Jump to content

*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!


Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Boring Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

The 0.15" we had yesterday was probably better for the grass than the 1.46" we had in 30 minutes on Saturday.

Anyway given the GFS is forecasting only 15C/16C today and Wednesday at 850mb, it would be a very discouraging sign (for next week) if PHL hit 90F on either day given last week's wetness. My max temp WAGing skills have been poorer this summer (missing by as much as 3F). So given that I will make my hate the 90s bias come into play and give PHL an 88 max today & 89 max tomorrow.

PHL max today was 87 which with a 15C or 16C 850mb makes sense.  The smoky sky and in a backhanded way the still in the 60s dew points didn't hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another 15C predicted for 2 pm this afternoon at PHL at 850mb by GFS, so I'll stick with a non 90 moral victory if one can call it that 88F high for today (7/10). 

HRRR still has wildfire smoke passing over us today, so in that regard, that wouldn't hurt being sub 90F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

how much snow did you get from the Boxing day storm?

Around 25-26"  It was hard to measure that one because the winds and drifts.  That is my favorite snowstorm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty amazing how much relativity comes into play with weather and comfort levels.  The other day I thought it was pretty comfortable outside--checked the dew point and it was almost 70.  But with a dew point in the upper 70s previous, it felt "drier".  Blech.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Another 15C predicted for 2 pm this afternoon at PHL at 850mb by GFS, so I'll stick with a non 90 moral victory if one can call it that 88F high for today (7/10). 

HRRR still has wildfire smoke passing over us today, so in that regard, that wouldn't hurt being sub 90F.

Well Philly hit 90F today, so much for the 15C 850mb temp today.  If 22C @925mb is a better proxy for hitting and forecasting a high of 90F, Philly could have high(s) of 90F the next four or five days.  We "only" hit 89F today in Mount Laurel, so we had that going for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weather sucks. Going back to Yellowstone where the temps were in the 60's for high's!! No humidity either!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cbelke said:

This weather sucks. Going back to Yellowstone where the temps were in the 60's for high's!! No humidity either!!

post some more snow pic's :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PWS hit 89.6 yesterday at 4:24 - which Wunderground now rounds up to 90. That's two in the <89.5 and <90.0 category for the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PreserveJon said:

PWS hit 89.6 yesterday at 4:24 - which Wunderground now rounds up to 90. That's two in the <89.5 and <90.0 category for the summer. 

Based on a predicted 22C at 925mb the next several days, Philly too can have cheap 90 degree highs today and then Saturday thru Monday.  For all I know our PWS had a high of 89.4F yesterday which wunderground would now lower to 89F.  I know instruments are not that accurate, but in winter time when we deal with freezing rain scenarios and temperature trends, it would be nice to see that tenth again displayed instead of having to dial into the station itself.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a quick 0.50" - starting to wind down - 72F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several friends out in the Pittsburgh area reporting flash flooding...no surprise there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Based on a predicted 22C at 925mb the next several days, Philly too can have cheap 90 degree highs today and then Saturday thru Monday.  For all I know our PWS had a high of 89.4F yesterday which wunderground would now lower to 89F.  I know instruments are not that accurate, but in winter time when we deal with freezing rain scenarios and temperature trends, it would be nice to see that tenth again displayed instead of having to dial into the station itself.

 

At least today it is looking more likely that we avoid the cheap 90F high, lots of clouds and precip already in PA.   Going to start an obs thread for today (7/11).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We now rejoin you to your original program joined already in progress:  "Predicted 22C 925mb Temps & Cheap 90 Degree Highs"

90.JPG.106c1184e7ad05bfa9c225335176e2df.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

We now rejoin you to your original program joined already in progress:  "Predicted 22C 925mb Temps & Cheap 90 Degree Highs"

90.JPG.106c1184e7ad05bfa9c225335176e2df.JPG

 

 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cbelke said:

 

 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least those dew points could be worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rainshadow said:

At least those dew points could be worse.

True, but they still suck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cbelke said:

True, but they still suck.

They will pretty much suck until October 19th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

They will pretty much suck until January 19th.

fixed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question....does anyone have this rain gauge? Obviously, its supposed to be the best gauge used for measurements. I was just wondering if it ever has a tendency to over measure rain amounts. Feels odd I measured the highest totals around (based on reports) but I guess anything is possible. I know I was hit by some morning storms yesterday (wasn't home) before the afternoon deluge. So the combo. could have resulted in my high rain total.

I have no other gauges on the property (digital, etc) to compare it with. I have it placed out in an open spot away from any obstructions in the back of my yard.

Thanks.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6330-Stratus-Rain-Gauge-p/6330.htm

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Quick question....does anyone have this rain gauge? Obviously, its supposed to be the best gauge used for measurements. I was just wondering if it ever has a tendency to over measure rain amounts. Feels odd I measured the highest totals around (based on reports) but I guess anything is possible. I know I was hit by some morning storms yesterday (wasn't home) before the afternoon deluge. So the combo. could have resulted in my high rain total.

I have no other gauges on the property (digital, etc) to compare it with. I have it placed out in an open spot away from any obstructions in the back of my yard.

Thanks.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6330-Stratus-Rain-Gauge-p/6330.htm

 

 

Yes, I have this gauge for CoCoRaHs measurements.  Yesterday it recorded 2.11", and my Ambient recorded 2.26".  It is generally extremely reliable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

Yes, I have this gauge for CoCoRaHs measurements.  Yesterday it recorded 2.11", and my Ambient recorded 2.26".  It is generally extremely reliable. 

Thanks. I always like having a back up to compare so I'll get another type out soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Parsley said:

Quick question....does anyone have this rain gauge? Obviously, its supposed to be the best gauge used for measurements. I was just wondering if it ever has a tendency to over measure rain amounts. Feels odd I measured the highest totals around (based on reports) but I guess anything is possible. I know I was hit by some morning storms yesterday (wasn't home) before the afternoon deluge. So the combo. could have resulted in my high rain total.

I have no other gauges on the property (digital, etc) to compare it with. I have it placed out in an open spot away from any obstructions in the back of my yard.

Thanks.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6330-Stratus-Rain-Gauge-p/6330.htm

 

 

Those are generally the most reliable gauges. The digital ones are the ones that usually have errors due to excessive rainfall rates 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Those are generally the most reliable gauges. The digital ones are the ones that usually have errors due to excessive rainfall rates 

Yeah. I’ve noticed that. I’ll probably go with 2 bucket gauges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Yeah. I’ve noticed that. I’ll probably go with 2 bucket gauges. 

I just use my davis vp 2, seems pretty accurate. my 4.05 was right in line with the radar estimated totals. I have noticed though other stations like ambient or lacrosse can run high due to not calculating rainfall rates correcting that inflates totals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...