*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
colonel_kurtz

Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

5 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Guns shops have been reopened with restrictions. Today there was a push from the legislature to reopen the liquor stores.

Golf, walking only, no flags, no rakes & raised cups is something I believe should be considered. Doctors have said walking & sunlight are very good for the immune system.

Only issue is, you golf with a group of people unless you do one person at a time. Plus, you come in contact with a good amount of other people even before you golf. 

6 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Only issue is, you golf with a group of people unless you do one person at a time. Plus, you come in contact with a good amount of other people even before you golf. 

All concerns should be addressed, if you can book & pay online you could elimate the pro shop altogether. Ensure the tee times are spaced properly so groups aren't congregating on tees. Close the putting greens & ranges. Certainly leave it too the experts but if we don't turn into metro NYC over the next week hopefully the decision makers will revisit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harbourton said:

You can get more "social distancing" for walkers than in the grocery market. Just saying. What's the difference between taking a walk in the park and playing round on the course.

Trust me there is no social distancing in supermarkets unless customers and their cell phones pull a GFS prediction: thinking 6 inches is 6 feet.

9 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

All concerns should be addressed, if you can book & pay online you could elimate the pro shop altogether. Ensure the tee times are spaced properly so groups aren't congregating on tees. Close the putting greens & ranges. Certainly leave it too the experts but if we don't turn into metro NYC over the next week hopefully the decision makers will revisit.

I know this is not the flu, but they used to put patients out in the sun with the Spanish Flu. There is so much misinformation out there, I thought Vitamin D helps. 😨

9 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

I give up, couldn’t remove that emoticon. Yeah and if tee times were spaced 15 minutes or 20 minutes apart, one would think you wouldn’t get bunched up. Other things walking only, no rakes (heck half the people don’t rake anyway), raise the cup, etc. Way better than any grocery store.

28 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Then, how do you arrange tee times properly without a ranger or caddie master there? How do stop free loaders from just coming aboard? If you have a caddiemaster or ranger there to check he would be in contact with everyone. So if someone gives it to him, he gives it to every other person. 

29 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Trust me there is no social distancing in supermarkets unless customers and their cell phones pull a GFS prediction: thinking 6 inches is 6 feet.

Yea I noticed that too. You can't eliminate super markets, need them. You don't need golf to survive

Last Friday, the day that was super nice we had a big problem with free loaders. Ultimately was one of the factors why we shut golf down. Without someone there governing it, everyone just comes out even if they aren't a member. 

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Then, how do you arrange tee times properly without a ranger or caddie master there? How do stop free loaders from just coming aboard? If you have a caddiemaster or ranger there to check he would be in contact with everyone. So if someone gives it to him, he gives it to every other person. 

Fair point, other than a starter in a hazmat outfit. I certainly don't need golf to survive so hopefully this runs it's course sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea I noticed that too. You can't eliminate super markets, need them. You don't need golf to survive

True.  I tell I am surprised at the age of people diagnosed in our county. We have a nursing home epicenter 😞 in our township, nearly all cases as of today is associated with it in Mount Laurel. Some of them elsewhere in the county don’t sound too good.

Common Sense.jpg

Everyone on this site is excluded from the above comment. 😁

12 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

It is extremely easy to golf and stay 6 feet from your playing partners.  You can leave a glove on to remove the ball from the hole.  It's no different than going to a state park and walking a trail w/others.  

At a public course you cannot do this, but a private club the members can police themselves as far as when to tee off etc. or you have  one employee from the club doing tee times.  He doesn't need to be closer than 6ft to anyone to do this either.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

It is true.

I agree. People just don't get it. 

54 minutes ago, cbelke said:

I agree. People just don't get it. 

"Some" people, for sure. Again, I'll use my neighborhood as an example. I can find a few people on facebook preaching "social distancing" and then they are outside their house having a BBQ with several other families on the block? Like just because they are your neighbor it's less of a risk? Meanwhile, some other neighbors I literally haven't seen for weeks, even on nice days (most obviously are working from home during the day). 

