*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Boring Weather Discussion

One thing that annoys me is why does everyone always associate the muggy feeling with humidity? Maybe Tony can answer this, but on the nws heat watch statement its "heat and humidity" when the main muggy feeling is because of the dew point. The RH falls during the day and is usually around 50% or less in the afternoon. 

23 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

One thing that annoys me is why does everyone always associate the muggy feeling with humidity? Maybe Tony can answer this, but on the nws heat watch statement its "heat and humidity" when the main muggy feeling is because of the dew point. The RH falls during the day and is usually around 50% or less in the afternoon. 

From my unscientific , sarcastic reasoning:

Because you can say “man it’s humid out here”. 

Saying “man it’s dew point out here” doesn’t work!! 😂

On 8/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, tombo82685 said:

Humid has been in weather lexicon for eons. Not saying wording can’t change, but it is ingrained.

• Like 1

I associate it with being sweaty and hot...muggy is a feeling rather than a metric. When it is raining and 100% humidity I would still classify it as muggy despite lack of sun

Sun is out here. Beautiful and 72. DP still holding out at 65

My Dp finally dropped below 60. In SE BERKS 

.29" here in Sellersville today. Craptastic ride home from D.C today. Raining down there last night and all day today. Took almost 6 hours, traffic delays and accidents were ridiculous.

Nice sunset. Sleeping tonight with windows open, even nicer. 

BE968F8D-01C6-4FD3-BE2A-2304F17519B2.jpeg

• Like 10

Interestingly, it was 69 degrees at 7 AM this morning.  The temperature dropped the whole way to 63.1 around 11:15 during the heaviest of the rain showers, and then rose for the rest of the day after that.  This feels like early autumn....just incredible.  

This will easily be the nicest weekend we've had in months.

• Like 1

A wonderfully cool 57F with a 54 DP. That light breeze makes it feel a bit cooler than it is. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

It was a great week to rent at LBI. Missed the worst of the heat being at the shore with somewhat lower temps, cooling breezes off the water, and spending time in the water. But still on Thursday, after a couple hours on the beach in the morning (did not go in the ocean that day - it was only 67 degrees!), an hour fishing at high noon, and a nap outside, I had had enough of the heat and sun. Much easier to face the end of a summer vacation when it feels like fall 🙂

Over the past 12 months ABE is running significantly warmer relative to average than the other official Mt. Holly sites. I know there's been quite of bit of commercial development in the Lehigh Valley over the past 10 yrs. ASOS running warm? Combination of the two?

1572105235_MHDeps.png.ce5abcb9a829307c16e83f71010f4281.png

Temperature dropped quickly at sunset... Definitely has that fall feel. 

20190824_200932_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Even better this morning. 55 for the low and the DP was 55.

Perfect wake up and sit outside on the patio and watch the hummingbirds chase each other while sipping hot coffee morning.

• Like 1

54.1 this morning after 55.2 yesterday - me likey!

Today's climate summary for the philly burbs of Western Chester County PA at East Nantmeal Hi/Lo 71.5/55.3 and at the KMQS Chester County Airport 73.4/57.2 our 3rd straight below normal day. We should make it to 6 straight days with highs in the 70's through Wednesday - how can you not love this weather in the philly burbs!

Unfortunately for those of us down in Sea Isle City not as nice as winds have been howling here from the NNE all day with gusts as high as 28mph and a couple round of early AM rain....although we did top out here at 72.7

What a great weekend this has been weather wise. I would be perfectly content for it to stay like this and for summer to be over. But I know it will get hot and humid again before fall is really here.

• Like 1