*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Sign in to follow this  
tombo82685

enhanced risk of severe storms 4/14-4/15

Nothing severe other than a couple of close lightning strikes and very brief, but distinct hail hitting the roof. Estimate pea sized hail for about a minute, there were some heavy "thunks" on the roof so I'm sure a few larger pieces were mixing in. 

.74" of rain as of 6 AM, top wind gust here was 18 mph at 1:10 AM. The main front came through at 3 AM and I could hear the wind roaring but those winds weren't making it to the ground and only recorded 15 mph winds during that time.

• Like 2

We were under that tornado warning (I didn’t know at the time), we had some very intense rain and wind around 3:45. It was legit.

0711   60  BROOKHAVEN DELAWARE PA 3988 7539 (PHI)
0720   60 1 SSW MANTUA PHILADELPHIA PA 3995 7520 (PHI)
0727   63 PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIO PHILADELPHIA PA 3988 7522 (PHI)

0741   58 NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA PHILADELPHIA PA 4009 7502 (PHI)
0755   60 EASTAMPTON TWP BURLINGTON NJ 4000 7475 (PHI)

0800 UNK HAMILTON TWP MERCER NJ 4023 7472 MULTIPLE LARGE TREES DOWN. (PHI)

0839 UNK MIDDLETOWN TWP MONMOUTH NJ 4040 7410 MEDIA REPORTS OF DOWNED TREES IN MIDDLETOWN. (PHI)
  • Like 1

0.36" - second column from left above is gust wind speed. Woke up briefly to heavy rain and wind at 3:22

For 345 in the morning, it was very impressive.  The strong winds (I'd estimate 40 to 50 mph) lasted for 10 to 15 minutes.  We were lucky in terms of time of day and the trees not being fully leafed yet.

• Like 1

0.70” IMBY, no major winds  

enough close lightning strikes to wake both my kids up. Hence why I was tracking at 3:30am last night. 

0.80" .  Nice gift by Mother Nature since we are getting yards of top soil delivered this week to remind me where the standing water has been all winter long in our backyard.

Very frequent lightning around 5AM (1-2 flashes per second). Dry air is trying to move in now, so I'm seeing some interesting localized clashes of air masses

IMG_20190415_074643845.jpg

• Like 5

MBY, winds gusted between 30-40 mph for brief times... Otherwise, heavy rain was the most notable weather.

With that said, this was a pretty solid severe weather event regionwide, especially when considering not only the time of year, but the time of day as well. :)

I think it is done raining (famous last words) for now. Added another .05" and a quick rumble of thunder as well.

.79"  and the winds are picking up.

It was neat in Collegeville. First batch of strong winds with maybe 50 mph gusts at 2:35 AM and then stronger gusts up to maybe 60 mph at around 3:10 with more lightning and a few rumbles of thunder. Definitely had that gust/lull/gust thing that made me pay special attention just in case a Tornado Warning was issued.

• Like 2

Somehow I slept through the whole thing aside from groggily shutting the bedroom window when it was rumbling closer. Checked my phone this morning to see a TOR warning at 3:45. Oops. Thanks for posting that radar loop, very impressive!

• Like 1

0.59" today, peak wind gust 42 mph with initial storms, actually recorded 43 mph around 10:45am.  Also noted small hail with the first push of storms around 3:35am.  My puppy was losing her mind.

Interesting little tidbit from my weather station--before the storms passed through here, pressure was at its minimum, 993.2 mb.  Then pressure SHOT UP to 996.2 mb, then immediately dropped back down to 994 mb, all between 3-4am.  Makes me wonder if there was some kind of meso-low flying through. 

Also checked three other PWS near my house, all had the same pressure tracing.

15 minutes ago, snowlurker said:

Saw on news last night that there was a (suspected?) EF-2 near Seaford in Sussex County, DE.

Confirmed:  That is a long path length for our area.

6565.JPG.b6228ff18aa06cc6eb02187b37e663fd.JPG

BTW this was the first F2 or EF2 tornado in Delaware since 2004 and the first of that strength in Sussex County since 1984.

To me (I have had a couple in my lifetime) having severe weather at this hour of the morning is never easy on anyone.  Props to Mount Holly for having a tornado warning in effect.

666798.JPG.6e7f646e0b6f15041f7cd2d10c087e0d.JPG

4 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

BTW this was the first F2 or EF2 tornado in Delaware since 2004 and the first of that strength in Sussex County since 1984.

To me (I have had a couple in my lifetime) having severe weather at this hour of the morning is never easy on anyone.  Props to Mount Holly for having a tornado warning in effect.

666798.JPG.6e7f646e0b6f15041f7cd2d10c087e0d.JPG

This is a big deal for our (admittedly) little state.

Updated. Not bad for mid-Atlantic. Several weak tornadoes in Pa and eastern shore.

190414_rpts.gif.png

The storm that produced the wind damage between Chester and Camden along the river had pretty much

a signature for straight-line winds, albeit over a sizeable area.  Perhaps that is why a tornado warning was

issued, although the polygon should have been smaller.  Too many people away from the path of the

damaging winds were warned for a tornado, which could lead to complacency in similar scenarios.  Down in

Delaware, the storm that went through Laurel was warned for a tornado by Wakefield as it approached the

CWA border, and the warning was continued by Mount Holly as in entered Sussex county.  That storm did have

a circulation, and it was very easy to identify on the SRV of KDOX at 3:39 and 3:45 AM scans, which

encompassed the path of the tornado.  It is only the second EF2 or greater tornado in the CWA since 2009, with

the other being on the Eastern Shore in 2017 (also in the early AM).  The prior F2/EF2 for Delaware was the

damaging and costly (in terms of dollars) New Castle-Wilmington Manor-Elsmere tornado of 9/28/04, which

formed from the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne.  Surprisingly, nobody was killed and only 5 injuries occurred

despite the number of people in the path.  A warning was issued before the tornado occurred, which certainly

helped.  Tony may know some more about that particular event.

• Like 1