Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Ugh. EST & Pre 5 PM Sunsets Are Back....The Loss Of Afternoon Sun Is Done!

It is the poster time EST-Dec 20th for depression.  I do not post this jokingly, I have known people who suffer from it.  The holidays probably don't help them much either, may make matters worse. I would really really really hate this month if Christmas was in April. 

5 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

It is the poster time EST-Dec 20th for depression.  I do not post this jokingly, I have known people who suffer from it.  The holidays probably don't help them much either, may make matters worse. I would really really really hate this month if Christmas was in April. 

100% agree. Depression runs on both side of my family and this time of year creates a tougher battle for them. Then there are others who suffer from SAD, Seasonal affective disorder.

Sadly, stubborness is keeping by parents from moving south (South Carolina) where they love to be in the winter. I won't make their mistake if given the opportunity to retire and live comfortably someplace sunnier and warmer November-May.

The sun will begin setting later this week--a thing of beauty.  

Regarding SAD, it doesn't really hit me until the holidays are over.  

2 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

The sun will begin setting later this week--a thing of beauty.  

Regarding SAD, it doesn't really hit me until the holidays are over.  

Yeah, luckily December has the holidays. Thereafter, I rely on snow to get me through the rest of winter. Once February rolls around you really start to notice the longer days and the improving sun angle (a snow lovers enemy). 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

You can get sunrise/sunsets for your township from this link.  Mount Laurel's early sunset is a tie between today and tomorrow.

https://sunrise-sunset.org/search?location=mount+laurel%2C+nj

Not too shabby, gaining 10 minutes daylight on the back end of the day by dec 31.  

7 hours ago, Parsley said:

100% agree. Depression runs on both side of my family and this time of year creates a tougher battle for them. Then there are others who suffer from SAD, Seasonal affective disorder.

Sadly, stubborness is keeping by parents from moving south (South Carolina) where they love to be in the winter. I won't make their mistake if given the opportunity to retire and live comfortably someplace sunnier and warmer November-May.

Totally understand and empathize...

but “give up snow”?!

2 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Totally understand and empathize...

but “give up snow”?!

The older I get the less important it feels to me, personally. Doesn’t mean I don’t love it still. In another 20 years, when I’m 60 I think I could live without it. 

10 minutes ago, Parsley said:

The older I get the less important it feels to me, personally. Doesn’t mean I don’t love it still. In another 20 years, when I’m 60 I think I could live without it. 

Well, I’m “there” (59) and you might be pleasantly surprised when you get “there”...

I feel no different (mentally) than I did when I was in my late 20’s (not necessarily a good thing) and only slightly different physically than I did in my late 30’s/40’s!!!

In fact, I think I hunger more now for snow than I did during my “younger” years and would move to coastal Maine in a NY minute if it weren’t for my wife constantly reminding me that out “kids” and grandkids live in the Philly area.

Keep me updated when you hit 60 (and I’m 80 and retired in FL) 😏

• Like 2

We need hygge! I may try to plan a hygge party later in the winter... January or February... or maybe one each month!

On 12/6/2018 at 4:54 PM, Rainshadow said:

You can get sunrise/sunsets for your township from this link.  Mount Laurel's early sunset is a tie between today and tomorrow.

https://sunrise-sunset.org/search?location=mount+laurel%2C+nj

This is the best website I've found, thanks.

One thing I have always enjoyed telling people about are the sunrise/sunset differences within a single time zone.  Even between our location and Mt. Laurel, you rise and set about three minutes earlier than we do. 

Then you have places like Ontonagon, MI, about as far northwest you can get in the Eastern Time Zone (in the US, anyway).  There, the sun rises at 8:30 and sets at 5:05.  Despite being seven degrees of latitude north of us, their sun still sets a half hour later.  Of course, they pay for it on the front end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mshaffer526 said:

This is the best website I've found, thanks.

One thing I have always enjoyed telling people about are the sunrise/sunset differences within a single time zone.  Even between our location and Mt. Laurel, you rise and set about three minutes earlier than we do. 

Then you have places like Ontonagon, MI, about as far northwest you can get in the Eastern Time Zone (in the US, anyway).  There, the sun rises at 8:30 and sets at 5:05.  Despite being seven degrees of latitude north of us, their sun still sets a half hour later.  Of course, they pay for it on the front end.

I experienced that when I visited my friend in Cleveland one summer.  He used to love to go to drive-in movies (well those days are gone).  I remember having to wait til 10 pm for the movie to start.   The way I feel, I really would hate to be living near the eastern edge of any time zone.

• Like 2