidelines if you keep a two person golfer limit per tee time (and space them out by 10 minutes).  Probably what will happen is that some courses will cheat and then they become foursomes and there that goes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Delaware has ordered all out of state visitors quarantined for 14 days so you can scratch those open courses off the list. Clubs will be collecting dust for another month.

The October outing could be in trouble.

Well with all the course closed I guess the next best thing is to be able to work on a nice course. Roxiticus Golf Club in Mendham, NJ, we'll be cleaning out 78 bunkers over the next week. Excellent course in a beautiful area up in Somerset County.

20200402_085721.jpg.bf7e8f0b1ff67ae40007d3fe75c909c1.jpg

20200402_120525.jpg.0bec9bd013ea499d3380dd90e1e79d17.jpg

20200402_140419.jpg.c9e74bf47e90816937492a34274b7db8.jpg

20200402_142832.jpg.3ff9460cfeaac7bc2d22f1db52050ce9.jpg