*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

The Work Week (and Saturday?) Of 6/24, Summer Arrives

16 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Would rather have the every day rain than what we are staring down next week low to mid 90s, no thanks.

If we can keep it to the low-90s, I'd take that if it meant a week without precipitation.

Not impressive chances for storms. More hit or miss. That sound about right?

7 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Not impressive chances for storms. More hit or miss. That sound about right?

Tonight?  Timing not great. 

6 hours ago, greg ralls said:

If we can keep it to the low-90s, I'd take that if it meant a week without precipitation.

I’d take rain everyday during the week and nice weekend if it meant no 90s

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Tonight?  Timing not great. 

Yes, tonight/ wee hours of the morning. 

Didn't think it would be anything to worry about. Just wanted the lawn to dry out. 

10 hours ago, cbelke said:

Yes, tonight/ wee hours of the morning. 

Didn't think it would be anything to worry about. Just wanted the lawn to dry out. 

Places toward NYC ended up getting pretty wet, but I traced in Mount Laurel. Now the run at and then of 90s can soon begin. Saturday which once was salvageable by the OP EC looks like a 90s goner. It could also be the next chance for precip.  Thursday CFP lamer than today's. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Places toward NYC ended up getting pretty wet, but I traced in Mount Laurel. Now the run at and then of 90s can soon begin. Saturday which once was salvageable by the OP EC looks like a 90s goner. It could also be the next chance for precip.  Thursday CFP lamer than today's. 

Bummer 90's for awhile huh?

.21" this morning. 

13 hours ago, cbelke said:

Bummer 90's for awhile huh?

.21" this morning. 

Friday, Saturday look like the most widespread days. Tomorrow, Thursday look like some 90s as if an 88 or 89 is so much better. Sunday if the Euro is right gets nice, if not then Monday.  This is a can kick if we lose Sunday.

Well it remains the same from now thru Saturday with either threatening 90s or in the 90s with the most widespread Friday & Saturday. EC/GGEM/UK would salvage Sunday GFS, then ICON slower. I am unobjectively going with the former and to find something to feed by corroborative bias, I will say this FV3 GFS is too progressive (in this case backdooring need not apply). ICON has a slow bias recently, they gagged on yesterday, so why not Sunday too?

In our warmer climate, averages are now in the high 80's for most of the next two months, so 90's are likely the rule rather than the exception.      Only question is which end of the 90's will we see the most of?    This 3 days of 90+ = heat wave the media feasts on is absolutely ludicrous.  

7 minutes ago, iceman56 said:

In our warmer climate, averages are now in the high 80's for most of the next two months, so 90's are likely the rule rather than the exception.      Only question is which end of the 90's will we see the most of?    This 3 days of 90+ = heat wave the media feasts on is absolutely ludicrous.  

Philadelphia averages 80 & above from 6/4 thru 9/12 & 85 & above from 6/22 thru 8/23. Highest average is 87 degrees from 7/3 thru 8/5.

yes the 3 day 90 heat wave thing during summer has been a joke for many years

• Like 2

6 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Philadelphia averages 80 & above from 6/4 thru 9/12 & 85 & above from 6/22 thru 8/23. Highest average is 87 degrees from 7/3 thru 8/5.

And I suspect when the 1991-2020 interval gets calculated we'll be looking at a period where the highest average is 88-89 with the 80 & 85 intervals getting longer as averages have climbed 2-3 degrees in my lifetime.    Not to say it won't trend downward again in the future, but there is no disputing the planet was warmed in the last 50 years.  

22 minutes ago, iceman56 said:

And I suspect when the 1991-2020 interval gets calculated we'll be looking at a period where the highest average is 88-89 with the 80 & 85 intervals getting longer as averages have climbed 2-3 degrees in my lifetime.    Not to say it won't trend downward again in the future, but there is no disputing the planet was warmed in the last 50 years.  

Thur 2018 into the future 1991-2020 Climo "normal" PHL is averaging (29) 90 degrees days / year. 

10 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Considering the term was unofficially named in the year 1900 and no climatological adjustment has been made since, yeah it (heat wave) has no meaning here IMO until we start talking about three consecutive 95(s) or anything, anything higher than 90.

91 IMBY yesterday. Nice outside at twilight, though.  Not yet oppressive.

Days above 90 to date: 4. 

Days above 89.5 to date: 5

• Like 1

88 locally for high yesterday & also 88 at nearby TTN, we should both reach 90 today for the first time this year. I believe official OBS at TTN go back to 1998 & today would tie 2001 for the latest 90 degree day over that short period.

87 at home, but at least the dews are tolerable (for now)

If it is any consolation, the GFS has edged closer to the faster (non 90) solutions for Sunday.  Until then it looks like a fourpeat for whoever reached 90 yesterday also.

Currently 93 w/ a dp of 66. But the dp was 72 during my lunchtime walk.  I definitely felt it.

2019 Days above 90/89.5: 5/6

Tomorrow should confirm the first 'heat wave' of the year.