*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Boring Weather Discussion

On 8/24/2019 at 3:06 PM, colonel_kurtz said:

Over the past 12 months ABE is running significantly warmer relative to average than the other official Mt. Holly sites. I know there's been quite of bit of commercial development in the Lehigh Valley over the past 10 yrs. ASOS running warm? Combination of the two?

1572105235_MHDeps.png.ce5abcb9a829307c16e83f71010f4281.png

I know we spend alot of time paying attention to PNE and one could say it is an envy apple to cara cara orange comparison to compare ASOS and PWS data.  That being said, for the past year Allentown has been averaging around 1.5F warmer than nearby stations.

565565665.JPG.1795f631eb52133b11c7c4146e8ec402.JPG

BTW just going off Tom's tweet, the last time Philly had four consecutive days of less than 80F in August was 8/27-8/30/2017. 

Next in line was 6 consecutive days from 8/18-8/23/2007.

Low clouds creeping in with the onshore flow894300769_COD-GOES-East-local-New_Jersey_02.20190826.125617-overcounties-map-glm_flash-bars.gif.1570507f870d9dabb9e8240b50ab73e5.gif

but low dews from the NE might help dry things out N of PHL?  hopefully...

hrrr_Td2m_neus_5.png.823447824beb74bd81dfc852db6fafc5.pnghe NE might clear out northern portions?

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

I know we spend alot of time paying attention to PNE and one could say it is an envy apple to cara cara orange comparison to compare ASOS and PWS data.  That being said, for the past year Allentown has been averaging around 1.5F warmer than nearby stations.

565565665.JPG.1795f631eb52133b11c7c4146e8ec402.JPG

BTW just going off Tom's tweet, the last time Philly had four consecutive days of less than 80F in August was 8/27-8/30/2017. 

Next in line was 6 consecutive days from 8/18-8/23/2007.

yea that 2017 stretch was pretty epic

Finally broke 70 at 1:50 PM today. 70.4 F so far today.   :clap:

The last 2 days here in Western Chester County PA have been the lowest daily max temps in the last 37 years for August 25th and August 26th.

Yesterday's high was 71.5 breaking the previous record low max of 72.5 in 2010 and today's high of only 69.2 broke the old record of 71.1 set back in 2006,

Today's AM low was 56.7 - nowhere near the record Western Chester County low of 49.0 back in 1987.

Trying to usher in the cooler temps with a fire this evening.  My wife's idea,  not a bad idea actually. 

20190826_191804.jpg

• Like 7

gradual step down for low's locally over the past 4 mornings, 59, 58, 57 & 56 this morning

The high of 75 yesterday at PHL was the coolest for the date in 61 years, 1958

AUG has turned out to nice month here just NE of the city with temps averaging over 3 degrees cooler than PHL. I've recorded (2) 90 days while TTN has only (1) day on the books. Quite a change of pace from last year when the end of AUG thru the beginning of SEPT was a blast furnace.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 8:25 AM, colonel_kurtz said:

gradual step down for low's locally over the past 4 mornings, 59, 58, 57 & 56 this morning

The high of 75 yesterday at PHL was the coolest for the date in 61 years, 1958

AUG has turned out to nice month here just NE of the city with temps averaging over 3 degrees cooler than PHL. I've recorded (2) 90 days while TTN has only (1) day on the books. Quite a change of pace from last year when the end of AUG thru the beginning of SEPT was a blast furnace.

We have only had 3 ninety degree days ourselves, although last week it was so humid, it didn't matter 90 or not.

Today ended the string of sub 80F high temps at PHL.

We might end up being in the Erin subsidence zone and not get much rain out of the cfp.

• Like 1

I’ve seen mention of this before in the AFD and never really understood why, exactly, the Pine Barrens area is cooler. Would someone more knowledgeable than me mind explaining??

Lowered temps a bit below guidance in the more prone spots of the 
Pine Barrens in NJ as temps tend to drop much quicker there than 
most models can anticipate

56 minutes ago, JimCaruso said:

I’ve seen mention of this before in the AFD and never really understood why, exactly, the Pine Barrens area is cooler. Would someone more knowledgeable than me mind explaining??

Lowered temps a bit below guidance in the more prone spots of the 
Pine Barrens in NJ as temps tend to drop much quicker there than 
most models can anticipate

No urbanized area, all woods. So no residual heat.  Plus sandy soil allows it to cool much faster. 

• Like 2

Ended up with 0.15" yesterday.  Absolutely beautiful today.

Just call me “question boy”... Anyone else seeing a dulling / tinge of brown in the leaves already?? Doesn’t it seem early, especially given how wet the summer has been??

16 minutes ago, JimCaruso said:

Just call me “question boy”... Anyone else seeing a dulling / tinge of brown in the leaves already?? Doesn’t it seem early, especially given how wet the summer has been??

Yes but mine are mainly from those insect webs covering branches...gypsy moths mainly?  I also have spotted lanternfly feasting on a tree of heaven.  Both trees are dripping sap 24/7

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

yea, either dry stress, insects, or disease

• Like 1

Could use some rain; only .06 over last 8 days

Sun is out, high thin clouds. Probably what's keeping this from falling apart right now. 

Screenshot_20190902-073446_RadarScope.jpg