*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Meteorological Summer Banter Thread

I noticed the first fireflies of the season last night.

• Like 4

Go Joe Go! 

Local & Network weather coverage is unwatchable, this nonsense has very little to do about public safety & everything to do about ratings. In fact it can be argued that warning, alert, code red, storm ranger.....fatigue can actually make the situation worse. Another sad aspect of all this sensationalism is the NWS gets lumped in with all these purveyors of fear mongering.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/media/joe-crain-sinclair-code-red/index.html

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Go Joe Go! 

Local & Network weather coverage is unwatchable, this nonsense has very little to do about public safety & everything to do about ratings. In fact it can be argued that warning, alert, code red, storm ranger.....fatigue can actually make the situation worse. Another sad aspect of all this sensationalism is the NWS gets lumped in with all these purveyors of fear mongering.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/media/joe-crain-sinclair-code-red/index.html

Sinclair Media is particularly offensive. They are the organization that sends down “must read” text to the (many) local stations they own. These pieces are biased opinion deliberately designed to masquerade as news. I’m not surprised that Mr. Crain was fired, and I admire him for speaking up. As you referenced, I deeply resent it when this kind of malarky affects things like weather (which should be treated as objective science) and smears organizations like the NWS, without which we would all be so much worse off in ways we cannot begin to imagine. Thanks for posting this.

Recently I have not been around the boards much, something I intend to change, hopefully, this summer. I do learn a lot here, and enjoying sharing my weather observations and the like. I do enjoy the banter.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Article by Tony Wood that mentions the board:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/weather-tornadoes-philadelphia-floods-thunderstorms-record-rains-spring-solstice-20190620.html

At least Tony didn't call me the head honcho. 😛

Don't worry you will always be our head honcho here

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Don't worry you will always be our head honcho here

Head GFS whiner maybe.

Coco Gauff showed amazing grit when down 5-2 after losing the first set to come back and win. 15 years old and never gave up. 

23 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Central Jersey bonito - warm water fish are early.

bonito.JPG

Nice! Where did you grab them? You catch them on epoxy’s?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishbri74 said:

Nice! Where did you grab them? You catch them on epoxy’s?

Big Jamaica - Brielle,   Caught them on Daddy Mac Albie/Bonito Jigs. Epoxy and Jigfish were also working.

• Like 1