This is why a prefer a remote, open place to get some fresh air and exercise when given the chance. I'm not a golfer so many of you know better than I just how much (or how avoidable) interaction occurs/can be when playing 18 holes. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Parsley said:

"Some" people, for sure. Again, I'll use my neighborhood as an example. I can find a few people on facebook preaching "social distancing" and then they are outside their house having a BBQ with several other families on the block? Like just because they are your neighbor it's less of a risk? Meanwhile, some other neighbors I literally haven't seen for weeks, even on nice days (most obviously are working from home during the day). 

This is why a prefer a remote, open place to get some fresh air and exercise when given the chance. I'm not a golfer so many of you know better than I just how much (or how avoidable) interaction occurs/can be when playing 18 holes. 

Correct. I work from home and am typically confined to my home office, so this isn't much of a change for me, other than not going out for breakfast or getting coffee, or running an errand at a store. HOWEVER, for my wife who is a school teacher, this is a major change, but she is getting used to it. My one neighbor is a contractor and he is still going to work. Not sure why at this point, but if they are keeping construction supply warehouses open, then I guess he can somehow justify it? Not sure how all this is working. 

I agree, I prefer the remote open spaces as well. Even golfing you are in close enough contact unless each person in a foursome gets their own cart, etc. 

56 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Correct. I work from home and am typically confined to my home office, so this isn't much of a change for me, other than not going out for breakfast or getting coffee, or running an errand at a store. HOWEVER, for my wife who is a school teacher, this is a major change, but she is getting used to it. My one neighbor is a contractor and he is still going to work. Not sure why at this point, but if they are keeping construction supply warehouses open, then I guess he can somehow justify it? Not sure how all this is working. 

I agree, I prefer the remote open spaces as well. Even golfing you are in close enough contact unless each person in a foursome gets their own cart, etc. 

They completely shut down building of any kind in our new development. No subcontractors rolling though any more and new homes in progress boarded up. I feel so bad for people whose new homes are 2/3 done. They are literally screwed with regards to settlement dates and then who knows on the other end with regards to moving and selling of their current homes. Sucks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbelke said:

I'm not sure if it is just NJ, but I know a few friends of mine who are different types of contractors,  and they were able to get waivers to work at their job sites for a certain period of time.  I'm not sure if it is like that everywhere though.  The local driving range here is open.  They shut down the shop, and you can get balls from the machine outside.  They closed off every few stalls to distance people.  I'm not sure how they are open though and considered essential business?   

4 or 5 vehicles scattered about this am near our local course

3 hours ago, Parsley said:

Yea, like last saturday I went for a nice 4.5 mile walk. Social distance doesn't mean lock yourself away from everyone. Can still enjoy the outdoors

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baseball0618 said:

It is extremely easy to golf and stay 6 feet from your playing partners.  You can leave a glove on to remove the ball from the hole.  It's no different than going to a state park and walking a trail w/others.  

At a public course you cannot do this, but a private club the members can police themselves as far as when to tee off etc. or you have  one employee from the club doing tee times.  He doesn't need to be closer than 6ft to anyone to do this either.  

Yea, I mean thats a way you could possibly do it.

• Like 1

Spring running 3+ weeks ahead of normal this year

2020-03-26 NPN Visualization Tool.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cbelke said:

Given that the number of cases (I know there are testing caveats) exploded by 50% in PA and 57% (not a small number) in NJ from yesterday, nothing is coming down fast. These are maybe expected by some, but shocking numbers to me.

36 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Given that the number of cases (I know there are testing caveats) exploded by 50% in PA and 57% (not a small number) in NJ from yesterday, nothing is coming down fast. These are maybe expected by some, but shocking numbers to me.

Its only the beginning too.

They must have a mutation in NY state. Accounts for more than half of the infections in the US. 70,000 in US and 37,200 in NY state. Computer model predicted peak in NJ June 1 with 140,000 infected. I think that is a lowball. 2500 reported in NJ today.