*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
colonel_kurtz

Garden/Golf/Lawn Thread

Planted Brussels sprouts and broccoli outside this weekend. 

Planted a weeping cherry, thundercloud plum and a yellow butterfly magnolia yesterday.  Def a few spots that can use a mow, but my mower is broken. Boo

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Planted Brussels sprouts and broccoli outside this weekend. 

I see Brussel sprouts on the plant I planted last year.  Do you think they are good?

Not going to be able to get our mower tuned up, so I hope it will work "as is".

All golf courses closed ufn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I see Brussel sprouts on the plant I planted last year.  Do you think they are good?

no clue honestly if they are or arent

11 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

You'll probably get sprouts. They should produce flower and seed even in the 2nd yr. Frost is also supposed to enhance their flavor.

14 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I wonder what would happen if I tried to sneak on to a course?  I have Neshanic Valley about 4 minutes from my house.  I want to take my pull cart out and play a few holes. 

2 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

I wonder what would happen if I tried to sneak on to a course?  I have Neshanic Valley about 4 minutes from my house.  I want to take my pull cart out and play a few holes. 

We pulled all the flags and everything and reporting anyone that does show up. We are still working but golf is closed 

Just now, tombo82685 said:

We pulled all the flags and everything and reporting anyone that does show up. We are still working but golf is closed 

I figured that would be the case.  I was hoping the courses could stay open, but only allow walkers and no carts.  Hopefully in a few weeks courses can open again. 

27 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

I noticed several cars parked near a closed course near my house a few days ago. There location was suspicious as there really is no other reason to park in the general area (nothing around) pretty sure it was a group of guys who just hopped on the course for a free play or some practice shots.

This social distancing thing is tough. They closed state parks where you have the most miles of trails and open space causing people to congregate in small local parks or their neighborhoods which in my opinion causes more "interaction". I get closing the bathrooms/eating areas down at state parks but policing parking areas just for access to trails sucks. I'd much rather be out among 100's of acres with my kids rather than a small local park with a packed trail and kids congregating on the playground. We already told them no playgrounds, just hiking, biking or scootering as a family.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

I noticed several cars parked near a closed course near my house a few days ago. There location was suspicious as there really is no other reason to park in the general area (nothing around) pretty sure it was a group of guys who just hopped on the course for a free play or some practice shots.

This social distancing thing is tough. They closed state parks where you have the most miles of trails and open space causing people to congregate in small local parks or their neighborhoods which in my opinion causes more "interaction". I get closing the bathrooms/eating areas down at state parks but policing parking areas just for access to trails sucks. I'd much rather be out among 100's of acres with my kids rather than a small local park with a packed trail and kids congregating on the playground. We already told them no playgrounds, just hiking, biking or scootering as a family.

I think Delaware's White Clay Creek state park is open for hiking. There are lots of trails.

6 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

I figured that would be the case.  I was hoping the courses could stay open, but only allow walkers and no carts.  Hopefully in a few weeks courses can open again. 

I figure in a couple of weeks they will let walkers on.  I don't know if there is an inflection point where we can avoid both a medical and economic disaster. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I figure in a couple of weeks they will let walkers on.  I don't know if there is an inflection point where we can avoid both a medical and economic disaster. 

Sucks. People just trying to enjoy a nice day and all stuck in the same (open) spots. I bet this park normally has 4-5 cars on a day like today. I count over 20 currently. Last thing the governor wants. 

52D2223D-DC8E-4212-A715-C2583977483C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

The PA Golf Association has already petitioned the Governor to reopen courses based on the stipulations of walking only, no rakes, no flags & raised cups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qtown Snow said:

yard is back to soggy state. welcome wet spring. 

3774A306-55CB-4850-92EE-DC645F409910.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Parsley said:

3774A306-55CB-4850-92EE-DC645F409910.jpeg

Plant rice.

14 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

The PA Golf Association has already petitioned the Governor to reopen courses based on the stipulations of walking only, no rakes, no flags & raised cups.

That is about as likely as me driving the ball 300 yards.

51 minutes ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Oh c'mon. I've seen you crush that ball before. :smiley-gen053:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

Oh c'mon. I've seen you crush that ball before. :smiley-gen053:

I have crushed tees, that is the extent of my crush jobs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

2 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I hope the Golf Association included the importance of receiving timely TACT long-range outlooks in their petition to the governor

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 9:24 AM, tombo82685 said:

We are in the same boat however since our club is member owned we cannot be kept from walking the course and playing.   It's a we are closed/but situation.  I have not played since we shutdown, but if it lasts too long I live 1 mile for the entrance to my club and I will be playing.  

• Like 1

You can get more "social distancing" for walkers than in the grocery market. Just saying. What's the difference between taking a walk in the park and playing round on the course.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harbourton said:

You can get more "social distancing" for walkers than in the grocery market. Just saying. What's the difference between taking a walk in the park and playing round on the course.

Yeah, makes no sense. Hopefully golfing and state parks can resume some activities at some point in April. Although I believe most parks are closed til the end of April. I can see keeping facilities closed but allow people to park in lots and use trails (or in golfers cases, courses). At the local, overcrowded park yesterday I was waiting for enforcement to swing by and tell us to disperse. Luckily, it hasn't gotten to that point yet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harbourton said:

Guns shops have been reopened with restrictions. Today there was a push from the legislature to reopen the liquor stores.

Golf, walking only, no flags, no rakes & raised cups is something I believe should be considered. Doctors have said walking & sunlight are very good for the immune system.

3 hours ago, Parsley said:

Yeah, makes no sense. Hopefully golfing and state parks can resume some activities at some point in April. Although I believe most parks are closed til the end of April. I can see keeping facilities closed but allow people to park in lots and use trails (or in golfers cases, courses). At the local, overcrowded park yesterday I was waiting for enforcement to swing by and tell us to disperse. Luckily, it hasn't gotten to that point yet. 

State parks I don't get. Golfing I do.