*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Boring Weather Discussion

2 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

I just use my davis vp 2, seems pretty accurate. my 4.05 was right in line with the radar estimated totals. I have noticed though other stations like ambient or lacrosse can run high due to not calculating rainfall rates correcting that inflates totals

Yeah, and my gauge total seemed a bit high vs radar estimates. Oh well, we’ll see what the next rain event brings.  

A nearby (a mile or so away) davis station recorded 4.21”

18 hours ago, Parsley said:

Quick question....does anyone have this rain gauge? Obviously, its supposed to be the best gauge used for measurements. I was just wondering if it ever has a tendency to over measure rain amounts. Feels odd I measured the highest totals around (based on reports) but I guess anything is possible. I know I was hit by some morning storms yesterday (wasn't home) before the afternoon deluge. So the combo. could have resulted in my high rain total.

I have no other gauges on the property (digital, etc) to compare it with. I have it placed out in an open spot away from any obstructions in the back of my yard.

Thanks.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6330-Stratus-Rain-Gauge-p/6330.htm

I've used the CoCoRaHs gauge over 5 yrs, & put up an Ambient station a couple of years ago. I report the bucket total as the Ambient is always a little high especially during heavy rain. There's a CoCoRaHs observer less than a mile away & i've seen as much as a 0.40" difference, can happen with these summer dumpers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

I've used the CoCoRaHs gauge over 5 yrs, & put up an Ambient station a couple of years ago. I report the bucket total as the Ambient is always a little high especially during heavy rain. There's a CoCoRaHs observer less than a mile away & i've seen as much as a 0.40" difference, can happen with these summer dumpers.

Gotcha. Thanks. 

The older I get, the more I start to come around on Tom's summer viewpoints.  Between the wasps, yellow jackets, flies, oppressive heat, stinking trash, mowing my grass every four days, etc, I am ready for the deep freeze.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mshaffer526 said:

The older I get, the more I start to come around on Tom's summer viewpoints.  Between the wasps, yellow jackets, flies, oppressive heat, stinking trash, mowing my grass every four days, etc, I am ready for the deep freeze.

Glad I could sway another person. Welcome to the party

• Like 3

On 7/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, tombo82685 said:

You haters only option is to move though. ;)

This area is only getting toastier. Not saying I want it any hotter but that seems to be the trend. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, mshaffer526 said:

I'm always ready for the DF with +SN :)

On 7/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, tombo82685 said:

#BradfordHereWeCome

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parsley said:

You haters only option is to move though. ;)

This area is only getting toastier. Not saying I want it any hotter but that seems to be the trend. 

Nwchesco is getting colder 

We had a nice little rumbler come through last night around 9pm. No real wind, not a ton of precip but  some decent lightning. Cooled the air off, even if it made it feel like we were in a swamp.

Yeah we picked up a quarter of an inch as we got the main brunt of that weak line.

I see Northeast Philly's temp is at 97 degrees at 1pm.  Looks warmer than most spots by several degrees.  Where exactly is the thermometer at the airport there?   Is it very close to the runway?   I notice that Northeast airport generally is the hot spot in SE PA.  

temps.png

On 7/17/2019 at 1:21 PM, Gpd105 said:

I see Northeast Philly's temp is at 97 degrees at 1pm.  Looks warmer than most spots by several degrees.  Where exactly is the thermometer at the airport there?   Is it very close to the runway?   I notice that Northeast airport generally is the hot spot in SE PA.  

temps.png

I don't know, it just runs hot:

METAR Information for KPNE in N.E. PHILADELPHIA AIRPORT, PA, United States

Looks like some boring summer weather is on tap for us. Glad the extreme heat and humidity is gone, but it’s boring without the chance for some rain or thunderstorms. 

The next four days look amazing.  We are having a party on Saturday and it's going to be so nice to have a *normal* summer day.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

The next four days look amazing.  We are having a party on Saturday and it's going to be so nice to have a *normal* summer day.

Agreed.  Supposed to have about 75 Adults and children here for a balloon festival party. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankdp23 said:

Agreed.  Supposed to have about 75 Adults and children here for a balloon festival party. 

Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Some years, the atmosphere just likes to spin.  This was Pennsville NJ yesterday (7/23). Photo from Ashley Rivera.

1.JPG.7483746a40117563ab7cbd6aa96e816d.JPG

• Like 2