Sign in to follow this  
snowlurker

Weather in Paris between Christmas and NYE?

My family is going to Paris between Christmas and NYE and I'd like to prepare for whatever mother nature throws at us since we'll be frequently outside.

While Paris is not known for snow that lingers or for frigid temperatures (average high/low is 46/38), I don't want to bring lighter coats if it's going to experience an arctic outbreak. I also don't want to bring bulky cold weather coats if it's going to be in the 50s. I'm trying to avoid buying and packing six pairs of boots, but on the other hand I don't want everyone walking through slush in casual shoes.

Can anyone recommend a site(s) that will help me predict the weather there up to two weeks out? I've heard that Accuweather is GFS verbatim, so I don't want to rely upon that. 

59 minutes ago, snowlurker said:

My family is going to Paris between Christmas and NYE and I'd like to prepare for whatever mother nature throws at us since we'll be frequently outside.

While Paris is not known for snow that lingers or for frigid temperatures (average high/low is 46/38), I don't want to bring lighter coats if it's going to experience an arctic outbreak. I also don't want to bring bulky cold weather coats if it's going to be in the 50s. I'm trying to avoid buying and packing six pairs of boots, but on the other hand I don't want everyone walking through slush in casual shoes.

Can anyone recommend a site(s) that will help me predict the weather there up to two weeks out? I've heard that Accuweather is GFS verbatim, so I don't want to rely upon that. 

Weather.us site can be viewed for Europe also:

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/europe/temperature-f/20181206-1800z.html

Tropical Tidbits also has a  "Europe" Sector where you can run through some models going out 15 days. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=eu&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2018120612&fh=6

My advice, since I always give my in-laws (who travel all over the globe) forecasts before a trip is start looking at things now and follow the general patterns the 2-3 weeks leading up to your trip. It takes a little time to get accustomed to the different geography/patterns but all in all you can pick up on things easy once you've been following the weather for a week or so on the other side of the globe.

37 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Tropical Tidbits also has a  "Europe" Sector where you can run through some models going out 15 days. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=eu&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2018120612&fh=6

My advice, since I always give my in-laws (who travel all over the globe) forecasts before a trip is start looking at things now and follow the general patterns the 2-3 weeks leading up to your trip. It takes a little time to get accustomed to the different geography/patterns but all in all you can pick up on things easy once you've been following the weather for a week or so on the other side of the globe.

Thanks!