*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Meteorological Summer Pattern Discussion, Because Tom <3 It Hot. Summer Analogs On Page 2.

5 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

In terms of the last 30ish years, man heat was close to average,  gigiheat greater than average.  We are going to shave some off these temps, but this could be the warmest summer since 2016.  All the wetness the last two summers had a hand in cutting back the man heat, but also (plus given bathwater ocean temps becoming the new normal) propped up mins slightly more than maxes.

Good stuff Tony! Takeaway from this summer will be all strong to severe storms & the multiple monsoon dumps. Heat wise it was a one hit wonder & even that was nothing on par with our epic heat waves of the past. Looks like we're settling in to a typically boring late summer pattern, without tropical influence things can get pretty mundane this time of year.

58 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Good stuff Tony! Takeaway from this summer will be all strong to severe storms & the multiple monsoon dumps. Heat wise it was a one hit wonder & even that was nothing on par with our epic heat waves of the past. Looks like we're settling in to a typically boring late summer pattern, without tropical influence things can get pretty mundane this time of year.

Yeah this definitely was the summer of pouring rains and Mount Laurel severe weather.

9 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

In terms of the last 30ish years, man heat was close to average,  gigiheat greater than average.  We are going to shave some off these temps, but this could be the warmest summer since 2016.  All the wetness the last two summers had a hand in cutting back the man heat, but also (plus given bathwater ocean temps becoming the new normal) propped up mins slightly more than maxes.

Well what I mean is, this 90-92 type heat is very MEH. All philly has to do is be sunny most of the day in july under normal circumstances and they usually sniff 90. So why is anything under 95 so remarkable. It seems like that is the new norm. So I use 95+ as heat and in that regard this summer was nto that bad IMO. It was all about the dews

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Well what I mean is, this 90-92 type heat is very MEH. All philly has to do is be sunny most of the day in july under normal circumstances and they usually sniff 90. So why is anything under 95 so remarkable. It seems like that is the new norm. So I use 95+ as heat and in that regard this summer was nto that bad IMO. It was all about the dews

I don't disagree with you.  I go out of my way to not post the words "heat wave" whenever a run of 90 or higher starts unless it looks like the mid July event (or worse).  90 is just a nice even number.   BTW the average PHL high temp for the last 30 July(s) is up to 87.7F,  that is up from the current POR normal of 87.1F.   

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, Rainshadow said:

The Euro has had it too, although not to the extent of that UKMET run.

index.gif.2daf7665505c2fe85ac90276eb642e99.gif

Welp, no tropical troubles here at the obx,  but enough wind to make swimming life threatening. 

20190827_110256.jpg

1 hour ago, Mitchnick said:

Welp, no tropical troubles here at the obx,  but enough wind to make swimming life threatening. 

20190827_110256.jpg

At least it is moving away.

15 hours ago, Mitchnick said:

20190827_110256.jpg

I left Corolla on Sunday.  On Friday and Saturday the yellow flags were up.  Before then though we were lucky with calm and very clear water.  I could actually see my feet in shoulder deep water.  I never had that in the 6 years I've been there.

4 hours ago, cg41386 said:

It’s finally cleared out in Corolla after lots of fog earlier.

Same here. Some decent low level rising fog and clouds today giving a quasi arctic sea smoke effect. Red flags may be dropped tomorrow but I guess that will depend on the  strong tides from the system off shore rather than the wind.  Not a bad week so far, but definitely a better pool week than beach week.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:44 AM, cg41386 said:

It’s finally cleared out in Corolla after lots of fog earlier.

Looks like we picked the right week to visit the obx, especially since I never buy the trip insurance. One day that will bite me, I'm sure. 

• Like 2